Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks - I think what's happening is what's described on this Focal page (not the manufacturer of my speakers but probably the same situation) - Problem of speakers considered as out of phase during automatic calibration | Focal - it's due to a phase reversal due to crossover design that YPAO is misinterpreting. However instead of just ignoring the warning they recommend switching polarity temporarily during calibration and then putting it back to normal afterwards. This isn't advice I've seen elsewhere but it does seem to work for me so hopefully this helps others who run into this issue :)
The only phase issue I've ran into was a amp I had Emotive XPA-5 one channel was out of phase. I discovered that after running ARC with a Yamaha 7790.

About drove me nuts trying to find that phase issue. After checking every speaker wire connection and I mean every driver.

Last resort was pulling all interconnects. Re wiring back to just the Yamaha 7790, and Walla no more phase issue. The center channel on that Emotive XPA-5 was wired wrong at the input. I ordered a new board from Emotiva replace it myself. I gotta say that XPA-5 was worth it's asking price new from Emotiva.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just got the firmware 1.73 update
Will test later the VRR and ALLM

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
A4A here. The 1.73 update ran itself surprisingly quickly yesterday morning.
thanks going check again.

edit: nothing as of yet, but than again I done away with my broadband internet service.

Discovered a hacker was getting into my service. I made the mistake of letting a untrustworthy neighbor use my cell phone. He took it out of my eyesight. I'm still dealing with the fallout.

I use saved passwords on my cellphone. So this a$$hst has/had my IMIE number, more than likely my WiFI hot spot password, well everything.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
thanks going check again.

edit: nothing as of yet, but than again I done away with my broadband internet service.

Discovered a hacker was getting into my service. I made the mistake of letting a untrustworthy neighbor use my cell phone. He took it out of my eyesight. I'm still dealing with the fallout.

I use saved passwords on my cellphone. So this a$$hst has/had my IMIE number, more than likely my WiFI hot spot password, well everything.
Pretty rough hood huh?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
typo: IMEI, anyways yeah, down deep South, it isn't what it use to be down here. With all of the illegals crossing over the border it's just about like gun smoke.
Sounds like it's time to play Cowboys and Mexicans. ;)

B

Bernie Williams

Junior Audioholic
The only phase issue I've ran into was a amp I had Emotive XPA-5 one channel was out of phase. I discovered that after running ARC with a Yamaha 7790.

About drove me nuts trying to find that phase issue. After checking every speaker wire connection and I mean every driver.

Last resort was pulling all interconnects. Re wiring back to just the Yamaha 7790, and Walla no more phase issue. The center channel on that Emotive XPA-5 was wired wrong at the input. I ordered a new board from Emotiva replace it myself. I gotta say that XPA-5 was worth it's asking price new from Emotiva.
I had an out of phase issue that Audessey was flagging, double checked cables, could not figure it out. Plus had a nagging feeling that the music wasn't "right". Purchased the Stereophile Test CD which has test tracks for phasing. Worked like a charm, ended up switch polarity on one speaker.

S

smozi

Enthusiast
I think my A6A may have developed an issue, if people could help review the evidence I would appreciate it!

A few days ago I noticed an occasional chirp coming from my left front speaker. I had not changed anything about my setup in a few days prior to that, though I do remember installing the newest firmware at some point but can't remember exactly when. It happens randomly once every 15 minutes to an hour or so. After determining it was not an actual cricket that had found its way inside, I noticed also that when I put my ear up to the tweeter I could hear a regular electric clicking noise - again, only in the left front speaker, not in any others (5.1.4 [ext. Front] setup.)

You can hear that noise here: Stream Left speaker sound by user141888934 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud . I increased the volume to make it more audible; please ignore my background aquarium noises!

I can't be certain this noise is related to the chirping but that they are both only coming from this one speaker is suggestive to me.

Other information:
- When I switch inputs on the receiver, the noise remains the same
- When I mute the receiver, the noise remains the same
- When I put the receiver into Pure Direct mode, the noise remains the same
- When I increase the volume, the background hum eventually overpowers the clicking sound but the clicking itself does not increase in volume
- When I change the speaker setup (from 7.2.4 [ext. Front] to anything else) the noise remains the same
- I am using the balanced front pre-outs to my Audiophonics HPA-S400ET. When I switch the left XLR cable to the right speaker input, the noise then starts coming out of my right front speaker.
- I switched out this amplifier for another (Emotiva XPA2Gen2) and it behaves exactly the same way

I feel with all that combined I've eliminated all variables other than the receiver itself; not an issue with my source, cables, speakers, or external amplifier.

Does anybody have any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Edit: A few more points:
Unfortunately given my setup I do need to drive the speakers externally so the final point is not a solution for me.

Edit: The issue turns out to be related to wifi - the sound only appears when it's on and connected to my network.

Last edited:

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Regarding
  • When I swap the XLR left and right cables, the sound still comes from the left speaker
it is unclear whether you just swapped the cables (so that the left XLR out was still connected to the left XLR in) or switched the L/R connection of cables to XLR outs (while maintaining the XLR ins at Audiophonics).

Use the right channel Audiophonics only, and trying 2 cables in turn, connect it first to the left XLR out on the AVR and then to right XLR out on the AVR. Note presence / absence of the clicks and chirp. Then repeat the same experiment with the left channel of the AVR. This will help determine if there are any problems with cables or Audiophonics channels. Depending on the outcome, try the same experiment with Emotiva.
Next try powering the external Audiophonics and/or Emotiva from a different power circuit than the AVR, if possible, but still on the same distribution bus (mistakenly called "phase," since the power supply to a home is single phase) of the home service panel. Also try to switch some or all of the equipment to a circuit on the other bus.
Regarding WiFi, if you have this ability, try to use a different band, i.e. if you use 2.4 GHz temporarily disable that band and try the 5 GHz band (or two bands, if you have a triband router), and note any difference in behavior. If possible, borrow a different router and check if the problem persists.

Well, all that will keep you busy over the weekend, I guess. :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@smozi umm, that sure is a Lot going on with that Yamaha RX-A6A. Here's a tip, shoot Yamaha support a email, right click and/or if you're using a smartphone take a screenshot of that post send that alone with your serial number and date of purchase.

Hopefully you did register it with Yamaha. They built it, getting advice on a open form you can get all kinds of suggestions.

Personally, I'd just do a hard reset start from scratch , or take lc6 suggestions that will keep you busy all weekend. ;)

Your not gonna get much help from any others at least not right now, Denon just came out with some new models and most on here are fanboys of those.

They all foaming at the mouth talking specs, slapping down gibberish posting up links.

I'd just wait till you speak or hear back from Yamaha.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It's funny how Rotel calls this AVR a "Surround Amplified Processor" when it's just an AVR. :D

We know how @TLS Guy hates "AVR", so I guess Rotel is trying to avoid the hate. :D

Let us know when you get this $5K Rotel AVR. ;)

Oh, wait, not so fast my friend. This $5500 AVR has Dirac, but it doesn't have Auro3D! So you gonna have to wait for the next model to include Auro3D since there are so many Auro3D contents in the USA. :D
Because: $$$! A fool and his money is quickly parted.

S

smozi

Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips everyone :)

lc6, I did both - when I switched the cables entirely the sound still came from the left, but when I took the left preout and plugged it into the right speaker in on the amp the sound came from the right speaker. And I did switch circuits, I happen to have a separate circuit for the amp which is how it normally was but tried using the same circuit with no change. I could mess with my router settings but really, I've been using the wifi with no problems until just a few days ago and my network didn't change... In any case, even if I could avoid the symptoms somehow I'm lucky to still be within the 30 day return period so for me it's just easier and better long-term (in case I'd want to sell it at some point) to return it and let them worry about it.

Replicant, it was the hard reset that let me figure out it was the wifi - after the reset the noise started again after a few seconds but later I noticed it wasn't happening anymore. On a hunch I figured the wifi may have been doing something by default after the hard reset even without being configured and then shut off, so I re-connected it and the sound immediately started up again. And I did chat with Yamaha, who were very helpful and if I wasn't able to just return the unit to where I got it from I'd be sending it off for warranty repair which they immediately offered. So no complaints there other than the time it would have taken to get it back again.

So I think this is the end of that story for me but hopefully this being out there helps someone else at some point figure out what's going on if they have a similar issue.

Last edited:
S

smozi

Enthusiast
At the last minute while removing the receiver, I tried fiddling with the left wifi antenna and it turns out that the sound only happens when it's pointed in a certain area - not even right against the chassis or touching any wires. Pointing it outwards more fixed the problem.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
At the last minute while removing the receiver, I tried fiddling with the left wifi antenna and it turns out that the sound only happens when it's pointed in a certain area - not even right against the chassis or touching any wires. Pointing it outwards more fixed the problem.
To further isolate the source, try swapping the two antennas while keeping the one that caused the clicking/chirp in the inwards position.

R

RobertQ

Audiophyte
A6A 1.73, AppleTV latest beta (20J5366a) - there is a big improvement in regards to the issue with switching between Dolby Atmos tracks in Apple Music. Before there was 4s-11s of silence at a beginning of each track, now in straight mode (and at least some others, e. g. Cellar Club) it is almost completely gone - music starts playing in less than a second, perhaps even immediately and it does recognize it as Dolby Atmos. However on Surround Decoder mode (Neural: X) it seems to be worse - more often than not it is several seconds before it starts playing (not always though). But otherwise there is a big improvement. Not sure if it is ATV update or the 1.73, or both though.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I just tried with TVOS 16 and it still takes at least 4s to start Atmos music when using any upmixing (DS, NeuralX, Auro3D). When in straight it’s like 1s.

R

RobertQ

Audiophyte
I just tried with TVOS 16 and it still takes at least 4s to start Atmos music when using any upmixing (DS, NeuralX, Auro3D). When in straight it’s like 1s.
Yes, same here.
Still, it’s a big improvement when in straight mode (or some other like caller club, etc.).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis