Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They all look horseshoed. Too many circuit boards and connections. Only way to know is to find out how many boards are actually HIDDEN under the top board.

The salient point is, that prepros have more components/parts less the power amps. So avrs that have good heat management schemes and well layout to minimize interference should be just as good. Look, TLSG had to send his flagship prepros within the warranty period, lots of us don't have to do that with our avrs.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

One piece, but a MILLION parts all crammed/ horseshoed into a little box.

Although it does't seem to be as nasty as the insides of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. :D

I can see spending up to $2K on a flagship AVR.

But $4K on an AVR? Or $5K on some other AVR from Emotiva and other brands?

Separates go for $4 to 5K, some lower from Outlaw.

Anyway, this Separates vs AVR is pretty hot topic that follows almost every thread. :D
"One piece, but a MILLION parts all crammed/ horseshoed into a little box."

Good point. Heat is probably the number one enemy of an AVR.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That is a lot of stuff crammed into one box. That's the only thing that makes me nervous about receivers. So far so good with the 3060 though......fingers crossed.
I haven’t seen any bad reviews on the a3060, now A4L will get some in and sell them as remanufactured. So are marantz pioneer and Denon units on that site, mostly Onkyos has the most on that site.

Mike

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yep, he gotta killer setup! Plus his nice neighbor gave him a cow as a pet. ADTG , opened his front door one day and there was this Cow in his front yard! got some nice people in Oklahoma. If someone down here in South finds a Cow in their yard it means someone wants to trade for something. Lol. We gotta go swing by “PENG” place pick him up first, he bring some of his famous home made brew. I’m bring the Cracklin’s and Boudin and some moonshine.

Mike
I know he has a killer setup. A pet cow!! that is hilarious! It's good that it's a pet. No ribeye's or fillet's allowed! Ahhh, Cracklin's and Boudin. a staple of the south. I do like Boudin. You must be near Louisiana. Yes, we can swing north of the border to pick up Peng and some home brew. Now...if ADTG will agree to put up with a couple of audio geeks for a day or two, LOL.

I'm in Clarksville AR working this week. Beautiful country but not much to do here. Can't wait to fly home tonight and put away the suite case for about a month. It's going to be a music and grilling out kind of weekend! There might be a few adult beverages around,,,hehe
Earl

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I know he has a killer setup. A pet cow!! that is hilarious! It's good that it's a pet. No ribeye's or fillet's allowed! Ahhh, Cracklin's and Boudin. a staple of the south. I do like Boudin. You must be near Louisiana. Yes, we can swing north of the border to pick up Peng and some home brew. Now...if ADTG will agree to put up with a couple of audio geeks for a day or two, LOL.

I'm in Clarksville AR working this week. Beautiful country but not much to do here. Can't wait to fly home tonight and put away the suite case for about a month. It's going to be a music and grilling out kind of weekend! There might be a few adult beverages around,,,hehe
Earl
Lolo, yeah ADTG opened his front door and lo and behold a cow was in this front yard! He even posted up a photo of his new pet! He said when he opened his door the Cow was just standing there with some grass in it mouth! lol
Earl, I’m way down South about 15 miles from the gulf. lil town New Iberia, Louisiana, Not much to do here also.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The salient point is, that prepros have more components/parts less the power amps. So avrs that have good heat management schemes and well layout to minimize interference should be just as good. Look, TLSG had to send his flagship prepros within the warranty period, lots of us don't have to do that with our avrs.
You're using my favorite word "Salient" there. LOL. :D

Oh I know about the Denon/Marantz Pre-pros like my AVP-A1 and Grassy's AVP-A1 that lasted 8 YR.

Yes, these Pre-pros seem to have more internal parts alright.

These Denon/Marantz engineers don't think like the engineers from Bryston, Theta, DataSAT, ATI, who believe that LESS parts and SIMPLER designs are better than more parts and more complex designs.

North American Pre-pros that have a lot less parts (like my custom HTPC)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a lot of stuff crammed into one box. That's the only thing that makes me nervous about receivers. So far so good with the 3060 though......fingers crossed.
Without doing a parts count, especially all the circuit boards, it's difficult to see if Yamaha AVR have less parts than Denon.

But after my Denon AVP-A1 died, I got pissed off and starting taking everything apart. And all the boards and parts I removed filled up a big box. :eek:

And then you see these Pre-Pros from Bryston and ATI/Theta/DataSAT that literally look EMPTY on the inside!

And you ask, if these North American engineers can build such SIMPLE designs that look like an empty PC, why the heck can't these Japanese engineers do the same? :eek:

Did they teach them in school that AVR designs need to look like the mainframe at NASA? LOL. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Without doing a parts count, especially all the circuit boards, it's difficult to see if Yamaha AVR have less parts than Denon.

But after my Denon AVP-A1 died, I got pissed off and starting taking everything apart. And all the boards and parts I removed filled up a big box. :eek:

And then you see these Pre-Pros from Bryston and ATI/Theta/DataSAT that literally look EMPTY on the inside!

And you ask, if these North American engineers can build such SIMPLE designs that look like an empty PC, why the heck can't these Japanese engineers do the same? :eek:

Did they teach them in school that AVR designs need to look like the mainframe at NASA? LOL. :D
Yeah, but your AVP-A1 lasted about 8 years years if I remember correctly, so that not too bad really, right?

You say those high end Pre-pros look relative empty inside comparatively speaking. I wonder if more boards and parts inside mean more features?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but your AVP-A1 lasted about 8 years years if I remember correctly, so that not too bad really, right?

You say those high end Pre-pros look relative empty inside comparatively speaking. I wonder if more boards and parts inside mean more features?
I suppose it's up for debate whether 8 YR is a long enough lifespan for a Pre-pro and AVR. :D

Yes, I think a lot more parts can mean more features. But if these features are useless and don't really improve the sound, then it's just a waste. For example, a million legacy connectors are a total waste.

These ATI and Bryston Pre-pros have 16CH of XLR, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, Dirac Live Room Correction, 7 HDMI 2.0 Inputs, 2 HDMI Outputs, and a few legacy connectors.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You're using my favorite word "Salient" there. LOL. :D

Oh I know about the Denon/Marantz Pre-pros like my AVP-A1 and Grassy's AVP-A1 that lasted 8 YR.

Yes, these Pre-pros seem to have more internal parts alright.

These Denon/Marantz engineers don't think like the engineers from Bryston, Theta, DataSAT, ATI, who believe that LESS parts and SIMPLER designs are better than more parts and more complex designs.

North American Pre-pros that have a lot less parts (like my custom HTPC)

That is true, but I bet those still don't have near as much features, that suit me fine as long as the main ones I need are there, and looks like they are. Problem, is, I definitely won't be allowed to spend that much on a prepro.:D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I suppose it's up for debate whether 8 YR is a long enough lifespan for a Pre-pro and AVR. :D

Yes, I think a lot more parts can mean more features. But if these features are useless and don't really improve the sound, then it's just a waste. For example, a million legacy connectors are a total waste.

These ATI and Bryston Pre-pros have 16CH of XLR, Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, Dirac Live Room Correction, 7 HDMI 2.0 Inputs, 2 HDMI Outputs, and a few legacy connectors.
True - They can completely scratch S-Video, Component Video, and leave maybe one or two analog and co-ax connections and that's it.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Lolo, yeah ADTG opened his front door and lo and behold a cow was in this front yard! He even posted up a photo of his new pet! He said when he opened his door the Cow was just standing there with some grass in it mouth! lol
Earl, I’m way down South about 15 miles from the gulf. lil town New Iberia, Louisiana, Not much to do here also.

Mike
That is incredibly funny. Wish I had seen that pic. New Iberia huh? That's about 25-30 miles south of Lafayette. Been there for work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is true, but I bet those still don't have near as much features, that suit me fine as long as the main ones I need are there, and looks like they are. Problem, is, I definitely won't be allowed to spend that much on a prepro.:D
The SALIENT point here is that we have to pay a lot more to get RID of all the useless features. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Jam packed prepro vs jam packed AVR, pick your poison!!

ADTG, the pic you posted for the Bryston appeared to be the 7 channel SP3, not the 16 channel SP4, can you double check please..

1535659867362.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
They have less features, that may be a good thing. Also, I question the accuracy of his pictures for the allegedly Bryston SP4 that has 16 channels, it looks to me it is the SP3 that has only 7 channels, hence less components/parts.:D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That is incredibly funny. Wish I had seen that pic. New Iberia huh? That's about 25-30 miles south of Lafayette. Been there for work.
Yep, the nickname for New Iberia is “Da Berry”,
There is No audio/video stores here. BestBuy in Lafayette is the closest. Now that I’m retired with all the time in the world I just chill out watch movies go to this Lounge have a few brewskis chill out with some of my ole oilfield buddy’s, pick on them young lady’s, tell stories about the ole oilfield days.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They have less features, that may be a good thing. Also, I question the accuracy of his pictures for the allegedly Bryston SP4 that has 16 channels, it looks to me it is the SP3 that has only 7 channels, hence less components/parts.:D
Or the SP4 could have even less parts because to make room for one big 16-XLR board, they had to get rid of most of the legacy boards. :D

But you’re right, Bryston doesn’t have any pics of the SP4 internals.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis