Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver with HDMI switching $130+S&H

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth, I have to tell you that your first paragraph blew by me; but in the second paragraph you are suggesting what i thought you said a while back about just connecting the audio via Optical digital audio cable to the receiver.

I am checking on those other receivers you suggested earlier w/ the phono built in. The V863 seems to go for about $520 from the few I saw; haven't checked the Onkyo yet. It looks like the Yamaha RX V661 also has phono and HDMI together if I'm not mistaken. Still checking.
Thanks, Nick

By now I suspect I hit the 5 post minimum to PM you and carry this conversation offline so as not to bother other more advanced viewers like yourself.
Yes the RX-V661 does, I honestly forgot about it because it's a little older, but it's still a goldie.

The first paragraph means this.

The receiver has a function that allows you to designate a specific digital audio input (optical/coaxial) to a specific video input. The user can set both HDMI video inputs to accept ONE optical input for both HDMI inputs. So the connection scheme would be as follows, the HDMI from the Blu-ray player and HD box would go to the receiver and the HDMI output from the receiver would go to the television. Then the optical output from the television would go to the digital input on the receiver.

However with this receiver I believe it would be simpler for setup and operation to do it this way. Connect both HDMI sources to the television directly, then connect the optical output to the receiver. This connection scheme is also cheaper because you are less one HDMI cable.

The Yamaha RX-V661, while slightly more expensive, does offer a bit more. The RX-V661 does audio over HDMI and would allow you to connect the Blu-ray player and HD box to the receiver and the receiver to the TV via HDMI without needing to use the optical output on the TV. If you receive over the air broadcast (antenna) for local channels or use the widgets on your television it would be recommended to make an optical connection from the TV to the receiver to access that audio over your home theater system.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Edit: Gotta grab a bite to eat (I know it's late) so if you send me a PM or leave another response on this thread I should be able to get back with you in less than one hour)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would have thought someone would have jumped on this a long time ago.:confused:

ddvalk

ddvalk

Audiophyte
Hmmm - I may be interested. I'm interested in buying a "cheap" (~$200) replacement for my dead Sony receiver. I was falling in love with a HK AVR 630 after reading reviews and specs but then this one shows up.

How would you compare the two? Seems the HK is a bit higher quality, etc. Any one with real experience?

This receiver would split time as a 2-channel music player (Squeezebox, iTunes), surround sound from Oppo DVD player and TV (HD channels, fed via digital optical), and "noise" from Wii and Xbox.

In my previous setup I didn't want the receiver to have to be turned on to play games, watch "regular" TV, so those devices go directly to the TV. If you wanted "big" sound, turn on the receiver and the sound would be play through the system speakers (via the optical connection from the TV).

With all the switching capaiblities of newer receivers (and this one), it seems folks desire to feed all audio and video through the AV system which switches the source and feeds the TV. Any benefits to this I'm missing? Seems a waste of energy (electricity) to turn on the receiver if you're just watching "I Love Lucy" reruns.

Anyway - let me know how this receiver would fit into my mix. I may be interested. Also, what's the shipping rate and time to 95002?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
It's *almost* what I need, but I really need at least to-component up-conversion.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm - I may be interested. I'm interested in buying a "cheap" (~$200) replacement for my dead Sony receiver. I was falling in love with a HK AVR 630 after reading reviews and specs but then this one shows up.

How would you compare the two? Seems the HK is a bit higher quality, etc. Any one with real experience?

This receiver would split time as a 2-channel music player (Squeezebox, iTunes), surround sound from Oppo DVD player and TV (HD channels, fed via digital optical), and "noise" from Wii and Xbox.

In my previous setup I didn't want the receiver to have to be turned on to play games, watch "regular" TV, so those devices go directly to the TV. If you wanted "big" sound, turn on the receiver and the sound would be play through the system speakers (via the optical connection from the TV).

With all the switching capaiblities of newer receivers (and this one), it seems folks desire to feed all audio and video through the AV system which switches the source and feeds the TV. Any benefits to this I'm missing? Seems a waste of energy (electricity) to turn on the receiver if you're just watching "I Love Lucy" reruns.

Anyway - let me know how this receiver would fit into my mix. I may be interested. Also, what's the shipping rate and time to 95002?
I'd hope the HK is higher quality, it's quite a bit more expensive!:eek:

S+H to that zip code would be $35. I guess only people out west can buy audio right now.;)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Harman+Kardon+AVR+630&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14772426414256789445&ei=g_FYS6nHLorYM9rLmN4E&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBEQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis