Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well the issues some of us are having may not be a firmware issue, but an issue with the HDMI 2.1 boards itself. Saw this on YouTube. It’s not limited to Yamaha
Thanks for posting this up! I'll be sending my RX-V6A back today as soon as World Wide Stereo opens up today. Like I said my V6A is all good and I don't game but knowing this, that in the Future I'll have to send it in to Yamaha to have the board changed out just as soon send it back now get a refund and pickup something else. Dam the bad luck!

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Man that’s going to be a lot of units to change out or will they just fix the existing boards I’d be Leary of a just repaired brand new unit from any manufacturer at this point .

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for posting this up! I'll be sending my RX-V6A back today as soon as World Wide Stereo opens up today. Like I said my V6A is all good and I don't game but knowing this that in the Future I'll have to send it in to Yamaha to have the board changed out just as soon send it back now get a refund and pickup something else. Dam the bad luck!
Yeah it is very unfortunate, but with HDMI 2.1 being very new I guess it was to be expected. I have until January 16th to take mine back so I will use it for audio only (the way it’s currently setup) and keep my eyes open for a replacement during that time period.

That being said, I wonder if there will be an issue with the 2.1 boards in TVs? Are Panasonic the suppliers for TVs?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah it is very unfortunate, but with HDMI 2.1 being very new I guess it was to be expected. I have until January 16th to take mine back so I will use it for audio only (the way it’s currently setup) and keep my eyes open for a replacement during that time period.
Thing is my V6A isn't doing the banding thing, just won't upconvert to 4K it does pass though 4K from my 4K player. I could just live with the 2.1 issues I don't game and I won't be doing the 8K thing. Sending it back for a full refund makes better sense at this time. Dam the bad luck.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I checked my phone last night and realized unknown callers were being sent to voicemail. Yamaha did return my call and said to try them again Monday morning. Support is available by phone from 7am PST to 1pm PST. Chat time is extended to 5pm PST. I think I'll talk to them before I return the TSR-700. I'm curious to hear about any tricks and/or work arounds they may advise. Then, I'll give em' hell. :p On a side note, I had more issues with it yesterday and reset it to the default settings. I wasn't looking forward to renaming the inputs using that GUI. I turned HDMI CEC and ARC back on in the TV and then the Yamaha. The Yamaha used the TV's info for my devices and applied the names to the corresponding inputs. That was kinda' cool.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Dang. I just picked up a V6A to play with. Now it sounds like this needs to go back but worse what do you do in the mean time? It sounds like this impacts every unit in the field now so nothing is free from this until Panasonic gets a fix. This is the problem with one company controlling the market for a single component. Wow.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Dang. I just picked up a V6A to play with. Now it sounds like this needs to go back but worse what do you do in the mean time? It sounds like this impacts every unit in the field now so nothing is free from this until Panasonic gets a fix. This is the problem with one company controlling the market for a single component. Wow.
I may keep my V6A, i'm sure Yamaha will get it all worked out. There are some 2019 a880, a1080 still out there but from internet Marketers like HDVision and others I don't know that can be trusted.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I may keep my V6A, i'm sure Yamaha will get it all worked out. There are some 2019 a880, a1080 still out there but from internet Marketers like HDVision and others I don't know that can be trusted.
I believe I have until Jan 15th to return as I found mine locally at BB so I might just do the same. If they can't fix this with a firmware update they'll have to do something regardless whether it be a recall/board swap or whatever. The bug seems to impact what the biggest selling point of these receivers are when considering them for the new HDMI spec.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I believe I have until Jan 15th to return as I found mine locally at BB so I might just do the same. If they can't fix this with a firmware update they'll have to do something regardless whether it be a recall/board swap or whatever. The bug seems to impact what the biggest selling point of these receivers are when considering them for the new HDMI spec.
I'm sure Yamaha gonna make good, just as Denon and Marantz will. I like my V6A, as for audio I'm digging the DTS-X Neutral. There isn't much out there right now All 2019 AVR's are already out dated. I didn't want to spend 1000 or more on a AVR that's out dated already. I say I won't get a 8K TV, but in 2 or 3 years I may. Both of my Son's have Yamahas, a1080 and a1050 and my V6A sounds every bit as good as theirs.
Here is a pic of my V6A with the hood off, Two big ole Panasonic chips sitting right on the board.
D9318ADE-F763-4ACF-977F-4AA5128B5129.jpeg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I am really impressed with the sound of the TSR-700 as well. If the 8K @60/4K@120 was the only issue, I don't think I'd care as much about it. It is a shame though because, as Xenochron stated, it was really the selling point of the new AVRs and gaming consoles this year. For me, the GUI is painful to use and HDMI CEC and ARC have been very unreliable. If Yamaha can work those things out, I would like to keep mine. Even if the chips were ok, I doubt it would be a trouble free experience when combining different brand TVs, AVRs and gaming consoles. You might have luck with an LG TV, Denon AVR and PS5. You might have no luck with a Samsung TV, Yamaha AVR and XBOX Series X.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I am really impressed with the sound of the TSR-700 as well. If the 8K @60/4K@120 was the only issue, I don't think I'd care as much about it. It is a shame though because, as Xenochron stated, it was really the selling point of the new AVRs and gaming consoles this year. For me, the GUI is painful to use and HDMI CEC and ARC have been very unreliable. If Yamaha can work those things out, I would like to keep mine. Even if the chips were ok, I doubt it would be a trouble free experience when combining different brand TVs, AVRs and gaming consoles. You might have luck with an LG TV, Denon AVR and PS5. You might have no luck with a Samsung TV, Yamaha AVR and XBOX Series X.
Gotta say not just Yamaha, also Denon and Marantz drop the ball on this 2.1 thing. I believe I'll keep mine. Outside of not upscaling to 4K from my Cox cable box everything else is good no drop outs of video or black TV screen. Like I stated DTS-X Neutral is pretty damn awesome. Yamaha gonna come around and do a fix they got very Deep pockets.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Not sure if this is a problem with this receiver or something I have set wrong that I can’t figure out but anything I try to play back from my Apple TV 4K that has Atmos toggles back and forth between straight and Dolby Decoder on the front of the A and I can’t get it to stop unless I turn Atmos off on the Apple TV. What’s weird is I got Baby Driver to playback fine and the receiver says it is receiving an Atmos signal but some other movies like Last Jedi and MI Fallout I get no audio and the toggling display.

Receiver reports audio signal format of DTHD when it doesn’t work and no other info. As it turns out also Baby Driver doesn’t work all the time and when it doesn’t the audio info is the same thing.

Anyone else see this or did I miss something?

edit/adding:
Looking back at other posts again this sounds like some other Apple TV 4K issues.

Funny enough while reading other posts I had left Star Wars Last Jedi playing and about 20 minutes audio started working and Atmos shows as the signal being sent. Very odd.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That is happening to me all too often. I thought it displayed DTSHD the first time. I changed the display info on the front panel to display the current audio codec and now I can see it as DTHD. It changes to ATMOS/PCM after a moment but sometimes without putting out any sound. I had to disable ATMOS in the Apple TV to stop the issue. My output resolution keeps changing as well and 4K resolution option goes away and I am forced to restart the Apple TV.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
That is happening to me all too often. I thought it displayed DTSHD the first time. I changed the display info on the front panel to display the current audio codec and now I can see it as DTHD. It changes to ATMOS/PCM after a moment but sometimes without putting out any sound. I had to disable ATMOS in the Apple TV to stop the issue. My output resolution keeps changing as well and 4K resolution option goes away and I am forced to restart the Apple TV.
Sadly it sounds like we will have to wait for a firmware update but at least this doesn’t sound related to the hdmi 2.1 fiasco with the Panasonic chips although who knows could be another bug.

Disappointed, as my main reason for even wanting to get this sooner than later was to play with Atmos while I had a few extra speakers to work with. I had an older AVR I could use which was working fine so all the monkeying around for this new receiver seems to be for nothing right now. Hoping a firmware update comes soon.

I am still blown away that this Panasonic chip problem however could make it past so many engineering and testing groups and yet be discovered almost immediately by reviewers and users in the real world. Even is Atmos issue is telling. Is anyone at these companies even doing ANY Quality Assurance or testing?

Time for some of the places like Audioholics and other audio influencers to ask some tough questions to these manufacturers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just Apple TV 4K for me. Well, at least with Atmos. It can't handle DTS HD Master Audio from my Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD player either. Sony UBP-X800 works perfectly.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
@Trebdp83 and @XenoChron is the misbehavior with codecs just streaming or also bluray?
I’ve only got the streaming sources and a PS4 to test with. No problem so far with PS4 just Apple TV but it clearly is the receiver.

I’m now consistently seeing a black screen occasionally switching to different sources but most importantly if I switch to my TV and playback something using a built in app which is using ARC to send Audio to the receiver I can’t get video back on HDMI1 where I have my Apple TV hooked up. I get a black screen only and it won’t return until I cycle the power on either the receiver or the Apple TV. When I turn the receiver off it goes into bypass or straight through mode or whatever it is called and I get the picture back once off so the receiver is definitely causing the issue. Turning power back on picture stays up still. Fortunately I don’t use the TV apps much but still frustrating. Hard to explain to the wife why this new stuff doesn’t work as well as the old and see it as an “improvement”! :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Still on hold, was seventh in the queue, now third. Made strong coffee, so good for a bit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis