Yamaha RX-A860 AVENTAGE 7.2 Atmos/DTS:X A/V Receiver Review

A

asahitoro

Enthusiast
I am sorry to call a spade a spade, from that Arcam to the 860 is major downgrade, setting aside features and power, adding any power amp down the road will only fix the power side of the equation.

I do understand you have to get a new AVR in order get the features you need.
Yeah, I totally understand that the 860 is a downgrade. In my view the 2060/3060 was too. I'd just be paying more for similar but higher powered mediocre, mass stuff. My 860 cost me a third of what the Arcam (used) did. This is going to be in the family room where those features will come in very handy over my audiophile requirements. Basically a beater but I do need it to perform. Sometimes it will be me there by myself on the coach jamming to music and I hope the 860 isn't a total letdown. I'm not hesitant on laying out more cash when someone offers the features and sound I'm looking for in one package someday.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I totally understand that the 860 is a downgrade. In my view the 2060/3060 was too. I'd just be paying more for similar but higher powered mediocre, mass stuff. My 860 cost me a third of what the Arcam (used) did. This is going to be in the family room where those features will come in very handy over my audiophile requirements. Basically a beater but I do need it to perform. Sometimes it will be me there by myself on the coach jamming to music and I hope the 860 isn't a total letdown. I'm not hesitant on laying out more cash when someone offers the features and sound I'm looking for in one package someday.
Imo, the 3060 would actually be an upgrade, though the better dac, more dynamic etc still most likely won't make it audibly better than that Arcam. Just because Arcam is not mass produced does not mean it is superior. In consumer electronics, more often the opposite is true.

I hope by now I got your expectation so low that you will be nicely surprised by the 860. Enjoy your new toy..

A

asahitoro

Enthusiast
Will the 1060 be that much better as a preamp than the 860 even with the Emotiva's 32db gain? I'm basically looking to use this as a preamp with good enough amps for modest HT use and the ability to add a better 2 channel amp for music (if I have to). Again, I like all the features WifI/BT/etc. the Yamahas offer.

Edit: I just saw your post #6 and it sounds like the preamp will be better. It looks like my price difference will be $230ish so I'm going to go 1060. I noticed the Denon 3300 has 4v? preamp section. Is that another choice to consider or will I be GTG with the 1060's 2v?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Will the 1060 be that much better as a preamp than the 860 even with the Emotiva's 32db gain? I'm basically looking to use this as a preamp with good enough amps for modest HT use and the ability to add a better 2 channel amp for music (if I have to). Again, I like all the features WifI/BT/etc. the Yamahas offer.

Edit: I just saw your post #6 and it sounds like the preamp will be better. It looks like my price difference will be $230ish so I'm going to go 1060. I noticed the Denon 3300 has 4v? preamp section. Is that another choice to consider or will I be GTG with the 1060's 2v?
Yes I do believe the 1060 has better preamp section. Where did you see the Denon AVR-X3300W has 4V preout, has Gene just published another review?

A

asahitoro

Enthusiast
Yes I do believe the 1060 has better preamp section. Where did you see the Denon AVR-X3300W has 4V preout, has Gene just published another review?
I thought he mentioned in this thread, post #25? I'm no electrician/engineer so sorry if I got his post mixed up with what we are talking about here. I went ahead and cancelled the 860 for a 1060 and I'm adding an Emotiva UPA-2 for my L/R channels. That combo is going to run me about $1200. Hopefully the 1060 will workout as an admirable preamp w/HT amps and the convenient/family friendly features I'm looking for while still giving me satisfying music performance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought he mentioned in this thread, post #25? I'm no electrician/engineer so sorry if I got his post mixed up with what we are talking about here. I went ahead and cancelled the 860 for a 1060 and I'm adding an Emotiva UPA-2 for my L/R channels. That combo is going to run me about $1200. Hopefully the 1060 will workout as an admirable preamp w/HT amps and the convenient/family friendly features I'm looking for while still giving me satisfying music performance.
Yes he did, sounded like he had done a review on the 3300 too but not published yet. Congrats to you good choice of power amp too. Sorry about my bad influence that might have helped you spend some extra $, but I think this still affordable combo will give you SQ that makes you smile.

A

asahitoro

Enthusiast
Yes he did, sounded like he had done a review on the 3300 too but not published yet. Congrats to you good choice of power amp too. Sorry about my bad influence that might have helped you spend some extra $, but I think this still affordable combo will give you SQ that makes you smile.
Thank you for the excellent advice and opening my eyes. The combo only ended up costing me about $230 more and I am getting a lot more. I struggled with the Denon 3300-4300/Yamaha 1060/Marantz 5011 part but I think the Yamaha gives me the features I want and adding the Emotiva to any of them is a wash 2 channel musicwise in my setup. Now I need to upgrade to some Reference Model 3s if I can find a smoking deal used. :)

Last edited:
D

Daniel Barnett

Audiophyte
" I recommend using YPAO only for setting speaker and distance levels and then using the manual PEQ to fine-tune your subwoofer channel."

Does this mean to run YPAO but delete any EQ it does to the main speakers? and only fine tune the sub?
When you run YPAO it EQs the other speakers correct? L R C and surrounds.
Do I leave what it does to those channels or?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Sold my a860 today and bought a1060 with large discount. Let's see if there will be difference...

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Got a message from Yamaha dealer saying that there are no a1060 in stock and they will give me a1070 for the same price))) Hopefully a1070 is not worse in terms of sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Got a message from Yamaha dealer saying that there are no a1060 in stock and they will give me a1070 for the same price))) Hopefully a1070 is not worse in terms of sound quality.
As always, that is possible but unlikely.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Sold my a860 today and bought a1060 with large discount. Let's see if there will be difference...
So what`s the verdict? Don`t keep us waiting if you have the avr! I have read other forum that comparing something like 850 vs 2050 which one had (2 different rooms), there wasn`t any dramatic difference between the two when compared side to side. Not as much as some reviews make you think anyway.

Then there is always that if you think X model is better, it will surely sound better (brains telling you it must be so much better cause it cost so much more). Some blind test would be in order.

But anyway nice avr (1070) and on paper it looks great! Weighting lot more too, which is always positive.

A860 - 23.2lbs
A1070 - 32.8lbs

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Just received a1070 today. Will try it today evening. I dont expect it to be much better tbh. The main reason i bought a1070 was weak pre outs on a860. I am going to use a1070 with mca 525. And a860 pre out low voltage was noticable with mca 525. Not that i was getting high distortion but definitely my mca 525 was not achieving its full potential with a860.

Will check it today and reply.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I am very curious also for I have the 860 and have the same concerns going forward.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Hello,
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if there was ever an update or if anyone knows if Yamaha improved power in the next series. The 870 and 880. Not sure if this was mentioned but AV nirvana did a review of the 870 and they used it to drive SVS Ultra series with the towers. I was surprised it did a good job. They tested two channel, multi channel and with an amp. Didn't run into any of the Yamaha protection issues. Although they did mention a bit of strain st very high levels. The SVS ultras have similar sensitivity to my revel f206. Maybe the next models fixed the issue or as is often mentioned the protection won't trip in real world use.?
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a870-av-receiver-review.1870/

Z

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello,
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if there was ever an update or if anyone knows if Yamaha improved power in the next series. The 870 and 880. Not sure if this was mentioned but AV nirvana did a review of the 870 and they used it to drive SVS Ultra series with the towers. I was surprised it did a good job. They tested two channel, multi channel and with an amp. Didn't run into any of the Yamaha protection issues. Although they did mention a bit of strain st very high levels. The SVS ultras have similar sensitivity to my revel f206. Maybe the next models fixed the issue or as is often mentioned the protection won't trip in real world use.?
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a870-av-receiver-review.1870/

Z
In the real world I don’t see a problem using the 870/880 with most speakers and rooms.

But in the lab, I bet it still won’t win any awards. :D

If you want something that will perform better in the lab, get the A1070/1080 and up.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to go to just an AVR but not sure I'd feel comfortable driving my Revels with the 870/880. However that review did put my mind at ease a bit since I'm only doing 2.0/2.1/3.1. Maybe it will put others at ease as well who already have that series or considering it. One thing of note though. My over 20 yr old Yamaha rxv 992 is almost 10 lbs heavier than the 870/880 even though they have better power specs on paper.. I think that does indicate something. Hmmmm. I do miss those AVRs of yesteryear..

Z

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd like to go to just an AVR but not sure I'd feel comfortable driving my Revels with the 870/880. However that review did put my mind at ease a bit since I'm only doing 2.0/2.1/3.1. Maybe it will put others at ease as well who already have that series or considering it. One thing of note though. My over 20 yr old Yamaha rxv 992 is almost 10 lbs heavier than the 870/880 even though they have better power specs on paper.. I think that does indicate something. Hmmmm. I do miss those AVRs of yesteryear..

Z
Most of us would recommend the A1080, A2080, and A3080 just to be safe. :D

The A1080 can Output 173W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.
The A2080 can Output 260W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.
The A3080 can Output 300W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They tested two channel, multi channel and with an amp. Didn't run into any of the Yamaha protection issues. Although they did mention a bit of strain st very high levels. The SVS ultras have similar sensitivity to my revel f206. Maybe the next models fixed the issue or as is often mentioned the protection won't trip in real world use.?

Z
That was just a subjective review with no measurements taken on the amp's preamp and/or power amp output so you can't assume Yamaha had "fixed" the pre out related issues Gene commented on in the AH review. I do agree with ADTG, that for real world use, it should be fine, but if you intend to use it with external power amp, then the higher series are highly recommended, or at least aim for a power amp that offers higher gain than the typical 28-29 dB.

Last edited:
A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
That was just a subjective review with no measurements taken on the amp's preamp and/or power amp output so you can't assume Yamaha had "fixed" the pre out related issues Gene commented on in the AH review. I do agree with ADTG, that for real world use, it should be fine, but it you intend to use it with external power amp, then the higher series are highly recommended, or at least aim for a power amp that offers higher gain than the typical 28-29 dB.
It might be not fine if you listen at high levels or use 7ch stereo. But then it will be an issue even for more expensive yamaha avrs, maybe just the issue starts manifesting itself sooner with 8xx series.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis