Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. My comment wasn't based on your tenure but more to help you get the needed responses ...bro.
This is the main point that needs making…
A sidebar question may yield a quick answer to an off topic or tangentially related concern.
The question becomes whether you get the best answer to your sidebar.

:)

lc6

Junior Audioholic
I am new to this forum, but from my cursory observations of this and other discussion threads, a small group of long-time audio-bros keep posting among themselves, sharing some insider jokes and taunting and patting each other on the back, instead of providing anything of substance or general value. Guess their knowledge of the AV gear comes down to mere peddling and interconnecting, rather than actually designing, building, measuring and using it.
The truth of the matter is that most AVRs are, technologically, behind the curve. All this nonsense about energy-inefficient Class A/B being "audiophile grade" but other classes being not. Since none of the leading AVR vendors, including Yamaha, seem to have official plans for more energy- and space-efficient as well as lighter-weight solutions, I asked my question about Class D amps on this thread, since some of the AVR owners, including those of Yamaha, may want to explore a similar alternative upgrade path. Sure, I may not get all the answer I could otherwise, but in the case of PSB speakers (admittedly, unrelated to the Yamaha AxA AVR line) the responses were multiple and quite informative -- thank you again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am new to this forum, but from my cursory observations of this and other discussion threads, a small group of long-time audio-bros keep posting among themselves, sharing some insider jokes and taunting and patting each other on the back, instead of providing anything of substance or general value. Guess their knowledge of the AV gear comes down to mere peddling and interconnecting, rather than actually designing, building, measuring and using it.
The truth of the matter is that most AVRs are, technologically, behind the curve. All this nonsense about energy-inefficient Class A/B being "audiophile grade" but other classes being not. Since none of the leading AVR vendors, including Yamaha, seem to have official plans for more energy- and space-efficient as well as lighter-weight solutions, I asked my question about Class D amps on this thread, since some of the AVR owners, including those of Yamaha, may want to explore a similar alternative upgrade path. Sure, I may not get all the answer I could otherwise, but in the case of PSB speakers (admittedly, unrelated to the Yamaha AxA AVR line) the responses were multiple and quite informative -- thank you again.
To be fair, there are several active threads about Class D right now. Including one where I will be building my own. ;)

I didn't have a problem with your questions... yet have from time to time recommended the same thing to others.;)

Please don't take it amiss.

This is a special thread where the Yammy heads get to celebrate year-old cutting edge technology that doesn't yet function on their gear! :p
:D:D:D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
We are all waiting for class D integrated amps with linear power supply. But we aren’t there yet.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We are all waiting for class D integrated amps with linear power supply. But we aren’t there yet.
Well… we are. The manufacturers and the ‘Phool’s might not be.
But the technology and the rest of us are ready to get our party on.
;)

lc6

Junior Audioholic
To be fair, there are several active threads about Class D right now. Including one where I will be building my own. ;)

I didn't have a problem with your questions... yet have from time to time recommended the same thing to others.;)

Please don't take it amiss.

This is a special thread where the Yammy heads get to celebrate year-old cutting edge technology that doesn't yet function on their gear! :p
:D:D:D
OK, so can you provide links to those specific threads?
And how about this as a compromise: front-ending a decent multi-channel Class D amp with a "Yammy" AVR, say an A6A? Would it be justified cost-wise, since the separate pre-processors that typically go together with such amps tend to quite expensive? Would this setup perform well, based on the measurements of the A6A front-end and its capabilities for digital sound enhancement? Can the internal amps in the Yammy AVR be entirely switched off to eliminate their Class A/B idle power waste?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK, so can you provide links to those specific threads?
And how about this as a compromise: front-ending a decent multi-channel Class D amp with a "Yammy" AVR, say an A6A? Would it be justified cost-wise, since the separate pre-processors that typically go together with such amps tend to quite expensive? Would this setup perform well, based on the measurements of the A6A front-end and its capabilities for digital sound enhancement? Can the internal amps in the Yammy AVR be entirely switched off to eliminate their Class A/B idle power waste?
I won't take a Yammy right now if you paid me. If I were buying I would look at Denon or Marantz only because they do have working HDMI 2.1. If that is not pertinent to you, then there is no reason to avoid these units.
I just have a problem paying for promises.
As for using the forum, I invite you to test out the Search feature in the upper right corner. ;)

You might see something like this:
For my build thread, there isn't much meat yet, but it is here:

Life does exist outside of the Yammy Clone Club! (That's for you, Mike! <3 :) )

Cheers!

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I don't need energy efficiency. I don't need a tiny light weight dinky lil box with a cheap Chinese board sold en masse to boost manufacturer profits (aka Class Diddly). I like my Yamaha just the way it is. Go to the DundundundunDenon thread and try your Class Diddly pitch. More Dundundundundenon fans are into the Class Diddly. Move yourself to another thread. Don't darken Yamaha's doorstep again. Be gone! Vamoose.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I don't need energy efficiency. I don't need a tiny light weight dinky lil box with a cheap Chinese board sold en masse to boost manufacturer profits (aka Class Diddly). I like my Yamaha just the way it is. Go to the DundundundunDenon thread and try your Class Diddly pitch. More Dundundundundenon fans are into the Class Diddly. Move yourself to another thread. Don't darken Yamaha's doorstep again. Be gone! Vamoose.
You sound like one of those "tenured long-time audio-bros" he mentioned...LMAO :p ;) However, I do concur.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I won't take a Yammy right now if you paid me. If I were buying I would look at Denon or Marantz only because they do have working HDMI 2.1. If that is not pertinent to you, then there is no reason to avoid these units.
I just have a problem paying for promises.
As for using the forum, I invite you to test out the Search feature in the upper right corner. ;)

You might see something like this:
For my build thread, there isn't much meat yet, but it is here:

Life does exist outside of the Yammy Clone Club! (That's for you, Mike! <3 :) )

Cheers!
I'm all over AH, but sure life exists outside of Yammy. As you stated I have no need for 2.1, don't believe I will. But that still doesn't excuse Yammy's hold up on unlocking all the 2.1 port's. I sure HDMI.org got a lot to do with that. I like my RX-A4A.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm all over AH, but sure life exists outside of Yammy. As you stated I have no need for 2.1, don't believe I will. But that still doesn't excuse Yammy's hold up on unlocking all the 2.1 port's. I sure HDMI.org got a lot to do with that. I like my RX-A4A.
If I needed an AVR TODAY, I would get a YAMAHA 100%. :D

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Finally my 7.2.4 setup is complete and sounds amazing with the A8A. The last two speakers for the back are a compromise, a Philips Fidelio 9000 connected to the preouts of the AVR by SVS Soundpath Tri-Band wiress adapter but it woks and they sound very good. The actual distance to the back speakers is 3.5 meters. After calibration, YPAO sees my back speakers at 14 meters. This accounts for the delay the active speaker and the wireless transmitters are adding.

Last edited:

lc6

Junior Audioholic
R u off your meds?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^
Maybe... but I think that's what happens when you mega dose veterinary Ivermectin. :pJudge denies request for Ohio hospital to treat COVID-19 patient with  Ivermectin | CTV News

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Me, too. If I need an AVR today I surely will get a Yamaha. Oh! wait, I did get a Yamaha A8A which replaced another Flagship Aventage and enjoying the heck out of it. Cheers.
It seems like much of what we say (what we would buy) is on repeat. :D

It’s okay - kind of like Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat. :D

Who doesn’t want something that works 100% without any bugs? And this will come in later generations of the product line.

Who doesn’t want perfection - something that works 100%, has 0.0001% THD+N and has all the features we want? :D

You want 16CH or 24CH for your little 16’ x 20’ room? :D It’s not a Yamaha. :D

But nothing in life is perfect. It all boils down to the SALIENT factor to each of us.

You want a 5YR Warranty and possibly the best reliability? Get the Yamaha Avantage.

You want possibly the best customer support who gives you FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYS for the 5YR Warranty? Get the Avantage.

You want HDMI 2.1 that works 100%? Wait 1 or 2 more years. HDMI 2.1 is still too NEW and BUGGY, so I don’t think anyone is a clear winner as of today.

You want a better Automatic Room Correction/EQ built into your AVR/AVP? You can try Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, Trinnov, Lyngdorf.

You want ALL OF THE ABOVE? You’ll have to wait until you’re in HEAVEN or until Yamaha does something absolutely shocking and adds DIRAC and 16CH of processing. :D

Everyone is different. For me, something like the RX-A6A (equivalent to my RX-A3080) or maybe the next generation RX-A6B is perfect since my wish list is significantly shorter than some people. :D

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Me, too. If I need an AVR today I surely will get a Yamaha. Oh! wait, I did get a Yamaha A8A which replaced another Flagship Aventage and enjoying the heck out of it. Cheers.
I still feel it's the best bang for the bucks... Almost half the price of the 8500, good sound, not running hot like hell, using fpga cpu to support audio codecs evolution.
My only grief is the f...g hdmi 2.1 update that was supposed to be released soon after launch and that is postponed again and again...

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You want HDMI 2.1 that works 100%? Wait 1 or 2 more years. HDMI 2.1 is still too NEW and BUGGY, so I don’t think anyone is a clear winner as of today.
I agree for waiting and bugs, but it's not new anymore, as third gen of chips is being developed. It's been around for more than 3 years already. A lot of sources and sink devices with HDMI 2.1 work just fine, such as several TVs, monitors and graphics cards. I cannot complain for direct connections at all.

It is repeater and transceiver HDMI 2.1 chips in AVR/AVP that have been a problem because several vendors did not want to wait to test and validate boards properly. They rushed it in a greedy way and paid heavy price in consumer confidence, anger and returns. Lack of validation pathway is the main reason why Trinnov, for example, did not want to rush it and they are still waiting for properly working chips.

My impression is that pride, arrogance and ignorance played a big part in several botched launches in 2020 and 2021. I hope this never repeats again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My impression is that pride, arrogance and ignorance played a big part in several botched launches in 2020 and 2021. I hope this never repeats again.
I see your Optimism...
Unicorn Fart GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
and raise you one flatulent unicorn.

:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis