Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver Overview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Yamaha RX-V663 (or the RX-V863 light as I like to call it) packs a wallop. Just about all the features of the higher end model (which is a deal in its own right) at almost half the price. If you are on the market for a receiver, you want to take a close look at the features included on Yamaha's newest offerings - you can save some serious coin by not paying for features you really don't need. The V633 is a deal - for the right buyer.

Discuss "Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver Overview" here. Read the article.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Just thougt I would let you know this appears to be double posted!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think it's notable, while others might not find this information helpful, that the RX-V663 and RX-V863 weigh the same and both feature a 500 va power supply with A 400 watt power consumption. I believe they are using the same amplifier or something very similar to what was in the well received RX-V659 (more than likely the same). One of the major selling points for the RX-V659 was it's amplifier. The RX-V661 accepted a cutback on power and the RX-V659 amplifier went to the RX-V861. This is how it all appears on paper, it seems like a very likely scenario. If Yamaha knows it's good, why change it?;)

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
This looks like it is going to be a big seller for Yamaha. If I had not recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V2700, I would probably consider it myself. I'll just have to make due with a Blu-Ray player that will decode the new audio formats and send the sound via multichannel PCM in its HDMI output. That is, when I get around to buying a Blu-Ray player, which may be a while, given all of the problems people seem to be having with them (it is rather interesting, when reading reviews at places like Amazon, that people rate a player 4 or 5 stars, and then in the review they mention various glitches in the performance!).

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Seth. Thats an interesting observation. I have been wondering if this is the case. I am looking for a reciever that has some headroom on the amp side and really liked the 659 review.

I was wondering if this design feature carried over into the 663. I wonder if the good folks here at audioholics can take a look under the hood to confirm your suspicions.

The other thing I am wondering is if there is any other receiver in this class that offers similar power/headroom?

Fred

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth. Thats an interesting observation. I have been wondering if this is the case. I am looking for a reciever that has some headroom on the amp side and really liked the 659 review.

I was wondering if this design feature carried over into the 663. I wonder if the good folks here at audioholics can take a look under the hood to confirm your suspicions.

The other thing I am wondering is if there is any other receiver in this class that offers similar power/headroom?

Fred
I would say it's a little more than suspicion. Consider this, what would be more cost effective?: to design a new amplifier that is not proven to be very good, or to stick with a successful design. They apparently tried the first idea and pushed the amplifier of the RX-V659 to the higher model (RX-V861) in the following year while putting a less robust amplifier in the RX-V661. It seems as though Yamaha pulled an Onkyo move. The Onkyo TX-SR805 and TX-SR875 use the same fundamental amplifier (regardless of published specifications). The new RX-V663 and RX-V863 are a similar story.

How else can you explain them weighing the same, having the same current draw, same power supply? It all adds up to one simple yet cost effective for Yamaha answer. Instead of two different primary assembly lines, the can have one that accepts slight modification. Consider the reduced cost of parts from ordering more bulk of the same parts (think transformers). Personally, I give kudos to Yamaha and Onkyo for doing this because it allows the tech savvy get what they need for less, and the average consumer that doesn't know they are only paying for a few extra features will get what they want as well. All the while it saves these companies money.

However, Sony has taken the game to a different level. Every receiver starting from the STR-DG1100 is fundamentally the same. The have really cut costs to a minimum for the ES line and the top end DG models. The variance in price is almost completely unjustifiable IMO. Just look at their specifications, it's mind blowing. There's a good reason that Sony has gotten to be so huge.;)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I did find the scaler comments in the review very interesting. I do not use a cable box. My cable has been "on" since I moved here. So I get basic cable through a cable direct to my recently purchased panny plasma. SD network channels look like crap. I have read some threads on this and it didn't seem like there is much I can do. But the reviewer seemed to think the scaler could help the network channels be clearer. Any thoughts on this?

Dragunov03

Audiophyte
Perfect base for a combo....

Personally, this is the kind of reciever I've been waiting for. This with an automatic 2xHDMI switch (Cable always on, and the switch hooked up to a 360 and a bluray player) with an Emotiva LPA-1 is going to be my next setup...for those of us who don't need scaling or upconversion this would be an almost unbeatable package for roughly 1k. :D

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Just canceled my pre-order. I have decided to wait a while longer. My 7 year old HK receiver still sounds unbelievably good. There is just no compelling reason for me to upgrade at this point.

K

koebner

Enthusiast
I did find the scaler comments in the review very interesting. I do not use a cable box. My cable has been "on" since I moved here. So I get basic cable through a cable direct to my recently purchased panny plasma. SD network channels look like crap. I have read some threads on this and it didn't seem like there is much I can do. But the reviewer seemed to think the scaler could help the network channels be clearer. Any thoughts on this?
I subscribe to the "garbage in,garbage out" theory.A bad signal or source can only be improved incrementally.The scaler in your display may very well be better than the scaler in a $500 AVR.Try some different resolution settings to see if any help.Sometimes a 480i setting for the analog signal can clear things up a bit.Basic analog cable in most places is very poor and no amount of scaling is going to fix it.Your plasma is just putting a magnifying glass to the problem.
The dvr/hd cable boxes from most providers give you some output options,such as 480i and 480p that may be of some help as well,but there's no way of telling until connected to a particular display.

C

cc78653

Audiophyte
No pass through of audio commentaries and bonus featues on Blu-ray discs?

Personally, this is the kind of reciever I've been waiting for. This with an automatic 2xHDMI switch (Cable always on, and the switch hooked up to a 360 and a bluray player) with an Emotiva LPA-1 is going to be my next setup...for those of us who don't need scaling or upconversion this would be an almost unbeatable package for roughly 1k. :D
I notice in the RX-V663 manual (on page 18) that the audio commentaries and bonus features on Blu-ray discs are not supported through this unit. Is that true (figured I'd ask since you have a Blu-ray hooked up) and for everyone else -- is that common for the commentaries and bonus features for Blu-ray and HD DVD discus not to play through a receiver?

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Do you mean like the Profile 1.1 features like PIP? That should be determined by the player, not the receiver to my knowledge.

C

cc78653

Audiophyte
No pass through of audio commentaries and bonus featues on Blu-ray discs?

Do you mean like the Profile 1.1 features like PIP? That should be determined by the player, not the receiver to my knowledge.
Actually, the way I read it (p. 18 of the RX-V663 owner's manual) the commentaries and bonus features on the original Blu-Ray discs, like the director's commentary tracks will not play if you send the audio through the receiver via HDMI?? It would seem that you need to connect an via optical or analog to get the commentaries to play. It is so hard for me to believe that this is the case, so I figured that I'd see if others had heard this or experienced it on other units. Seems crazy...or maybe I am misreading??

S

skykeys

Audiophyte
7.2 to 5.1 ?

I hope I wouldn't lose much if I use a 7.2 receiver like the RX-V663, but only have 5.1 speaker set up.

I'd like to get the high audio quality of the new lossless formats available in Blu-Ray players, but my current system is 5.1 speaker set up - and that is not going to change. Would I be able to connect just the speaker outs for my traditional 5.1 and be able to enjoy the output without losing any "important" signals? Does anyone know if there is a way to tell the RX-V663 (or V863) that you only have 5.1?

Otherwise, does anyone know if there will be a 5.1 receiver that will handle the lossless formats like True HD, etc. ?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

S

skykeys

Audiophyte
I hope I wouldn't lose much if I use a 7.2 receiver like the RX-V663, but only have 5.1 speaker set up.
I'm answering my own question. :) I did see in the 663 manual that it can account for a 5.1 system.

It isn't clear to me if it actually converts (sums) the 7.1 sound field to 5.1, or leaves those channels out, but it does take the 5.1 into account, so either way it will probably be fine.

I'm just as concerned with SACD music tracks as movie sound tracks anyway. I love listening to SACDs through my new Polk in-walls and my older Yamaha RX-V620, which still sounds great. The only reason to upgrade my receiver eventually is to get the new lossless audio formats, after I eventually get a Blu-Ray player.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
There isn't much 6.1 and 7.1 material available, but the receiver will mix those channels into the surrounds if it is present. So no issues.:)

P

peshewah

Audiophyte
I too run 5.1 and I like it. At the time I have an old Denon AVR 1803 (80 watts per channel) with Klipsch speakers and I'm looking to upgrade with a budget of around $500. I would like something with a little more kick. I'm into the sound more than the picture but don't want to get to far behind on either one. Would the 663 be an improvement on the sound as will or should I go for the RX-v463 w/105 watts per channel?

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
With your budget of $500 you can get the rx-v663 at a retail store. I know that is the shelf price at BB. Huge jump in video capabilities and audio capabilities between the 443 and 663. Since it is within your budget I would most certainly go for the 663. Hope this helps.

Mike

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, I didn't notice this.

Concerning the audio from the commentary and from the movie being done at the same time... this only applies to people that have HDMI 1.3 blu-ray players set to bitstream the HD audio to the receiver (there is no audible benefit of doing this). Having the Blu-ray player decode the HD audio internally and convert it to PCM for output over HDMI is the better route. Because all these processes for audio decoding (for multiple audio streams such as a commentary and the feature film) you must have it do the decoding and conversion to uncompressed PCM. Again I say there is no audio loss through doing this, it is the prefered way of handling sound on Blu-ray players. The only thing that will be different is that the receiver will not show a Dolby TrueHD logo, it will instead be receiving multichannel lossless PCM.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis