Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver with HDMI switching $130+S&H

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Come on man, you are blowing it for me. I am working on a plan to get Seth to pay me for taking this AVR so I need you to be really quite.;)
Cmon, Seth, he'd make it off the batteries in the remote if he'd put the scotch bottle down for a bit.

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
Seth:

I tried to PM you but I am a new member as of today and have not made any posts yet.

I\However, if this unit has both HDMI (which it appears to in the photo) AND a PHONO input (which I can't read/see in the photo), I will likely take this off your hands.

Plz let me know re the PHONO input by PM if possible or here, whichever is easier for you.

Thnx, Nick

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Seth:

I tried to PM you but I am a new member as of today and have not made any posts yet.

I\However, if this unit has both HDMI (which it appears to in the photo) AND a PHONO input (which I can't read/see in the photo), I will likely take this off your hands.

Plz let me know re the PHONO input by PM if possible or here, whichever is easier for you.

Thnx, Nick
Unfortunately it doesn't have a phono input. You would require a phono preamp to use a record player with this receiver. Radioshack carries one for $20 as does Kmart and Sears apparently. The phono preamp is a small in line device with AC adaptor, so it can remain hidden out of sight. However if you are unable to use a phono preamp this receiver will not work with a standard record player. Models this low from generally every manufacturer lack a phono input for some reason.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The best options I've seen so far have been the Yamaha RX-V863 and Onkyo TX-SR705 in terms of receivers that feature HDMI and a phono input. Each of those will cost at least $300, in most cases more.

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick feedback re the PHONO; I have a small preamp that I'm using to connect a second turntable to my iMac to convert favorite vinyl tracks into digital iTunes format, so I guess i could move that to the living room.

I also notice that the HDMi is "pass through" only to the TV and the audio must come back to the receiver from the TV. The LG unit I am getting only has a digital optical audio cable connection; will that cable connect successfully to this receiver. I'm not sure of what to look for in your photo.

Thnx for your patience with me on this; as you can tell I'm a newbie to HT.
My Denon DRA stereo receiver has been serving me well since 1988!

Thnx, Nick

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the quick feedback re the PHONO; I have a small preamp that I'm using to connect a second turntable to my iMac to convert favorite vinyl tracks into digital iTunes format, so I guess i could move that to the living room.

I also notice that the HDMi is "pass through" only to the TV and the audio must come back to the receiver from the TV. The LG unit I am getting only has a digital optical audio cable connection; will that cable connect successfully to this receiver. I'm not sure of what to look for in your photo.

Thnx for your patience with me on this; as you can tell I'm a newbie to HT.
My Denon DRA stereo receiver has been serving me well since 1988!

Thnx, Nick
The Yamaha has 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital input. I would suggest connecting the source's digital audio output directly to the receiver instead of using the optical output from your television. It's possible that the audio may be downmixed to 2 channel stereo from the TV. This largely depends on the TV so you would have to try it out. If the TV won't do it, the source definitely will.

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
I guess I was wrongly envisioning the cable/DVR box and the BluRay DVD player each connecting to the receiver via HDMI, then OUT to the TV.
You are suggesting to connect the these items straight to the TV, then simply connect the optical audio from the TV to the receiver, correct?

(I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me when all you want to do is sell a receiver.)
Thnx, Nick

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I guess I was wrongly envisioning the cable/DVR box and the BluRay DVD player each connecting to the receiver via HDMI, then OUT to the TV.

(I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me when all you want to do is sell a receiver.)
Thnx, Nick
You can run the each HDMI into the receiver then one HDMI to the TV if you want, and you could try using the optical output on the TV. It's possible you may get full 5.1 from the TV, but I'm not sure. Otherwise you can still connect both components to the receiver via HDMI and make a digital audio connection to the coinciding HDMI input with an optical or coaxial digital cable. I believe the digital inputs are assignable.

I'm more than happy to help. If my receiver will fit your needs, great. If not, I'm still happy to help you find what you need even if I don't have it.

You are suggesting to connect the these items straight to the TV, then simply connect the optical audio from the TV to the receiver, correct?
Missed this part, sorry. The same would be true if you connected this way. After all, the same HDMI signal will be arriving at the TV so there is no reason to believe that the audio output would be any different from the optical jack. I'm not saying it definitely won't work, it very well might. I don't know though, and my personal experience with flat panels is that they sometimes don't do exactly what you are wanting. It's quite possible the newest TVs have improved.

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
Seth:
Thanks for all the good info. Let me get more details re the TV to see if this receiver will work, and I'll get back w/ you asap. Seems to me it should work, but I'm too uninformed to know for sure. Let me see what I can find out.
Thank you, Seth.
Nick

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
It will be an LG42LH50 and the LG 370 BluRay DVD to go with it; they are ordered but not received yet.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It will be an LG42LH50 and the LG 370 BluRay DVD to go with it; they are ordered but not received yet.
It appears that TV takes in Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2 channel PCM. It will not decode DTS formats. However, I just realized something. Because the receiver will be switching your HDMI sources the digital input will change as well so you will have to make sure that you set the same optical input for both HDMI inputs. I've checked the manual on this and it should do it as the inputs are openly selectable.

The alternative is to save yourself one HDMI cable and directly connect both HDMI sources to the television and connect the optical cable to the receiver. In my personal experience switching with the television is usually simpler than switching with the receiver. Another benefit is the dollars you will save from not purchasing a third HDMI cable.

Z

ZeroDfx

Audiophyte
Seth, I have to tell you that your first paragraph blew by me; but in the second paragraph you are suggesting what i thought you said a while back about just connecting the audio via Optical digital audio cable to the receiver.

I am checking on those other receivers you suggested earlier w/ the phono built in. The V863 seems to go for about $520 from the few I saw; haven't checked the Onkyo yet. It looks like the Yamaha RX V661 also has phono and HDMI together if I'm not mistaken. Still checking.
Thanks, Nick

By now I suspect I hit the 5 post minimum to PM you and carry this conversation offline so as not to bother other more advanced viewers like yourself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis