Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
A6A. Yeah Yamaha Tech had me do that while on the phone with them.
I also noticed loud dialog coming from FPR. When I set cc to none the FPR has no sound. Strange

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Need to check with some of the experts here before I ship this off for repair (Yamaha's dime)
So I just added FPS and I can't get a test tone sound from FPR and YPAO keeps giving me an error message ERROR 3 can't detect speaker. If I play all channel stereo or anything else I get sound from FPR. If I switch FPR and FPL then the FPL is not getting test tone. So any ideas before I ship this off. Yamaha Tech had no idea and never heard of this happening before. They think it could be a bad chip. And as we all know it's no easy task to disconnect everything and be without it.
Just for clarity... FPR, FPL, FPS...are you talking about height speakers? Is this just Yamaha lingo?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Need to check with some of the experts here before I ship this off for repair (Yamaha's dime)
So I just added FPS and I can't get a test tone sound from FPR and YPAO keeps giving me an error message ERROR 3 can't detect speaker. If I play all channel stereo or anything else I get sound from FPR. If I switch FPR and FPL then the FPL is not getting test tone. So any ideas before I ship this off. Yamaha Tech had no idea and never heard of this happening before. They think it could be a bad chip. And as we all know it's no easy task to disconnect everything and be without it.
So the SAME speaker will NOT play if connected to the Right Front Presence speaker output, but will play if connected to the Left Front Presence speaker output?

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
What ever speaker that is connected to FPR terminal will not get test tone while running YPAO or doing test tone manually however I get sound through that speaker terminal when using all channel stereo or other DSP modes. I also get dialog through that speaker terminal but if I select cc none that terminal goes quiet.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What ever speaker that is connected to FPR terminal will not get test tone while running YPAO or doing test tone manually however I get sound through that speaker terminal when using all channel stereo or other DSP modes. I also get dialog through that speaker terminal but if I select cc none that terminal goes quiet.
Dam the bad luck, don't think I've ever heard of any AVR brand doing that. You very well could have a defective unit. Usually it's like nothing at all. Best of luck bro, your gonna do a return or send it into a Yamaha repair facility?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dam the bad luck, don't think I've ever heard of any AVR brand doing that. You very well could have a defective unit. Usually it's like nothing at all. Best of luck bro, your gonna do a return or send it into a Yamaha repair facility?
Yeah that is a bad luck. Good thing Yamaha is paying for shipping both ways. But still, the bad luck. :(

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
I told them to send me a new one and when it arrived I would send them mine.
They said they were months behind and that's not there policy anyway so I'm sending it to NY.
Not happy about it. I hate having something new that has to be repaired because then I feel like I got B stock and I'm waiting for the next problem. Maybe I need to go up the chain but I wouldn't know who to talk to. Checking BB I see they have some in stock so I guess they're not all spoken for.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They said they were months behind and that's not there policy anyway so I'm sending it to NY.
Not happy about it. I hate having something new that has to be repaired because then I feel like I got B stock and I'm waiting for the next problem. Maybe I need to go up the chain but I wouldn't know who to talk to. Checking BB I see they have some in stock so I guess they're not all spoken for.
From what I've seen in the past, they would send you a replacement when it's that new and you bought it brand new (not refurbished or used).

When did you buy it?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah man, sure do feel ya on this one. The only time I had to send in a AVR for repairs was back in 2012, had a Onkyo THX-NR818 crap out on me. Onkyo sent me the shipping label, box and packing material. Sent it off to a repair service center in Chicago, round trip took 5 days. They replaced a bad Network chip. Sold it off for 300 bucks dude still using it. Was a nice AVR, just didn't trust it after that much.

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
From what I've seen in the past, they would send you a replacement when it's that new and you bought it brand new (not refurbished or used).

When did you buy it?
Sept 2021. Think I'm going make a trip to BB and see if I can get anything done. They did let me exchange a TV
that was past return time.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sept 2021. Think I'm going make a trip to BB and see if I can get anything done. They did let me exchange a TV
that was past return time.
If it were only 1 - 2 months old, Yamaha would normally just send you a replacement and have you return the old one. But not at 9 months old.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
One thing about BestBuy, they do work with their customers. I've had good service in the past with them.

S

Sunrun

Audiophyte
If it were only 1 - 2 months old, Yamaha would normally just send you a replacement and have you return the old one. But not at 9 months old.
In January, Yamaha wanted me to take my new A6A in to their repair center (less than a month old). No replacement, I asked. They said their warranty only covers repairs and not replacements. So I took it back to Best Buy for a refund within their "holiday" return period. TG for BB. Yamaha was most unhelpful.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
In January, Yamaha wanted me to take my new A6A in to their repair center (less than a month old). No replacement, I asked. They said their warranty only covers repairs and not replacements. So I took it back to Best Buy for a refund within their "holiday" return period. TG for BB. Yamaha was most unhelpful.
Yeah that's the thing about an implied warranty. One hope's for years of service from the electronics we buy. Every, manufacturer of electronics will have QC issues and or defective models. Sony, LG, Samsung, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha etc are not immune.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that's the thing about an implied warranty. One hope's for years of service from the electronics we buy. Every, manufacturer of electronics will have QC issues and or defective models. Sony, LG, Samsung, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha etc are not immune.
Yep we hope everything we buy is 100% reliable and works 100% of the time.

The next best thing is excellent customer service and warranty.

So far from what I have seen with my own eyes, Yamaha fits the description.

I’ve mentioned this a few times before - Yamaha offered (a person we know here) a replacement of his RX-A3080. I think it was in the 30 day purchase window.

I hope they would continue to do this, especially with their 5YR warranty, which seems to be industry leading.

Beyond the 30 day, Yamaha offers free shipping both ways for the 5 YR warranty period, which is also industry leading. I’ve NEVER heard of ANYONE offering this!

One thing is for sure - I never want to spend more than $2K for AVR, AVP or AMP ($9K/pair for speakers, $6K for Projectors). :D

As @PENG and I have said, it hurts a lot less when the things we buy cost a lot less. :D

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Well BB was no help they just wanted to send it to there repair service, not happening.
So I'll pack it up this weekend and send it to NY and hope it doesn't take forever. I'll
slip my 3020 back into service in the meantime. Tech did tell me if it's real bad they would talk to me
about a replacement. Not exactly sure what that means, hopefully not a refurb.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Looked into the audio encoding tech called MQA, which is increasingly being used by hi-res streaming services such as Tidal. Yamaha AVRs do not seem to support it natively:
Aventage AVR specs
...which is just as fine, because it appears to be snake oil, not lossless and actually distorting the original by aliasing into the audible band, as shown in detail in this video:
I published music on Tidal to test MQA - MQA Review
So, nothing like a good old FLAC.

Also, before you delve into hi-res that (supposedly) preserves ultrasonic content, check the max frequency you can actually hear at your age:
How Old is Your Hearing? - Interactive Test for Your Ears
Keep the headphones volume low during the test!

Once you establish the approximate max frequency you can hear in the above video, round it down to the nearest kHz multiple, then find on YT test tone videos from that frequency onward 100 Hz apart and play them to determine the more exact cutoff. Formula for hearing-equivalent age: (20925 - MaxAudibleFrequency) / 166.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
I guess the lack of response means everyone has tried the hearing tests and now ponders why they spent all that money on equipment reproducing sound perfectly to 20+ kHz.

Similar audio shenanigans with the supposedly hi-res audiophile music posted by various outfits, e.g. NBR, on YouTube. While the uploaded sources may indeed have been hi-res PCM with sampling rates > 44.1 kHz, YT applied lossy compression to them, so the best you can get is mp4a@192k or opus@160k:
Whats with all these Audiophile YouTube Playlists?

Not that it sounds bad when reproduced even by an older Yamaha receiver that adds multichannel "enhancement" effects, but still not the real deal... If you like jazz trios, try this (there is a series of recordings made in the same setting):
Bob James - Angela (theme from 'Taxi') (4K)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I guess the lack of response means everyone has tried the hearing tests and now ponders why they spent all that money on equipment reproducing sound perfectly to 20+ kHz.

Similar audio shenanigans with the supposedly hi-res audiophile music posted by various outfits, e.g. NBR, on YouTube. While the uploaded sources may indeed have been hi-res PCM with sampling rates > 44.1 kHz, YT applied lossy compression to them, so the best you can get is mp4a@192k or opus@160k:
Whats with all these Audiophile YouTube Playlists?

Not that it sounds bad when reproduced even by an older Yamaha receiver that adds multichannel "enhancement" effects, but still not the real deal... If you like jazz trios, try this (there is a series of recordings made in the same setting):
Bob James - Angela (theme from 'Taxi') (4K)
I spent too many weekends at CBGB's listening to punk bands to even try the test but thanks for posting it.
Also, props on the Taxi theme. That show was totally NYC in the 1970s...just like the Odd Couple was earlier in the decade.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis