Yamaha RX-V663 Receiver Overview

Porschefan

Porschefan

Audioholic Intern
663 and Roku connections (newb)

This is my first HT setup and I've got the BASICS all working now.

I'd like to add the capability of streaming Netflix movies via the Roku Netflix Player. (Eventually I'm going add a HD-capable PC to the system, but for now, the Roku would be a nice addition.)

My questions:

Is the quality available over a 1.5 mbs DSL connection, streamed via WiFi to the Roku worth it? I see the disclaimers on the Roku website about the box being "ready" for HD-video and 5.1 surround sound whenever Netflix gets around to it. If the PRESENT capability is less than, say standard HD-TV or standard DVD quality, then it's probably not worth it? I have experimented watching Netflix downstreams via a regular computer and they are not really impressive. I'm hoping they would be better with the Roku if only because they were going throug the AVR and the HD-TV, but if I think about it, I don't understand WHY they would be.

Assuming the quality IS acceptable, then what would be the best way to connect the Roku to the Yamaha? I've used up my two HDMI ports (NOW I really wish they had 3 or 4!) with my Dish receiver and the PS3. From what I've read here I can purchase an HDMI switch and get more HDMI ports easily enough, but I'm wondering how the AVR "shares" these ports AND whether you can set up an all-in-one remote (Harmony 880) so it can access one of the extended ports? Or is this just always a 2-step process--having to switch to the HDMI-extender port you want (via what? another remote?) and then use the "shared" HDMI port on the Yamaha? Strictly a newbie mechanical question.

The Roku also has component video out and optical audio out, so that would be a possibility also, no? I'm assuming that with the Netflix's present downstreaming capabilities, the quality via component/optical would be as good as anything through HDMI, but when Netflix moves up to 1080p and 5.1 downstreams, I guess it would HAVE to be HDMI?

U

UTVOLSFAN

Enthusiast
Yamaha RX-V663 True HD Question

I purchased the 663 and coupled it to an Emotiva amp. WOW!!
Anyway, I purchased the bluray DVD 88 Minutes with Al Pacino. In the audio set up it has the true HD option but I was not able to get the True HD to display on the receiver. I may not be doing something right as I am still learning about the unit. Can anyone offer any suggestions here?
Thanks

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What BD player do you have?
Anyway, I purchased the bluray DVD 88 Minutes with Al Pacino. In the audio set up it has the true HD option but I was not able to get the True HD to display on the receiver. I may not be doing something right as I am still learning about the unit. Can anyone offer any suggestions here?
Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks
If you BD player cannot output bit stream Dolby True HD then you reciever naturally will not display it. If it can, then the receiver should display it but only if you have set the BD player to output bitstream.

S

sanman_11

Audiophyte
Hi all first time on this thread and not very knwledgeable about this stuff.

Can anyone tell me how the Yamaha RXV663 and the Denon AVR-789 match up? The Dennon has one more HDMI input but what about power, features, upscaling, etc?

Can someone also fill me in on using a 7.1 receiver and 5.1 speakers? I see a lot of 'deals' with the Dennon or Yamaha with 5.1 speakers and wonder if I should stay away from them.

This is actually my first receiver that I am thinking about buying and want to build a system with my Panasonic Plasma.

Thanks

T

Treozen

Enthusiast
I am not 100% sure of this but it seems that the specifications of the 663 have changed since its introduction. I maybe wrong but the level of HDMI was upgraded to the 1.3 and with that change of note it was upgraded and is capable of more features.

I saw some place it can receive HD-FM radio now and I don't think mine has that capability.

I will say I am happy with mine, it seems to perform well with my Oppo 983 DVD player and my Panasonic Plasm 50PZ85U.

I would like to add Blue ray at some point but I think I'll wait a year or so on that as I believe there will be more B-R improvements and important for the budget significant price drops.
I just bought the 663 yesterday and was told the HDMI was indeed1.3. The unit can receive HD radio, XM and Sirius

T

Treozen

Enthusiast
I'm no expert, but I just bought the 663 (after extensive research) and the 663 will work with a 5.1 setup just as easy as 7.1 and do a grand job with either. It will actually support a 6.1 set up too and has a lot of interesting (if a little confusing) tools for changing the sound field, etc. You can technically have a 7.2 set up since the 663 will support 2 subwoofers.

As the the "deals" - Im currently dealing with a situation where my new receiver outclasses my speakers and I'm thinking of upgrading speakers so I can get the sound I paid for from the receiver. Sort of pointless to have a nice new receiver if the speakers aren't up to snuff. I'd be playing close attention to the quality of those speakers and If budget allows, I'd buy the receiver and speakers separately.

B

bdnoona

Audiophyte
V663 audio keeps changing settings

My V663 keeps flipping between Dolby Digital and Prologic while watching cable. The video also gets briefly pixellated when this happens. Can any one please help me remedy this??? Thanks in advance.

Brian

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
My V663 keeps flipping between Dolby Digital and Prologic while watching cable. The video also gets briefly pixellated when this happens. Can any one please help me remedy this??? Thanks in advance.

Brian
Do you have the receiver set on a Prologic setting? If you do, I believe that it'll run Dolby Digital in it's native setting (5.1) and then change all 2-channel sources to the Prologic setting you're using. I very well could be incorrect on this. I haven't checked the manual and just let the receiver run in "Straight" mode. (Well, that'll be open for comments...)

Easy way to check is to hit the "Straight" button on your remote, after hitting "Amp" first, and set the receiver to decode audio signals with out extra processing.

-pat

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Quick update - I just tried my receiver on a Prologic setting and flipped through the channels. It'll switch over to the Dolby Digital format when you are using the Prologic setting if DD is detected. I have no idea why your picture would be altered.

To keep it from switching back and forth, just hit the "Amp" then "Straight" button on the remote or hit the "Straight" button on the receiver. TV stations will switch between DD and 2.0 audio depending on the show or commercial. Not everything will be broadcast with the same audio stream.

-pat

B

bdnoona

Audiophyte
Do you have the receiver set on a Prologic setting? If you do, I believe that it'll run Dolby Digital in it's native setting (5.1) and then change all 2-channel sources to the Prologic setting you're using. I very well could be incorrect on this. I haven't checked the manual and just let the receiver run in "Straight" mode. (Well, that'll be open for comments...)

Easy way to check is to hit the "Straight" button on your remote, after hitting "Amp" first, and set the receiver to decode audio signals with out extra processing.

-pat
i always run it on straight or Surr. Decoder, so I think it must be something else.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Check page 78 in the manual. Prologic will switch to Dolby Digital when it is detected.

-pat

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I just bought one of these units for $365.....unauthorized factory sealed from ibuyplasma. I was looking at the Onkyo 9.8 prepro used for $1300...just couldn't see the $800 difference in my rig. I have a small room, 5.1, and listen to music way more than movies.
I just sold an Audio Refinement amp and prepro combo for $1200. I am not a wealthy person.
The plan was to turn that over into the big dog pre pro.....but my inner objectivist finally stood up and said enough is enough. I have a three channel 200 watt Parasound for the front three channels. I am pretty proud of myself. Normally, I can't stop, and buy way over my head. The $800 will go towards rent, and a care package for a young person away at college and starving..........

J

John91722

Audiophyte
Works well.

So far the RXV663 is really working out well for me. I like the performance, it seems to be able to handle all sorts of source audio and video. The power is more than sufficient for my living room which is about 12X14. I have several Yamaha speakers sets with the NS-555 as the mains, a yamaha center and the 4 rears are smaller book shelf Yamahas. As long as I don't blast it at uncomfortable loud levels every thing sounds really great for DVD's. Eventually I'll re-work the Living Room to utilize the 2 sub-woofer set up and get the rear speaker placement closer to the way it should be. I'd like to upgrade the rears at some point too.

As for music: at low to medium loud volume (-10db) using all the speakers works well but the NS-555 set on their own shine with this AV receiver as plain old stereo mains. It's easy to overwhelm the room volume wise with this set up and I don't want to annoy the neighbors, but some times the music just needs to be LOUD and i tend to switch to plain old stereo with these NS-555's. It's also fun and revealing to use the Straight and Direct settings for stereo music, but the enhanced settings smooths out some of the poorly recorded regular cds. I occasionally flip thru some of the other sound parameters (different size venues) while listening but rarely utilize them.

I have have some DVD audio discs, SACD, HDCD and regular CDs. The OPPO 983 handles them all and is a great source for music as well as the DVD movies, it pairs well with the RXV663.

The RXV663 has a lot of capabilities which I haven't even learned about yet but I am working into them slowly. When I re-arrange the room I will use the automatic room setting system for the first time. In the mean time it just sounds really good and I am pretty darn happy with it.

F

fresno1232001

Enthusiast
I'll just suggest that you see the review Gene Della Salla did recently of the Pioneer SC-07 receiver. It only has one 10 -dB option for dealing with the LFE bug, and to use it he suggested ON AVS FORUM in the SC-07 thread that users should have their players send the signal to the receiver using bitstream. He posted that early in Jan. 2009 I think.

So your advice is probably generally true, but I just point this out. You have LOTS of knowledge and I'm almost reluctant to pipe up here. His advice to have the player output bitstream may only apply to a receiver like the pio. SC-07. So maybe if you have an O7 and want it to handle the LFE bug right, you have your br player output bitstream. Then if you want to hear the audio commentary on a movie, switch it to PCM.

Oh, I didn't notice this.

Concerning the audio from the commentary and from the movie being done at the same time... this only applies to people that have HDMI 1.3 blu-ray players set to bitstream the HD audio to the receiver (there is no audible benefit of doing this). Having the Blu-ray player decode the HD audio internally and convert it to PCM for output over HDMI is the better route. Because all these processes for audio decoding (for multiple audio streams such as a commentary and the feature film) you must have it do the decoding and conversion to uncompressed PCM. Again I say there is no audio loss through doing this, it is the prefered way of handling sound on Blu-ray players. The only thing that will be different is that the receiver will not show a Dolby TrueHD logo, it will instead be receiving multichannel lossless PCM.

A

andrewb773

Audiophyte
Hey Vol Fan, are you in the Knoxville area? This is the exact setup I am planning on buying.... was wondering if indeed you were in the area, we could arrange a demo....

thanks!

Andrew

Thanks

J

josephga

Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting one of these. With a coupon code i can get it for $374.25 shipped at 6th ave
I doubt ill find a better deal

M

Motobis

Audiophyte
I'm into day 2 of my new RX-V663 and the last time I had surround sound was in the early 80's with a Sansui 5000 with a rear channel decoder so I can say good surround sound has come a long way since then.

I was puzzled with one instruction I found in the manual though. It said to not use both the pre-amp out and have speakers hooked up to the speaker output as well on the same outs. On the front stereo pair I have a pair of Infinity towers hooked up to the speaker output and have a Crown XL5-402 Power Amp coming off of the Pre-amp out for the front stereo pair powering a pair of JBL 4412A's and it works just fine. Anybody have any ideas why they might advise that?

Thanks! : )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis