Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, better not to damage them if they were going to be returned. So, I tried different settings in the RX-V6A. Regardless of speaker size or the Extra Bass feature being ON or OFF, the subwoofers were active when set to Use. Many posts ago, I remember my TSR-700 had set my speakers to Large after running YPAO and the subwoofers were active. Your unit should function this way as well. If not, something may be going on with it.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Yeah, better not to damage them if they were going to be returned. So, I tried different settings in the RX-V6A. Regardless of speaker size or the Extra Bass feature being ON or OFF, the subwoofers were active when set to Use. Many posts ago, I remember my TSR-700 had set my speakers to Large after running YPAO and the subwoofers were active. Your unit should function this way as well. If not, something may be going on with it.
I'll play with this setting a bit further tonight and see what happens with it and report back. It was late and maybe I misread something. I'll remember to take a shot of the TV/AVR interface next time. I didn't think to do that before.

There are an awful lot of squirrely things with these yamaha receivers. I like mine I just wish they'd nail down some of the bugs.

adaniely

adaniely

Audiophyte
If those are dust caps then they are on there in such a way as to make them impossible to remove. I’ve had the end caps before and just taken them out but these don’t move at all and I didn’t want to risk breaking anything. They shouldn’t be that hard to get out if they are. There was specific mention of the binding posts when comparing the Rp-280F (think I got that right) vs the RP-8000F. That left me to believe that removing them wasn’t possible and I tried very hard to get them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check this support page out. The caps are indeed removable.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Check this support page out. The caps are indeed removable.

Thanks. That is good to know for the future. Ridiculously hard to get out but I suppose if you don’t need them removed you don’t want them falling out by accident. I am wishing I didn’t dismantle my banana plugs now.

R

raidersteve78

Audiophyte
Hi everyone I just set up my rx-v6a three days ago it was working fine last night but now I can't get a picture coming out of it to my projector. Does anyone have a fix for this?

adaniely

adaniely

Audiophyte
Hi everyone I just set up my rx-v6a three days ago it was working fine last night but now I can't get a picture coming out of it to my projector. Does anyone have a fix for this?
Have you updated the firmware to the latest version?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I know I had some difficulty with mine until I turned off the HDMI control (Name escapes me at moment) from ps4 that was attached. Most of my issues were audio related however. I occasionally have an issue when powering up where the picture is not there at startup and I just power off and back on and all is well again.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I did a test again with the small/large settings on the front with the subwoofer set to USE and the EXTRA BASS option does in fact control if the subwoofer is active when the speakers are set to LARGE. Not sure why it works this way but the front panel of the TSR-700 actually shows the subwoofer being on and off on the display.

First two pics are with fronts set to LARGE and with the EXTRA BASS ON. The second set is with it set to LARGE with the EXTRA BASS OFF.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I just flipped the power on my TSR-700 and it is asking to do an update to v1.26 from v1.23 firmware. Anyone find anything online about it? The firmware page at Yamaha still lists 1.23 as the latest.

Surprised they'd have the guts to release an update one day prior to Christmas. Seems a bit risky to me.

I'd love to know what it does because I accidentally updated to it. Hope it doesn't make anything worse.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I see a update also on my RX-V6A it's in process right now will let you guys know what up. Okay, just finished update but my AVR was already on 1.26 I think? Okay yeah it was on v1.23 now the new update is v1.26.

Last edited:
B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
I updated. No change for me but someone reported that the banding on HDR10 content is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I’ve had some problems with the surround button on the remote and flipping it into auto. It just cycled through straight and Neo modes until I reenabled auto back in setup then it seemed to cycle through the proper modes again.

Nothing notably different though.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't noticed anything went through every setting. Guessing a bug fix?

M

MysticalOS

Audiophyte
HDR banding with 4:2:2 content is WAY better. Not 100% fixed but far more viewable/better. Seems kind of odd that they found a way to reduce issue like 95% but not eliminate it. I wonder if their fix is mitigation or cleanup. Hoping mitigation because that's more picture accurate than breaking it but then fixing it with smooth gredation or something.

Either way, it's proof yamaha clearly acknowledged fault in problem and took some initiative toward it, which is nice to see.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
A2A reporting in. I just updated this morning. I haven’t tried HDR10 yet since I have to rewire HDMI ports, but Atmos decoding seems significantly better. You can now get a pretty good idea of where the sound is on/off the screen now. The center channel is still playing some height channels, but the center is not overpowering the heights like before.

However the atmos decoding still is not as good as my Sony STRDN1080 receiver which you can pin point where the sound is on/offscreen easily. The Yamaha is about 90% as good with atmos as compared to the Sony.

For those that want to do their own testing of atmos, Mad Max Road Fury and Bladerunner 2049 have been some of the best I’ve found so far. With Bladerunner 2049 being the best

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
For those that want to do their own testing of atmos, Mad Max Road Fury and Bladerunner 2049 have been some of the best I’ve found so far. With Bladerunner 2049 being the best
Curious is there any particular spots in 2049 you’ve used to test Atmos with? I’ve monkeyed with the sub using the start of 2049 but not rewatched it in a while.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Curious is there any particular spots in 2049 you’ve used to test Atmos with? I’ve monkeyed with the sub using the start of 2049 but not rewatched it in a while.

Chapter 15 where Joi says “ hello handsome“ is the fastest way to test. Can be tested within seconds. The line she says used to come mostly through the center channel with the height channels with the old firmware. Now it is mostly in the upper left, where it should be. But not quite on par with the Sony just yet.

But there a lot of other places. Anything that’s overhead like flying ships passing by and stuff. The opening minutes has a really good moment.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Chapter 15 where Joi says “ hello handsome“ is the fastest way to test. Can be tested within seconds. The line she says used to come mostly through the center channel with the height channels with the old firmware. Now it is mostly in the upper left, where it should be. But not quite on par with the Sony just yet.

But there a lot of other places. Anything that’s overhead like flying ships passing by and stuff. The opening minutes has a really good moment.
Thanks. I’ll give that a shot later. I had never had front height speakers before and was a bit disappointed in how mild the effect was so maybe it was firmware issue. I’ll be curious to see if the height channels now seems a little more effective.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Man I love that movie! Blade Runner 2049 rocks! "Joi" "Your a good Joe"

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The problems with the new Yamahas and atmos need their own thread. Yamaha will be dealing with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization activation in its own firmware update and I would guess that other issues with atmos will be addressed then as well. The HDMI 2.1 features update will be its own beast.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis