Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
With all that empty space on the left side, VU meters! ;)
I guess VU meters looks cool to many but what use will it have on a receiver? If I need to look at a signal I use other tools.

Now, a large display with useful information readable at a distance is useful. A glory hole that Marantz has, not so much.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
I guess VU meters looks cool to many but what use will it have on a receiver? If I need to look at a signal I use other tools.

Now, a large display with useful information readable at a distance is useful. A glory hole that Marantz has, not so much.
True, VU meters more of an eye candy thing. I'm sure you have seem the display on Rotel 1580 MKII, speaking for myself like it very much. But than OSD seems to be what Yamaha and others put more priority into. I really don't like the huge volume knob and the little knob, "select" really isn't intuitive to use at all. Speaking for myself, it's kinda useless, I've played around with it at first haven't touched since.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Like I said, I live on the edge. I don’t live in fear of wifi. I spent a pretty penny on an Asus router with wifi 6(AX) a while ago and most devices in my network are wifi 5(AC) or 6(AX). I can’t remember the last time I updated a device using an ethernet connection and there is currently not a single device on my network with a cable connection save for the router to the gateway.

I’m not here to tell everybody to cut their cords. Results will vary widely for every home and system of course. If there is an issue with an update I try to run, it usually just errors out and nothing is changed. The little one eyed devil has never had a serious issue with wireless firmware updates. If something ever does go wrong, I have an excuse to go out and buy one of those JBL receivers.;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nothing new about AVP from Yamaha or ATI. :D
Ya, it seems like ATI dropped out after the HTP-1 for Monolith. I think Marantz nailed it on all the features, but Cost is still too much for most people to really consider very easily, same goes for Anthem. Then I still see a lot of comments showing dissatisfaction with the JBL SDP and other boutique brands that are selling under $10K.
(Of course, over $10K you are in the Storm and Trinnnov category and a luxury purchase that most mortals just can't afford.)

Really surprised Y pulled out and hasn't replaced the previous AVP.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya, it seems like ATI dropped out after the HTP-1 for Monolith. I think Marantz nailed it on all the features, but Cost is still too much for most people to really consider very easily, same goes for Anthem. Then I still see a lot of comments showing dissatisfaction with the JBL SDP and other boutique brands that are selling under $10K.
(Of course, over $10K you are in the Storm and Trinnnov category and a luxury purchase that most mortals just can't afford.)

Really surprised Y pulled out and hasn't replaced the previous AVP.
Yamaha historically is slow as heck. I remember when Denon came out with the AVP-A1, Yamaha didn't even have an AVP. It took Yamaha a few years after Denon before Yamaha came out with their own AVP.

Marantz just came out with their AV-10. So give Yamaha about 3 or 4 years after that. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I should've went with the A6A, still have no use at all for HDMI 2.1 not a gamer, just that it has bigger power supply, larger capacitors. I believe Andrew aka @AcuDefTechGuy may have sent in some recommendations to Yamaha. Like the new name, A8A, A6A etc. I believe they paid him 10k for those ideas.

Unless I win the lottery, I'll stay with Yamaha.
Even if I won $500 Million, I would probably still stay with Yamaha. :D

I might add a few other different AVPs or AVRs, but I'll still want a Yamaha.

B

bizzibee

Audiophyte
When my rx A3060 goes, It's gonna be a hard decision what to get next. The obvious choice is the A6a, but who knows.. The 3060 has everything I need feature wise. I am starting to itch for an upgrade though.
I should've went with the A6A, still have no use at all for HDMI 2.1 not a gamer, just that it has bigger power supply, larger capacitors. I believe Andrew aka @AcuDefTechGuy may have sent in some recommendations to Yamaha. Like the new name, A8A, A6A etc. I believe they paid him 10k for those ideas.

Unless I win the lottery, I'll stay with Yamaha.
We have a RX-A3080 in our Home Cinema Room, which we love. So when I needed a replacement AVR in the family room in Nov 2023, I wanted a RX-A3080 (as no need for HDMI 2.1 features). Also have a RX-V685 in Kids lounge room. Anyway, I couldn't find a Refurb (too old) and people wanted heaps of $$$ for a used RX-A3080. So I got a Yamaha authorised RX-A6A for not much more money than a used RX-A3080. Anyway, apart from the tiny LCD display, the RX-A6A is a great AVR.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
We have a RX-A3080 in our Home Cinema Room, which we love. So when I needed a replacement AVR in the family room in Nov 2023, I wanted a RX-A3080 (as no need for HDMI 2.1 features). Also have a RX-V685 in Kids lounge room. Anyway, I couldn't find a Refurb (too old) and people wanted heaps of $$$ for a used RX-A3080. So I got a Yamaha authorised RX-A6A for not much more money than a used RX-A3080. Anyway, apart from the tiny LCD display, the RX-A6A is a great AVR.
Your A6A is 150 X 2 @ 8 Ohms load , my A4A 110 X 2 @ 8 Ohm load. Sure, not much more, but still 80 more watts plus bigger power supply larger caps gives that A6A a much better headroom for dynamics at higher volumes. Plus I could be wrong but it has the Pro ESS chip. Oh and Aurora.

B

bizzibee

Audiophyte
....Plus I could be wrong but it has the Pro ESS chip. Oh and Aurora.
The RX-A8A has dual 32-bit/384kHz ESS Hyperstream ES9026PRO DACs, while the RX-A6A has only one to handle the main channels, and has an ES9007S DAC takes care of the ambient channels. Both the RX-A8A and RX-A6A support Auro-3D.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The RX-A8A has dual 32-bit/384kHz ESS Hyperstream ES9026PRO DACs, while the RX-A6A has only one to handle the main channels, and has an ES9007S DAC takes care of the ambient channels. Both the RX-A8A and RX-A6A support Auro-3D.
I agreed with you that the RX-A6A is a great AVR, it saves you a lot of money just by giving up the ES9026Pro that won't make any difference because no normal people could notice the better DACs would make on the surround and height channels. In terms of power output, the two will be about the same.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agreed with you that the RX-A6A is a great AVR, it saves you a lot of money just by giving up the ES9026Pro that won't make any difference because no normal people could notice the better DACs would make on the surround and height channels. In terms of power output, the two will be about the same.
It’s human nature to want what we don’t have.

If we have the A4, then we want the A6.

If we have the A6, then we want the A8.

Right @Tankini? :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yamaha historically is slow as heck. I remember when Denon came out with the AVP-A1, Yamaha didn't even have an AVP. It took Yamaha a few years after Denon before Yamaha came out with their own AVP.

Marantz just came out with their AV-10. So give Yamaha about 3 or 4 years after that. :D
Which sucks because we know Yamaha has the resources to release new products every few years. Now is the time to get a new processor out. They should have a brand new 16ch processor with all the bells and whistles the competitors have. Room correction/Sub correction (Dirac), 4 sub inputs (at the very least), all sound codecs, updated software. Everything to the 9's. I don't care if the cost blows up. Just add more high end processors to the market. :D :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Which sucks because we know Yamaha has the resources to release new products every few years. Now is the time to get a new processor out. They should have a brand new 16ch processor with all the bells and whistles the competitors have. Room correction/Sub correction (Dirac), 4 sub inputs (at the very least), all sound codecs, updated software. Everything to the 9's. I don't care if the cost blows up. Just add more high end processors to the market. :D :cool:
We know that Yamaha is the LARGEST audio company in the world. So they have more resources than anybody. If they WANTED to.

Only 2 problems: 1) they are stubborn (adding Dirac or even Audyssey is slim chance), and 2) they want to sell to mid-low budget people. That’s why when Denon released their $7500 AVP, Yamaha released their $3K AVP (16CH AVP with Dirac is slim chance).

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Your A6A is 150 X 2 @ 8 Ohms load , my A4A 110 X 2 @ 8 Ohm load. Sure, not much more, but still 80 more watts plus bigger power supply larger caps gives that A6A a much better headroom for dynamics at higher volumes. Plus I could be wrong but it has the Pro ESS chip. Oh and Aurora.
There are also a beefier transformer, 16G wiring, better capacitors (22,000μF) on the RX-A8A if I remember correctly.
I wonder if the chassis is also reinforced.
Still in love with that amazing AVR. And after a few years using it, I found the RX-A8A actually cheap in regard of everything it provides.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
There are also a beefier transformer, 16G wiring, better capacitors (22,000μF) on the RX-A8A if I remember correctly.
I wonder if the chassis is also reinforced.
Still in love with that amazing AVR. And after a few years using it, I found the RX-A8A actually cheap in regard of everything it provides.
Didn't know about gage used in the power supply, thanks for that info. Agreed, still love my A4A. Was going to add a 3 channel ATi Amp, but Doctor put me on some very expensive meds two months ago. So will have to put Amp wants on the back burner.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Here the very detail presentation

Rx-a8a has a sicker 1mm bottom plate.

Last edited:
T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Ain’t it just like life? If it’s not one thing, it’s something else.
Since I switched Doctors last year, he's been running a lot of blood work, CT scans of heart and lungs. Went from 3 meds a day to 7 a day now and one shot a week. Now paying hundreds a month, about a year ago was about 40 a month. Yes I do have Medicare and a part D for meds. Co-pay is good. If I didn't have Part D, I'd be paying thousands a month.

Andrew, some people don't realize how much medications can cost. Your a Pharmaceutical doctor. I once told TLCGuy aka Doc, that Doctors, Pharmaceutical doctors, nurses are the unsung heroes that don't get enough credit. Plus so I don't de-rail this thread too much, you're also a Pharmaceutical doctor of audio gear. Just as Gene is and others on AH . People come on AH, well cause some are really sick-like, from a life time of bad choices of gear or the lack of knowledge. I'm sure without a doubt, many on AH get gratification from helping members who lack, experience, knowledge or some just drank the Blue Kool Aid and are in need of a good prescription of knowledge of audio gear, video or speakers to choose correctly accordingly.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Since I switched Doctors last year, he's been running a lot of blood work, CT scans of heart and lungs. Went from 3 meds a day to 7 a day now and one shot a week. Now paying hundreds a month, about a year ago was about 40 a month. Yes I do have Medicare and a part D for meds. Co-pay is good. If I didn't have Part D, I'd be paying thousands a month.

Andrew, some people don't realize how much medications can cost. Your a Pharmaceutical doctor. I once told TLCGuy aka Doc, that Doctors, Pharmaceutical doctors, nurses are the unsung heroes that don't get enough credit. Plus so I don't de-rail this thread too much, you're also a Pharmaceutical doctor of audio gear. Just as Gene is and others on AH . People come on AH, well cause some are really sick-like, from a life time of bad choices of gear or the lack of knowledge. I'm sure without a doubt, many on AH get gratification from helping members who lack, experience, knowledge or some just drank the Blue Kool Aid and are in need of a good prescription of knowledge of audio gear, video or speakers to choose correctly accordingly.
I know the feeling about going from zero meds a day to around 9 following my week in the hospital to find out my heart is only half there.
Although I've avoided the financial burden by keeping myself poor enough to get my 2500 dollars a month of meds at no cost to me. (Entestro (4 a day) and Jardiance is damn expensive)
It's pretty sobering to find out I'm not invincible anymore.
(and that the gear I have has to last!)

Back to Yamaha....really loved my CR 1020 and NS-500's way back when.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis