Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agree, though my focus and attention tends to wander now and then :)
That’s called “The room and speakers disappear and it sounds like I’m right there with the music and musicians”.

The music sounds so good that your mind drifts off into another world. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Only reason I use MANUAL is because I like to PEQ the Subs.
Can I assume that Yamaha extended the capability of their PEQ to include frequencies below 62.5Hz?
I saw an Audioholic review of the RX-V2600 (February 2006) that listed the PEQ not functioning below 62.5Hz as a "Con"
Pros
  • HDMI 1.1 audio support
  • Upconversion and scaling of SD analogue inputs to 720p/1080i via HDMI output
  • Zone 2/3 remote with source select and XM controls
  • Zone 2 with on-screen display (OSD)
Cons
  • No parametric EQ bands below 62.5Hz
  • Spring clips for Presence/Zone 2/3 speakers
  • Menu activity on DVDs causes HDMI dropouts to display
  • No on-the-fly speaker level trims
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-v2600

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I assume that Yamaha extended the capability of their PEQ to include frequencies below 62.5Hz?
Yeah, it goes to 15.6Hz now.

All Frequencies in Yamaha PEQ: 15.6 Hz, 19.7, 24.8, 31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5, 78.7, 99.2, 125 Hz, 157.5 Hz, 198.4 Hz, 250 Hz, 315.0 Hz, 396.9 Hz, 500.0 Hz, 630.0 Hz, 793.7 Hz, 1.0 kHz, 1.26 kHz, 1.59 kHz, 2.0 kHz, 2.52 kHz, 3.17 kHz, 4.0 kHz, 5.04 kHz, 6.35 kHz, 8.0 kHz, 10.1 kHz, 12.7 kHz, 16.0 kHz

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Let us know what they say.

But in the mean time, if it sounds great and better than just using YPAO FLAT, then I would keep on enjoying it. :D

For me, there is an absolutely clear night-and-day distinction/difference between FLAT and THROUGH or MANAUL-NO-EQ.

So if it sounds like THROUGH and not like FLAT, then you are definitely listening to THROUGH, even if the SCENES display may show something else.
I finally talked to someone at Yamaha today who knew what I wanted to do and could explain it clearly. Once you setup your speakers how ever you want in Setup, and select which PEQ you want to use (in my case, check marking THROUGH), you go to the front of the receiver, select the Scene you want to apply the settings too, and press and hold the Scene button until Setup Complete is displayed on the front of the receiver. Then you can go to the Scene Settings and check that Speaker Setup indicates THROUGH (or what ever you chose). Or, you can go to Scene Settings after you make your changes, press the appropriate Scene button and watch the Speaker Setup change. Sounds simple but you need to be careful and pay attention on where you are, which Scene you want to use, the correct HDMI input, etc. Any deviation and it doesn't work or you mess up the other Scenes. I "lost" the optical setting for my Comcast input (which is connected directly to the tv and not the receiver) because when I saved the Scene, I failed to remember to use the Input Dial on the front of the receiver and select Audio 1 so when I saved Scene 1 (Comcast) it defaulted to HDMI 1 of which nothing is connected to, thus no audio for Comcast. So, you can customize Scenes to pretty much what you want/need to do. Rename the Input names, have separate speaker settings, etc. I had done most of this almost a year ago when I purchased the receiver but I didn't make my notes clear enough, and the User Manual really doesn't go into enough detail when it comes to customizing Scenes. I have since updated/clarified my notes so I shouldn't have any confusion down the road should I decide to change/add something. DSP is STRAIGHT and PEQ is THROUGH. Sounds great!

So now I'll give it a week or so of listening and then try out DSur and DTS Neural:X. Those can also be programmed into a Scene as well, or I can just manually select them each time until I decide if i want to apply them to a Scene.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I finally talked to someone at Yamaha today who knew what I wanted to do and could explain it clearly. Once you setup your speakers how ever you want in Setup, and select which PEQ you want to use (in my case, check marking THROUGH), you go to the front of the receiver, select the Scene you want to apply the settings too, and press and hold the Scene button until Setup Complete is displayed on the front of the receiver. Then you can go to the Scene Settings and check that Speaker Setup indicates THROUGH (or what ever you chose). Or, you can go to Scene Settings after you make your changes, press the appropriate Scene button and watch the Speaker Setup change. Sounds simple but you need to be careful and pay attention on where you are, which Scene you want to use, the correct HDMI input, etc. Any deviation and it doesn't work or you mess up the other Scenes. I "lost" the optical setting for my Comcast input (which is connected directly to the tv and not the receiver) because when I saved the Scene, I failed to remember to use the Input Dial on the front of the receiver and select Audio 1 so when I saved Scene 1 (Comcast) it defaulted to HDMI 1 of which nothing is connected to, thus no audio for Comcast. So, you can customize Scenes to pretty much what you want/need to do. Rename the Input names, have separate speaker settings, etc. I had done most of this almost a year ago when I purchased the receiver but I didn't make my notes clear enough, and the User Manual really doesn't go into enough detail when it comes to customizing Scenes. I have since updated/clarified my notes so I shouldn't have any confusion down the road should I decide to change/add something. DSP is STRAIGHT and PEQ is THROUGH. Sounds great!

So now I'll give it a week or so of listening and then try out DSur and DTS Neural:X. Those can also be programmed into a Scene as well, or I can just manually select them each time until I decide if i want to apply them to a Scene.
Seems like a cool idea and a lot of effort from you.

Good details for anyone else who wants to use this feature.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Seems like a cool idea and a lot of effort from you.

Good details for anyone else who wants to use this feature.
It's no effort at all, once you understand how to do it :rolleyes: ;) My notes are now clear as mud and ready to go if I decide to change things around in a few months.

P

pbelo

Audiophyte
Have been reading manual and on subwoffer setiings cannot find where to select 1 or 2 subs.
I see options ‘ normal or reverse polarity ’ or ‘’2 subs at front L+F or rear L+F ’’ but not where to choose 1 or 2 subs, any idea ?

thanks for advice

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
Have been reading manual and on subwoffer setiings cannot find where to select 1 or 2 subs.
I see options ‘ normal or reverse polarity ’ or ‘’2 subs at front L+F or rear L+F ’’ but not where to choose 1 or 2 subs, any idea ?

thanks for advice
For the A-780, I believe you need to connect both subs to the sub output 1 and 2 before the system will know that there are two connected, because the manual indicates under Advanced Speaker Settings that SW -> Subwoofer 1-2. The front panel should then display 2, SW icons.

P

pbelo

Audiophyte
I have only 1 sub at front, so I need to select 1 not 2 at first , no? Or simply connecting my only sub to Sub output 1 by XLR is enough for unit to 'know' only 1 sub exists on system ?
So, if unit recognizes only 1 sub it should show on front panel , right?
And only selection I have to make is check normal not reverse , right?

tks for kind advice, greetings from Portugal

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have only 1 sub at front, so I need to select 1 not 2 at first , no? Or simply connecting my only sub to Sub output 1 by XLR is enough for unit to 'know' only 1 sub exists on system ?
So, if unit recognizes only 1 sub it should show on front panel , right?
And only selection I have to make is check normal not reverse , right?

tks for kind advice, greetings from Portugal
If you apply YPAO first, it will detect which sub is connected automatically.

If you do everything manual, then Connect your Krell Sub to the Yamaha Sub1 Input.

In setting, set Sub1 to Use, Normal. Set Sub2 to Not use.

P

pbelo

Audiophyte
Thanks for advice, will test it and feedback results.
attach a pic of HT room where 5200 will replace Krell HTS7.1 .

Greetings from Portugal

Attachments

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Hello to everyone. I hope here will be the place where I could find the solution to the problem I have with my new miracast rxv 585. I have been reading in the internet and searching for answers, but no one seems to have described anything like this.
I have recently purchased a Yamaha rxv 585 with a set of speakers Focal Sub and Cub3. It's my first receiver ever I have owned and I am still discovering all the features it has. Currently I am using it with 1sw, 2 front speakers, 1 central and 2 rear speakers for the surround sound.
Ultimately I have been experiencing a strange noise coming out from all of the speakers when adjusting sound level no metter if I do it from the knob of the receiver, the remote control or through the android application that controls my av receiver. I have the connection done with a 2x4mm copper cables.The receiver is set to 5.1 channels in the menu, but this seems to doesn't matter, because the problem ocuurs in presence assign, bi amp... For example, when I adjust the volume I hear like a bumb or pulse/bass sound (i don't know how to explain it) that corresponds to each level increment/decrement of the sound. It's something very weird and I am not sure If it existed at the beginning. What I know is that I noticed it several days ago. If I long press down in no matter what direction you can hear it, almost like the changes in db have a sound on their own and you can hear it ticking up or down. In order to hear it from the speakers I really have to stick my ears to them because it is barely noticeable. With the subwoofer is more pronounced. It's like the production of a tiny bass in this case, corresponding to each dB changed. It's like the volume has it's own sound or noise that is pushed through the speakers and the SW. However in order to hear it I have to be listening a non bassy music while changing volume and to pay attention. That's why I am not sure if it's normal or not. Going crazy already. The supposed problem is from all the sources ( HDMI, USB, net radio...) Also, it's present when I adjust the dB of the speakers and the SW in the configuration menu. (Yamaha set up menu). And it is clearly heard when for example I am on net radio or USB and I pause or stop the song and start to adjust the volume. This is how I noticed it. So I am starting to wondering if the sound control of AV receivers emits a sound or a noise on their own or it is abnormal phenomenon. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated by me. I already tried plugging the reciever in other socket, made factory reset and left unplugged through the night the receiver, but with no result. Thank you very much!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
noise coming out from all of the speakers when adjusting sound level
I've heard of this issue on a Parasound Analog Preamplifier, but not on an AVR.

So probably something faulty with the Volume Control circuit.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I think U are hearing the DSP processor going through its up/down gain steps.. Usually this is muted, sounds like there may be a quality issue with the grounding circuit. Everything functions properly but the DSP processor is emitting a short noise spike when it steps up/down but this should be muted and inaudible..

Just my $0.02... ;)

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
I've heard of this issue on a Parasound Analog Preamplifier, but not on an AVR.

So probably something faulty with the Volume Control circuit.
Thank you. I have no idea. I guess there should be something faulty, as you said.

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
Did you try unplugging sub?
Yes, I tried. No result. But with the speakers I insist that I have to stick my years to them in a quiet room in order to hear the noise they emit while changing the volume.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I tried. No result. But with the speakers I insist that I have to stick my years to them in a quiet room in order to hear the noise they emit while changing the volume.
Did you try setting up in another room?

B

Beriso

Enthusiast
I think U are hearing the DSP processor going through its up/down gain steps.. Usually this is muted, sounds like there may be a quality issue with the grounding circuit. Everything functions properly but the DSP processor is emitting a short noise spike when it steps up/down but this should be muted and inaudible..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Thank you! It might be this. So it's an internal and I cannot do anything but take it back and have it revised by the seller and the after sales service?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis