Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Should have mentioned in the photos post #40, that's a Yamaha RX-V6A with the hood off.

U

uncola

Enthusiast
Anyone have an issue where sometimes the tsr700 won't play bitstreamed 5.1 movie audio, but it will work with 2 channel pcm? I'm using an intel nuc htpc as source.

U

uncola

Enthusiast
I tried to watch The White Tiger on netflix and my screen went black and after rebooting the intel nuc and turning the receiver off an on, it would only play PCM, not bitstreaming audio

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
New Yamaha receivers alleged to host 24 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports by Phil Jones

In this recap talk on HDMI 2.1 spec, Phil Jones from Sound United alleges that Yamaha has implemented HDMI 2.1 chips with 24 Gbps speed only, which means DSC compression for higher bandwidth signals in pipeline, especially 4K120 with higher colours and HDR. The allegation is that these AVRs effectively have half of possible bandwidth of 48 Gbps.

If true, owners of home theatres with at least one device that can only work with uncompressed signals, such as LG TV 9 series, would not be able to use new Yamaha's receivers fully, beyond 4K60 HDR RGB or beyond 4K120 HDR 4:2:0 content, as this is where compression kicks in. LG C9 is expected to show black screen if run above those settings, as it does not support DSC in its EDID.

It could potentailly be a serious bottleneck issue and deal breaker for many people, rendering those receivers unfit or with limited use with majority of HDMI 2.1 gen devices with uncompressed traffic above 24 Gbps, such as TVs, consoles, GPUs and incoming monitors, PCs and NUCs.

(minutes 14-15 in the video)

Is Phil Jones telling us something that Yamaha does not want customers to know about their HDMI 2.1 multiple ports? He might be throwing a bit of dirty water into competitor's garden. It's a great way to divert attention from Denon's shameful black screens when connected to Microsoft's console and unstable dynamic images from games and renderings played by graphics cards connected to it. Sound United still owes the public and owners of their AVRs a permanent solution for these serious problems and the solution cannot be a permanent silence.

However, if alleged HDMI 2.1 port speeds true, Yamaha'd better think twice before releasing those high tier models until new, faster chips come in later on this year. They have not published the speed of their HDMI ports. It will be important for many customers to know. They should inform current owners about it too.

No one has encountered any bigger problems with new Yamahas because they still have not enabled HDMI 2.1 features through firmware. The HDMI 2.1 FRL mode (speeds mostly above 18Gpbs) and the higher resolutions and frame rates it allows will be enabled in a future firmware update. If anyone buys all these new AVRs now or already owns them, they won't know if it's limited to alleged 24 Gbps until that update is released. It could probably be long after their return period has expired, if owners find published alleged speed unacceptable interpretation of HDMI 2.1. Many would think that this is "bare bones" HMDI 2.1. That's why we need to know the true speeds of HDMI 2.1 ports on these AVRs sooner rather than later. Thank you.

Last edited:
U

uncola

Enthusiast
My projector is only 1080p. I might be returning this unit to costco :(

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My projector is only 1080p. I might be returning this unit to costco :(
No reason to return it if you are running 1080p. If you are having issues, make sure you are running the latest firmware update, 1.26. As for HDMI 2.1, let it be a lesson to everybody not to market something that isn't even finalized yet in the hopes that it will just work with your hardware. It is a non issue if you do not plan to game in anything above 4K @60fps. It sucks for gamers who were looking forward to it with their PS5 or Xbox Series X. I wouldn't be pointing fingers or laughing at anybody else if I were at Sound United. I wouldn't release the Aventage 6 and 8 models without new chips if I were Yamaha. I'm glad I bought a 2019 Onkyo that didn't promise something it couldn't deliver and I'm also glad Yamaha kicked over a free RX-V6A after I returned a TSR-700 so I do not feel cheated if it never delivers on it's HDMI features.

U

uncola

Enthusiast
I'm using firmware 1.26 and it's an epson 8350 projector thats 1080p. I'll give it another week but it's having an issue recognizing bitstreams.. tried Jriver and codi and make sure. Had hdmi passthrough enabled.. my old onkyo txnr609 didn't have any problems.. sometimes the yamaha works sometimes it doesn't.. I'll rerun the ypao setup again tonight.. and reset to factory defaults first

W

WMalinak

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone with a RX-V6A/TSR-700 (or recent similar) used the Musiccast to get into Options... to set speaker/subwoofer levels?
Yes, but I'm betting there is more to that question...how can I help?
Might you be asking HOW to get into the Sound Settings via MusicCast via phone app *or* whether it is worth it?

Aside...for such capabilities, I prefer using the Speaker tab via Web Setup (accessed via your receiver IPaddr, as in: w.x.y.z/Setup).

Last edited:
L

Los Pollos 2000

Enthusiast
Yes, but I'm betting there is more to that question...how can I help?
Might you be asking HOW to get into the Sound Settings via MusicCast via phone app *or* whether it is worth it?

Aside...for such capabilities, I prefer using the Speaker tab via Web Setup (accessed via your receiver IPaddr, as in: w.x.y.z/Setup).
Nice! Thanks for replying!

Finding a way to use the remote or iPad to get to adjusting my subwoofer via setup/options would be great.
I specifically planned my music setup to purposely exclude a TV.
So needing to plug in a TV anytime I want/need to adjust setup/options on the receiver is not great.

The last Yamaha receiver I purchased 17-18 years ago allows me to make these adjustments via remote which is why I didn't see this issue coming. An easy option could be to swap my receivers.

I just got started with a vintage receiver I was given, when it died on me leaving me with no appetite to enter the vintage market at this time. I was at Costco and the TSR700 was on sale, I figured I'd at least give it a test drive since Bestbuy would not have a similar range Denon AVR-S650H available for over a week.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-700
Sub: Klipsch R-12SW
Speakers: Yamaha NS-6490
TT: U-Turn Orbit Custom Grado Black3

W

WMalinak

Audioholic Intern
Nice! Thanks for replying!

Finding a way to use the remote or iPad to get to adjusting my subwoofer via setup/options would be great.
I specifically planned my music setup to purposely exclude a TV.
So needing to plug in a TV anytime I want/need to adjust setup/options on the receiver is not great.
I just got started with a vintage receiver I was given, when it died on me leaving me with no appetite to enter the vintage market at this time. I was at Costco and the TSR700 was on sale, I figured I'd at least give it a test drive ...
Were you able to get it configured & running?

There are many options...I like (and everybody in our home has different needs)
  • Web Setup for deep configurations
  • MusicCast for quick real-time control (remote replacement, needed for easy Pandora Station switching and multi-room linking)
  • Remote is good...especially if you have setup SCENES properly.
  • Front Panel -- almost never (just to Initial CONNECTION *and* TURN OFF after updates)

However, I think I did use Remote Setup + on Screen TV for these (and don't remember trying to do it another way).
  • Internet Setups (I have multiple units, wired & wireless)
  • YPAO
  • adding MusicCast

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
Can TV makers make a setting in the TV to make it into a dumb monitor and turn all features off except the display settings that need to be used just for video? Let the AVR do the work.
Unlikely since the TV is becoming the Smart device now and the AVRs are actually lagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
So something pretty cool I noticed the other day. I was playing shadow of the tomb raider and the plane crash scene (not the intro one) that had rain hitting the top of the top of the plane, I could hear the rain drops clearing overhead hitting the metal roof. Now while that might not mean a lot, this was on PS5 that does not support atmos for gaming (but does for blu ray). The receiver was taking the 5.1 signal (which is displayed as) and converting it into atmos for the overheads. And did so accurately. It was pretty impressive.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. Sounds like you had it set to Dolby Surround mode. Dolby decided not to go with Pro Logic IIIA or some such name and simply went with Dolby Surround. It simply means it is taking whatever Dolby signal you are feeding it other than Atmos and sending information to the Dolby/height/overhead speakers as well. DTS calls their process Neural:X so at least you know exactly what is going on. Dolby could have at least called it Dolby Almost.:D I had gone down to 5.1 and am waiting for the Dolby Height Virtualization update for the Yamaha. Still no word yet on DTS Virtual:X being in the little droid’s future.:confused:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. Sounds like you had it set to Dolby Surround mode. Dolby decided not to go with Pro Logic IIIA or some such name and simply went with Dolby Surround. It simply means it is taking whatever Dolby signal you are feeding it other than Atmos and sending information to the Dolby/height/overhead speakers as well. DTS calls their process Neural:X so at least you know exactly what is going on. Dolby could have at least called it Dolby Almost.:D I had gone down to 5.1 and am waiting for the Dolby Height Virtualization update for the Yamaha. Still no word yet on DTS Virtual:X being in the little droid’s future.:confused:
Yeah Yamaha needs to hurry up with the updates!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just posting any news I get from Yamaha in this thread and it may not always be about these models specifically. Also read about firmware updates scheduled for late April somewhere. So, we’ll see.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Dolby Almos’.... that’s awesome....lmao

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis