Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MusicCast in 3 rooms.

Same Source in 3 rooms.

3 different Sources in 3 different rooms:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like ALL the Yamaha AVRs (especially RX-A3080, A2080, A1080) are backordered. Yamaha rep does not know when they will be available. Some stores may still have them if they kept any inventories.

A have a client who wants the RX-A2080. But I had to order him a Denon X4500 because of this backorder issue. :(

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Looks like ALL the Yamaha AVRs (especially RX-A3080, A2080, A1080) are backordered. Yamaha rep does not know when they will be available. Some stores may still have them if they kept any inventories.

A have a client who wants the RX-A2080. But I had to order him a Denon X4500 because of this backorder issue. :(
Is that a supply or demand issue ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that a supply or demand issue ?
All of the above. :D

When I asked about when the NEW 2020 Models were going to start shipping, the Yamaha rep's words are "Current models are flying off the shelves, and we cannot keep up. But new models are expected to be shipping in Oct/Nov".

So as of now, Yamaha is NOT even accepting any orders from any dealers/distributors for "any current model AVR".

It cannot be a coincident that the previous models are backordered right before all the new models are about to be released.

So although the rep won't say it, I am guessing that they have completely stopped production of all the current models and focus 100% on production of the new models - RX-A8 (replace 3080), RX-A6 (replace 2080), RX-A4 (replace 1080), RX-A2 (replace 880).

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Through my Yamaha contacts I did some followup...
Over the last 5 months Yamaha AVRs have been in extremely short supply and selling out....
They can't explain why...
Other than with COVID, more and more people are staying home watching NetFlix & Amazon Prime updating their HT systems... Now they are preparing mass production and shipments of their 2020 AVRs. And they told me that certain models will have more than one HDMI 2.1 ports unlike the 2020 Denon/Marantz products which only have one. They told me they will forward more info and schedule availability shortly...

Just my $0.02... ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Through my Yamaha contacts I did some followup...
Over the last 5 months Yamaha AVRs have been in extremely short supply and selling out....
They can't explain why...
Other than with COVID, more and more people are staying home watching NetFlix & Amazon Prime updating their HT systems... Now they are preparing mass production and shipments of their 2020 AVRs. And they told me that certain models will have more than one HDMI 2.1 ports unlike the 2020 Denon/Marantz products which only have one. They told me they will forward more info and schedule availability shortly...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Somebody out there is listening! :) We need multiple HDMI 2.1 ports whenever we next upgrade. :)

My RXA2060 with HDMI 2.0b is still going strong though. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha MX-5000 for $1850!
(I think that is a good deal, right?) I would not expect much change in a power amp from year to year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, need Multiple CERTIFIED HDMI 2.1 to beat Denon's single HDMI 2.1. :D

Oh, also, need THD to be 0.0006% to beat the Denon's 0.0007% THD. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha MX-5000 for $1850!
I love my MX-A5000 amp.

But sure wish Yamaha would make the next MX-A amp to be 450W x 5Ch Driven Bridged using 4 ohms speakers. The Current MX-A5200 can output 450W x 2Ch Driven Bridged using 4 ohms speakers.

C'mon, Yamaha, you can do it! While you're at it, please put some big analog power meters on these babies. :D

Last edited:
H

Huey645

Audioholic
Howdy! New member, but been involved in this hobby for many, many years. Recently upgraded my 1900 to a 1080, didn't do my do diligence when researching, and realized I couldn't run rear back surrounds and atmos at the same time, although I never had atmos and didn't know what I was missing until I hooked up some speakers. Decided this was a long term purchase, might as well be happy about it, and Amazon was nice enough to let me return the 1080 for a 2080.

Been very happy with the purchase, although a little disappointed had to spend double the money just to get 2 more speakers, but nobody held a gun to my head, and I love what Yamaha has done with YPAO. I still double check speaker levels with a spl meter, but YPAO was mostly perfect in both distance and level, with just a few tweaks.

Which brings me to a question. I'm a huge fan of turning down the lights, sitting in the sweet spot and just chillaxing to music. Do you guys leave the distance settings alone? One of the initial YPAO runs, the front speakers measured almost a foot in distance different. And of course the speaker that was listed closest, that's where the singers voice was coming from. Made them the same difference, and right to the center the singing went. This last YPAO run was pretty close to each other, but still set them the same distance.

The other thing I wish YPAO would let you do before running it, and that is to set your speakers manually to the size you want. I do have SVS towers for the front, but run their bookshelves for the sides, but it wants to set most of them to large, where I just as soon let my sub do the heavy lifting. Overall, very happy with the 2080, and it sounds like I got it just in time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Streaming Music files (MP3, MP4, ALAC, WAVE, FLAC, WMA) from PC to MusicCast.

Streaming from: Windows 10 64bit PC Music Library.

Streaming to: Yamaha CX-A5100 MusicCast Server.

App used: iPad MusicCast and AV Controller Apps.

Setup:
1. IP address to default setting of Automatic IP.
2. Copy music files into the "Music Library".
3. Make sure the Streaming Options in PC Network is set to ALLOW for everything listed - for example, the PC itself and the Yamaha CX-A5100 are listed as Streaming Options.

Using MusicCast.
1. Use AV Controller App on iPad to Power Up the CX-A5100.
2. Select the "SERVER" button in AV Controller App for Input device for CX-A5100.
3. Then use the MusicCast App on iPad and select the "SERVER" button.
4. Then my PC (I named my PC ANTEC4) shows up on my iPad MusicCast app as "ANTEC4".
5. I select "ANTEC4". Then I select "MUSIC". Then “Folder”. Then I saw all the music files. Click on music files to play music.

It seems to be working perfectly for me as I am typing this. :D

Now I just switched from Theater Room (CX-A5100) to Family Room (RX-A3808).

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
HI Fellow Audio Fans!

I just had a Yamaha DSP-A1 die after 20 years of faithful service. I have been looking at various options, but do you feel the current crop of Yamaha Pre/Pro and matching amps are still worthy of my consideration? I am referring to the 5200 series of their products.

Thanks,
-Dan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HI Fellow Audio Fans!

I just had a Yamaha DSP-A1 die after 20 years of faithful service. I have been looking at various options, but do you feel the current crop of Yamaha Pre/Pro and matching amps are still worthy of my consideration? I am referring to the 5200 series of their products.

Thanks,
-Dan
I love my Yamaha CX pre-pro and MX amp. I think the new Yamaha will measure even better than they did 20 years ago.

I think for the money (especially street price), you can’t beat the quality of the CX pre-pro compared to other pre-pros.

Last edited:
T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
That is good to know. Would you feed the signal to it's matched amp or go with something else? I am also going to make changes to my speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is good to know. Would you feed the signal to it's matched amp or go with something else? I am also going to make changes to my speakers.
I feed the XLR output signals from my CX-A5100 pre-pro to the XLR Inputs of my MX-A5000 matching amp. It's great to me. My towers are bi-amped. So I also use an ATI amp to bi-amp the woofers.

The MX-A5200 amp is great. If you are not using all 11Ch, you can bridge the front Left and Right channels to give you 450W x 2Ch using 4-ohms speakers.

I think most people would buy a different amp than the Yamaha MX-A5200, like the amps made by ATI, which makes a lot of amps for many companies. ATI makes the Monolith amps, which includes the 11Ch, 7Ch, 5Ch, 3Ch, and 2Ch amps.

So it depends on your speakers and how to power them. For me I use the MX-A5000 amp to power my speakers, but use the ATI AT2005 amp to Bi-Amp all the woofers.

So power-for-power, the MX-A5200 won't output as much power as the ATI amps orATI-made amps.

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
Here is the same article that I posted on AVS Forum since it more acurately conveys what I am after :)
Some of this was geared more towards the Denons, still I hope it will paint a picture of what I presntly have,

A bit of background..

I have had a Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver for longer than that. I absolutely loved the Yamaha; compared to what I see today, in it's price range it was in my estimation a quality piece of equipment. As I am sure a lot of folks on this forum know, the DSP-A1 was pre-HDMI. For years, I refused to even consider looking at replacement audio just to satisfy the need for HDMI. Over time, I have gone from dedicated HTPC's to Dunes and now settled on Shields for the majority of my entertainment management. Even when I purchased the Pioneer panel, i just used advanced remote controls to work around the switching so that using TOS wasn't really an issue for me. I let the Pioneer manage the video sources and the Yamaha do what it did best, manage the audio. That worked fine until the Shield was brought into the picture; it had no TOS output, only HDMI, something the DSP-A1 lacked. So, I figured, the DSP-A1 still works well, no need to replace it yet. I bought an HDMI to TOS splitter to get my Digital sound and that worked fine for my internal collection (until I realized that Netflix and Amazon) sounded like total crap. Some kind of issue either with my splitter and their use of DD+ that the Shield and my DSP-A1 couldn't mitigate. Given the age of the DSP-A1, it was the likely candidate. For months I ignored the less than ideal situation, I started looking at replacement equipment, but in true fashion I procrastinated. Well, the moment I knew would eventually happen, did. The DSP-A1 uttered its last breath this past month. I turned it on and I got that quiet kapoww that we all know so well. At it's age, I presume the capacitors had been degrading. So, now I am on the hunt for a replacement device or devices in this case.

Here is my current room configuration:

Studio Upstairs (20' x 20' x 9') - half wall open air to stairs, 2 closed walls and the opposite wall with a door and 3 windows (with blinds), LVP flooring, no acoustical treatment on walls.
Listening position is ~12 foot on center.

Audio (5.1) DD/DTS

(1) Yamaha DSP-A1 (now retired)

(1) Velodyne HGS-15 subwoofer

(2) B&W 805 (Front L, R)

(1) B&W HTM2 Center (matched)

(1) Bose Acoustimass (dedicated to the rear surrounds)

(1) Pioneer Kuro Elite 60" Plasma panel (still alive and kicking)

(1) Nvidia Shield 2018

(1) Sony PS3 (retired)

After a lot of research, It looks to me like Denon is the current favorite in what I would term "mainstream". I have been looking at everything from the 3700-6700 series. I have also looked at the 3600 series from the older line, but I think I would rather go with the newer offerings. I have always like Yamaha but I have a Denon 3805 (downstairs) that has given me great service of the years. The whole room equalization technology is completely new to me, the receivers I had (both Yamaha/Denon) were very basic by today's standards.

I would really like to go with external amplification, but after reading Audioholics, ASR, and here for weeks, I am not all convinced it's going to be needed. Still, I figure if I should need additional amplification, the Denon's with pre-amp mode make this is a hard to lose situation. So with that said, I am pretty much set on the 4700 or 6700 AVR's unless I have missed other options. I am of course open to other suggestions I may not have considered.. I am still parsing through the manuals to see if I really "require" the 6700 to do what I want to over time.

I am planing to start out with 5.1 for now, but I already know I want to expand. I should be able to get ceiling speakers in the studio easily enough (certainly the ceiling is accessible from the attic).
You can see my current inventory above, I am trying to decide if I want to put floor standing speakers in place of the 805's. I definitely want to replace the Bose speakers :)
Once I get 5.1 in place I plan to expand to at least 9.2 (Gene Dellasala seems intent on every one using 2 subs LOL) and he also seems to know what he is talking about.

I have also started looking at what speakers other members on this forum have. While I love B&W, I am still open to looking at other options, I am not locked into that brand. I am now spending considerable time in the speaker forums.

This is going to be a pretty long process; for me the journey is more than half the fun. I love reading what others are saying and have learned so much from those interactions.

What do you think? Does the Denon 4700 or 6700 sound like it will fit the bill? I welcome any and all feedback; especially for things I may have not considered.

Here's to one fun if not expensive hobby, looking forward to the journey and feedback.

-Dan

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You just had to go post up this huh?
Like I ain't having a bad day already!
Rub it in so more why don't you! :mad::D
The RX-A1080 is great.

If you wanted to, I think you can find some used Yamaha pre-pro and amp. :D

I do love CX-A5100 and MX-5000, though, so I plan on keeping it like forever. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know me ADTG, some of my post get taken out of context a lot. My Cajun "flare" with words and all. ;) I may sell off my 7790, put my a1080 in the bedroom. If the price of Yamahas 2020 2nd to the top is doable in my budget may add one. 140 X 2 over 110 X 2. Really no Difference in that, just adds a lil more headroom. Plus Future proof, won't know if I should have waited on the a1080, till Yamaha release's everything about their new 2020 unit's.

Edit: To my Defense, with autocorrect on my iphone and the oh so Correctly word replacement :rolleyes: of AH forum. It's maybe 1/4 my Fault, with my posts getting taken out of context all the time. really, :D
I think I have learned my lesson on which models to buy. The RX-A1080 is great enough for most systems. But knowing myself, if I had gotten even the 2080, I would have been asking myself why I didn’t get the 3080 for just a little more. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis