Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I agree. My 3060 is ready for Dolby Vision after a firmware update. And I'm pretty sure my Sony TV can handle it, now all I need is some Dolby Vision Content, LOL. I won't hold my breath.. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference on a 65 inch display anyway. 4k and HDR look good though.
Ya 75 or 82 would be nice someday. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya makes sense. I do wonder what will replace the 3080 since they are waiting an extra year. Will the chassis stay the same?
Unless they invent a new audio format (like with Atmos, DTSX, etc.), I think they’ll just add more gimmicks with little or no contents. :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Seems like Yamaha puts out a new receiver every year. It might do em some good to slow it down, and wait a year or two for the next one. It's not like they're huge differences from year to year anyways.
Yamaha isn't your Father's AVR.. seems there on that slope that RBH and Onkyo went through. High end Moe money. Be very careful guys, when money spent and manufacturers quality control starts to slide. Less you fall into the category of Bose and Pyle...lol..Than you get salesmanship.. LMAO

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bring on the floor speakers. What did we call it? Catmos? LOL :)
Exactly. More excuses to buy more speakers and AVR or AVP.

These HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX/4K/8K Video stuffs are a bunch of gimmicks; if I want to increase the colors and contrast to shorten the lamp-life, I can do that all on my own. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder whatever happened with the Dolby restriction of Neural X. Did Yamaha ever actually do that or is that maybe part of why they are waiting an extra year to release new models?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder whatever happened with the Dolby restriction of Neural X. Did Yamaha ever actually do that or is that maybe part of why they are waiting an extra year to release new models?
We’ll find out about the Dolby restriction in Gene’s review.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
What does the 5200 test at with 5 channels driven, (4 of which are bridge mode for R/L)?
Is it better to run in bridge mode or...
Can I bi-amp out of my 3080 using both xlr and rca? Will the 3080 output to both at same time? Will speaker be ok having one balanced and unbalanced side?
I'm wanting to beef up my front stage. But changing to another 150watt signal seems like a waste. Any suggestions are appreciated. Trying to discern if a 5 channel with 250w each is my solution.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm wanting to beef up my front stage.
If your front L/R speakers TRULY NEED more power, it’s much cheaper to just get a 2Ch or 3Ch amp (like Monolith amp).

As Gene and many people have mentioned, Yamaha enforces major Circuit Protection, so 5Ch All-Channels-Driven on any Yamaha will not produce as much power as other amps.

Gene has not posted his review/measurements of the MX-A5200 yet.

But in bridged mode, the MX-A5200 can output 450 Watts x 2Ch using 4-ohm front L/R speakers. The other Surround channels will not need much power.

But again, if all you need is more power for the Front L/R, just get a 2Ch amp or 2 mono-blocks.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
Thanks. What if I said I could pick up a 5200 for $1600? I think, you're gonna say go for it since I get the same power on 2ch with it as I would other amps that you recommended. Plus I can run 5ch on the 5200, and use my 3080 for the remaining i need to have full 11 in use.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
I have klipsch rf-7 iii for front r/l. Rc64 for center. Klipsch synergy f-20 for my rears. My atmos are some custom polk 2 ways actually from my first car stereo, haha. 4ohm on those bad boys. 6.5in so made angled box and set them on top as upward firing atmos. I also have 2 klipsch bookshelf speakers for rear height.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
I can't use all 11 channels without getting an amp at some point.
I think this deal on the mx5200 is best I'm gonna do. I doubt I'll ever get $ to go bigger than this with my fronts. I do agree overkill since I really just need the 2 channels in bridge mode. But when other amps are hovering right around the $1200 range, and getting a deal on this one for $1600, I don't think I can go wrong. Especially when the guru himself got 250w during his test.
I didn't mention yet, but my entire system is either open box or floor demo models. I can't really afford this stuff. Lol. Usually warranty replacement within first year when I can.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
The emotiva xpa-2 gen3 looks to be cheaper and more powerful from a 2 channel perspective. But I've heard bad things about the brand.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The emotiva xpa-2 gen3 looks to be cheaper and more powerful from a 2 channel perspective. But I've heard bad things about the brand.
Two Outlaw 2200 monoblocks would do a fine job.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
Note, they sell for $400 each, but discount to $720 for two.

They are Class AB amps and made in the same manufacturing facility that makes Parasound.

Honestly, with efficient Klipsch speakers, your AVR is probably plenty of power, but the 200WRMS (8ohm) and 300WRMS (4ohm) of the 2200 is certainly much more than you would ever use!

...and this Parasound offers a bit more power (that you'd never use with the Klipsch's) at $1000:
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
Two Outlaw 2200 monoblocks would do a fine job.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
Note, they sell for $400 each, but discount to $720 for two.

They are Class AB amps and made in the same manufacturing facility that makes Parasound.

Honestly, with efficient Klipsch speakers, your AVR is probably plenty of power, but the 200WRMS (8ohm) and 300WRMS (4ohm) of the 2200 is certainly much more than you would ever use!

...and this Parasound offers a bit more power (that you'd never use with the Klipsch's) at $1000:
https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2
Thanks. But I've pretty much got my heart set on at least 300w @8ohm. Any recommendations are appreciated.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have klipsch rf-7 iii for front r/l. Rc64 for center. Klipsch synergy f-20 for my rears. My atmos are some custom polk 2 ways actually from my first car stereo, haha. 4ohm on those bad boys. 6.5in so made angled box and set them on top as upward firing atmos. I also have 2 klipsch bookshelf speakers for rear height.
You should not need any external amps for those speakers unless you use 11 speakers, which you probably don’t need b/c I think for most rooms, 5.1.4 is good.

There are more powerful amps, but If I had 11 speakers (5.1.6) I would feel fine with the MX-A5000/5200, especially if the speakers are 88dB/2.83V/m or higher.

H

Hardcoretuner

Enthusiast
You should not need any external amps for those speakers unless you use 11 speakers, which you probably don’t need b/c I think for most rooms, 5.1.4 is good.

There are more powerful amps, but If I had 11 speakers (5.1.6) I would feel fine with the MX-A5000/5200, especially if the speakers are 88dB/2.83V/m or higher.
Ok. So your are saying take the deal on the 5200 and add it to my 3080 so I can do 11 channels and have my fronts at 250wpc basically. (Advertised at 200 bridged, tested at 250).
Thanks for all the advice. Really helps having folks to talk this thru with.

Last edited:
B

bygrave316

Audiophyte
Is there any real advantage to go from the MX-A5000 to the 5200 apart from the ability to bridge the 2 Channels?

Are the issues with the MX-A5200 the same in the 5000?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis