Yamaha AVR making noise

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have a Yamaha RX-670 in a 5.2.2 set-up. It is putting out a low volume, mid to low static type sound. Like intermittent staticy clicking. All 7 speakers, plus both 10" subs. With the subs, you can feel the clicking touching the cones. Not loud enough or low enough to actually hear it from them, but you can hear it in all 7 speakers. Putting my ear close to the speakers (Klipsch Heresy III's), you can only hear it from the mids and woofers. This only happens in DSP options. 2 channel or straight, it does not happen. Source doesn't matter. Just any and all dolby digital DSP options. I tried unplugging it, in case it just needed a re-set.
So bad news? Do I need a new receiver? It's only 2 years old!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Well, good news. Whatever it was, it has stopped now. I guess I will re-visit this post if it re-occurs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to run resets, maybe soft to start, and full if that doesn't help....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Run resets? Not sure I understand. The obnoxious sound is back. I was using an optical cable from the TV, but changed that to an HDMI ARC cable and it did not go away. It is coming from the TV. You can hear the "static" when you move the curser on the Roku home screen. Every move on the screen will prompt the sound. My TV is a 55" Insignia (Best Buy) Roku TV. Probably one of the cheaper TV's out there. Could that be the problem? Crappy TV? I like the TV actually, but I admit it is a low end unit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah in that case sounds like the source is the issue....shouldn't be any real difference between optical vs HDMI ARC either. Do other sources have issues? I don't source audio from TVs at all myself, altho when I have, no issue.

ps a soft reset of both tv and avr is easy...and just might clear up issues.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Run resets? Not sure I understand. The obnoxious sound is back. I was using an optical cable from the TV, but changed that to an HDMI ARC cable and it did not go away. It is coming from the TV. You can hear the "static" when you move the curser on the Roku home screen. Every move on the screen will prompt the sound. My TV is a 55" Insignia (Best Buy) Roku TV. Probably one of the cheaper TV's out there. Could that be the problem? Crappy TV? I like the TV actually, but I admit it is a low end unit.
Believe it or not you likely have a ground loop. The key is that it happens when you move the cursor. Processors act this way with a ground loop and not necessarily hum.

The ground loop is probably between the TV and the receiver, but could easily involve you cable TV and or Internet grounds. I have encountered just this type of problem before. I was baffled by it. It tuned out to be a ground loop.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Call into Yamaha service dept. or shoot a email or Browse Yamahas wedsite for FAQ, have done any Recent updates? or have you done any updates at all? Try a hard reset first. Than the Latter.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
maybe TV, since it is a Source, try a hard reset on the tv. Or try plugging your tv into a Receptacle thats not where all your gear is pluged into run a Extension cord if you have to try to isolate everything. Than unplug one at a time. Do you have a cable box in your loop? or Satellite box? Those are Notorious for ground loop issues.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Ok, I'll try all that tonight. No cable box. Just wifi.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thx for the replies, btw! I was not getting the subscription emails.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I have a TCL ROKU tv. If you’re only hearing a faint click when moving the ROKU cursor it’s supposed to do that. I’m not sure if to call it but it’s like a notification click.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Oh no. Not that click. This is an intermittent staticky sound. I would not complain about a normal click. It is not just the Roku home screen.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have no other inputs, no CD, turntable, etc. Just a DVD player that actually goes into my TV. I could try unplugging that, but not hopeful it will do anything.
Yeah in that case sounds like the source is the issue....shouldn't be any real difference between optical vs HDMI ARC either. Do other sources have issues? I don't source audio from TVs at all myself, altho when I have, no issue.

ps a soft reset of both tv and avr is easy...and just might clear up issues.
[/QUOTE

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am busy with my job for another hour or two, then I'll try resets, etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no other inputs, no CD, turntable, etc. Just a DVD player that actually goes into my TV. I could try unplugging that, but not hopeful it will do anything.
I'd try without dvd player, for the ground hum loop possibility it represents. Often its simply eliminating possibilities one at a time...

ps curious but why plug your dvd player into the tv rather than the avr?

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The static is not like a 60 cycle hum.
I may very well be off base here, but I am not a fan of HDMI inputs or outputs to my receiver. Now I do need a modern receiver for 7 speaker set-ups with front presence, need wifi, of course. So I do require a modern receiver for sure. And I use optical TV outs. I do not like the receiver turning on by itself with an ARC HDMI cable hooked up. This system we are discussing is my bedroom system, but even more so with my main system as that TV audio goes to the receiver via optical, of course, but the line outs from the TV also go to my office desk (TV is in line of sight) with another audio system. (2 channel with Axiom speakers and a Yamaha 8" sub. It also sounds terrific for music from my computer). I obviously only turn on the office amp when needed and the HT AVR is off. I can select TV sound or computer sound here. So there ya go. ha. Hope that makes sense why I don't use HDMI, (except DVD player to TV). I do though plug in an HDMI for times that I need to display on-screen for receiver settings.
Feel free to comment on the above, but...back to the situation: I did a reset of the RX-A670 and then updated. I checked the TV for updates and/or reset. It does auto updates and one was done yesterday and it checked today for an update. This was done on it's own. It probably learned that from HAL. Anyways.... the annoying static sound is now gone and hopefully gone forever! Thx you guys, especially lovinhd. I always get good info here!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you're actually using only dvd, rather than bluray, then the audio back from the tv would generally be the same via optical or current ARC capabilities, personally even when I used audio from a tv's apps, I didn't use ARC as I don't like the HDMI control issues you mention either. If you use bluray you would lose the lossless codecs and Atmos meta data using optical back to your avr, tho. There would be no penalty for using a dvd to your avr via hdmi particularly. I have multiple sources so prefer the avr as a switching center. YMMV. Glad you got rid of the buzz!

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Reminds me of Steely Dan's "I'm Through With Buzz". I actually just have a regulation DVD, not Blue Ray.
So now tomorrow, I will get the YPAO mic out and re-calibrate!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of Steely Dan's "I'm Through With Buzz". I actually just have a regulation DVD, not Blue Ray.
So now tomorrow, I will get the YPAO mic out and re-calibrate!
Did you try soft resets first or did they not help?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The static is not like a 60 cycle hum.
I may very well be off base here, but I am not a fan of HDMI inputs or outputs to my receiver. Now I do need a modern receiver for 7 speaker set-ups with front presence, need wifi, of course. So I do require a modern receiver for sure. And I use optical TV outs. I do not like the receiver turning on by itself with an ARC HDMI cable hooked up. This system we are discussing is my bedroom system, but even more so with my main system as that TV audio goes to the receiver via optical, of course, but the line outs from the TV also go to my office desk (TV is in line of sight) with another audio system. (2 channel with Axiom speakers and a Yamaha 8" sub. It also sounds terrific for music from my computer). I obviously only turn on the office amp when needed and the HT AVR is off. I can select TV sound or computer sound here. So there ya go. ha. Hope that makes sense why I don't use HDMI, (except DVD player to TV). I do though plug in an HDMI for times that I need to display on-screen for receiver settings.
Feel free to comment on the above, but...back to the situation: I did a reset of the RX-A670 and then updated. I checked the TV for updates and/or reset. It does auto updates and one was done yesterday and it checked today for an update. This was done on it's own. It probably learned that from HAL. Anyways.... the annoying static sound is now gone and hopefully gone forever! Thx you guys, especially lovinhd. I always get good info here!
I'm pretty sure that this is a ground loop, even though there is no hum. Ground loops in digital equipment often corrupt data, and you get the noise you complain of. The give away is the noise you get moving the arrow on the screen.

So you need to go through the usual procedure for isolating ground loops. That means removing grounds one by one. Most likely the ground loop is occurring between your TV and receiver.

The ground loops can be internal. The last time I ran into this exact problem, it was a ground loop in a power supply.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis