Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Way wack in the wild west days of AH...

There are a handful of us that still post. Some more just lurk.

If you want to wind this place up real good just feed the monkey...
It appears "the Monkey" didnt bite yet :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
'Ive installed both PQEDIT-RS232 for non network capable Yamahas and PEQDIT for network capable Yamahas. It provides a very easy user interface to go into PEQ and edit one's settings. The tool requires a USB to null modem RS232 cable which I ordered years ago. I played with PQEDIT when I had my RX-V1800 and now with my RX-V1900. The installation of the program is dirt simple and its easy to use. Once you establish communications with the AVR, one can download the YPAO results onto your laptop and then view the YPAO correction results.

Below are the correcting curves that YPAO established for YPAO:FLAT setting for my PSB 400 Mains used in my mainfloor system. The red lines are the individual frequency bands and the black line is the summation of the individual frequency bands. It does not show the corrected response, just the correction applied to it.

Front Left 400.JPG
Front Right 400.JPG

I will use REW to measure the end result and correct YPAO results where needed.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
'Ive installed both PQEDIT-RS232 for non network capable Yamahas and PEQDIT for network capable Yamahas. It provides a very easy user interface to go into PEQ and edit one's settings. The tool requires a USB to null modem RS232 cable which I ordered years ago. I played with PQEDIT when I had my RX-V1800 and now with my RX-V1900. The installation of the program is dirt simple and its easy to use. Once you establish communications with the AVR, one can download the YPAO results onto your laptop and then view the YPAO correction results.

Below are the correcting curves that YPAO established for YPAO:FLAT setting for my PSB 400 Mains used in my mainfloor system. The red lines are the individual frequency bands and the black line is the summation of the individual frequency bands. It does not show the corrected response, just the correction applied to it.

View attachment 41327
View attachment 41328

I will use REW to measure the end result and correct YPAO results where needed.
I see you are eqing below 63hz... How low will this slow you to go and how specific can you be?

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hello guys, I'm a very happy owner of the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080, this receiver has brought my speakers to life. All of which was missing on the Denon AVRs, the Yamaha fulfilled it with ease.
I was missing the dynamics in the music on the Denon, but the Yamaha completely blew it out of the water with rich quality sound on all the sources.

My only concern now is, is there a way to boost the surround speakers with few clicks just like the denon with it's dynamic volume, Low instead of increasing the individual's channel level??

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello guys, I'm a very happy owner of the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080, this receiver has brought my speakers to life. All of which was missing on the Denon AVRs, the Yamaha fulfilled it with ease.
I was missing the dynamics in the music on the Denon, but the Yamaha completely blew it out of the water with rich quality sound on all the sources.

My only concern now is, is there a way to boost the surround speakers with few clicks just like the denon with it's dynamic volume, Low instead of increasing the individual's channel level??
You could try the YPAO Volume feature. I have not tried it.

The other thing is saving your settings to the Yamaha Scenes. I know some people save different settings to the different Scenes. So perhaps you could save the boosted Surrounds to 1 Scene. I have not tried this either, but it has been discussed on this thread.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Just to give you some background.. The RX-V1900 is used in my second system. I own 3 different models of PSB speaker pairs for the main left and right speakers. I have run mulitpoint (3 of them) YPAO flat for each pair and have stored the results into the 3 system memories. The 4th system memory is set up with just bass management and no room correction when I want to listen to music with speakers and sub.

I just bought another pair of speakers and the 4th system memory will be changed to store the results for YPAO:FLAT for the 4th speaker pair. This will force me to use memory 5 and or 6 which are not directly accessable on the remote like system memory 1-4 . I have to go into the AVR menu, choose system memory, and then scroll through until I reach memory 5 and or 6.

Everything I do is through the logitech harmony remotes and I have set up command sequences to mimick going into the AVR menu and navigating to memory 5 or 6. I also found through experimentation that I need to go back to the AVR menu to restore system memory 1-4 because selecting memory settings1-4 are not effective when the AVR was made to memory 5. The AVR just wont switch back out of memory 5 or 6 when choosing system memory 1-4 on the remote.

Has anyone encountered this behavior before? Is this normal? Why offer memory 5 and 6 when it cant be directly accessed via the remote?
This is getting in the weeds. I find it hard to believe that you will use 6 memory saves on a daily basis. Prioritize the ones you switch back and forth to most often on 1 through 4. Problem solved.

Or if you have access to a PC/tablet, you could load up your backup files through the web address. You could write a script to load file of choice/automate this to the equivalent of a 1 click solution...But, i haven't tinkered with this kinda thing in a while. The inner geek in me took a hiatus ;)

On a positive note, be glad that Yamaha, the BIG BOSS even lets you get this far. Count your blessings.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I didn't read all of this thread, but I'm having an "issue" with my 2080, which overall, I have really liked. I added HBO Max this past weekend, and had heard that Wonder Woman:1984 was in 4k, but it only shows up as HD in the menu. Had an issue with hulu when we first got it, wanted to play at a lower resolution on auto, wondered if that was an issue here. So started playing around with menu, in both my Roku and the Yamaha.

After playing around, I noticed it said neo 6 cinema, or something like that, and when turning off the ai feature, it went to pcm on the display. Normally, with ai turned on, that's all that displays on the front panel. I either pushed the right buttons, or it went back to it's normal operation on it's own, until the other day when it did it again. I did notice that the only thing I had been playing with before that, was I had hit the display button to bring up the info screens. Also, when switching sources, the first thing that comes up is decoder off, although I don't know if that's just between the switches until it figures out what it needs to use.

Now the weird part. Decided to watch a bit of Rise of Skywalker before going to bed on Disney+, and at least on that stream, the display now said Atmos and DD+ I believe, with ai icon lit up in the far left corner. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Was a there a firmware update recently? It has never shown me what format was playing before, would much rather have that than AI or surround sound, but I don't what to change. This also did this with my sony uhd player, although I didn't try a disk to see what would come up. Thanks for the answers if you have any.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
This is getting in the weeds. I find it hard to believe that you will use 6 memory saves on a daily basis. Prioritize the ones you switch back and forth to most often on 1 through 4. Problem solved.

Or if you have access to a PC/tablet, you could load up your backup files through the web address. You could write a script to load file of choice/automate this to the equivalent of a 1 click solution...But, i haven't tinkered with this kinda thing in a while. The inner geek in me took a hiatus ;)

On a positive note, be glad that Yamaha, the BIG BOSS even lets you get this far. Count your blessings.
Someone mentioned "getting in the Weeds"? ask and you shall receive! ;)
5043F6BD-A063-4A5E-93D3-FF1D83547D22.jpeg

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Decided to watch a bit of Rise of Skywalker before going to bed on Disney+, and at least on that stream, the display now said Atmos...

It has never shown me what format was playing before...
Did you push the INFO button on your Yamaha? This would tell you what format is playing.

As for Sound format, I would use STRAIGHT on the Yamaha.

For me, I use either Straight or Surround Decoder (I use DTS NeuralX). NeuralX and Dolby Surround are the main 2 Upmixers.

Other than that, if your Yamaha isn’t showing the correct Sound Format (ATMOS), then it’s the fault of the Streaming Service and Device (HBOMax, Roku, etc.).

A friend of mine tried to get Atmos with that sorry-a$$ WW1984 movie streaming from Shield TV with HBOMax. He had to turn off the Upmix/Downmix function in his Shield.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Did you push the INFO button on your Yamaha? This would tell you what format is playing.

As for Sound format, I would use STRAIGHT on the Yamaha.

For me, I use either Straight or Surround Decoder (I use DTS NeuralX). NeuralX and Dolby Surround are the main 2 Upmixers.

Other than that, if your Yamaha isn’t showing the correct Sound Format (ATMOS), then it’s the fault of the Streaming Service and Device (HBOMax, Roku, etc.).

A friend of mine tried to get Atmos with that sorry-a$$ WW1984 movie streaming from Shield TV with HBOMax. He had to turn off the Upmix/Downmix function in his Shield.
I have a feeling there has been a firmware update, as before no matter what I was streaming, the display on the yamaha always said Surround AI, or just surround if ai wasn't activated. It now displays the new codecs, with only the ai icon showing in the left corner. Watching shows on Disney plus last night, and the display was showing atmos/DD+. Not sure on the other sources showing neo:6 cinema when ai is active, and pcm when it is not. I think the surround is set to auto, guess I'll try and force DD and see what shows up.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Now it is switching, at least on the display, between DSurround and DD, although it isn't affecting the sound at all. Not sure what is going in with the display, either something is going wrong, or they have a firmware update that is causing some funny things. At least the sound is affected by it.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Yamaha suprises me with everything I throw at it, be it music, movie. Its sheer power is unmatchable. Pure direct is holy grail for 2 channel music.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

E

EBN

Audioholic
Yamaha suprises me with everything I throw at it, be it music, movie. Its sheer power is unmatchable. Pure direct is holy grail for 2 channel music.

Shaboom! That´s what i have been saying for @PENG ages, but he still insists with that old Denon which sounds horrible with music. ;) :D

CES show is next week. Any news will we finally see the official introduction of Aventage range? :rolleyes: @AcuDefTechGuy spill it out!

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Shaboom! That´s what i have been saying for @PENG ages, but he still insists with that old Denon which sounds horrible with music. ;) :D

CES show is next week. Any news will we finally see the official introduction of Aventage range? :rolleyes: @AcuDefTechGuy spill it out!
Starting from X.700H (2020 models) they did improve the sound I think, anything before that seems mediocre to me.

One owner of X4500H said this to me, that the X4500 was harsh to him but the X4700H was a music bliss.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Nope. I haven't heard anything about that. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis