Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I am so glad there are amazing Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Anthem with state of the art THD-N and platine plated rare screws. Please let me enjoy my overly distorted sound with my RX-A8A, my ears apparently are really bad as I like this amp way more than my previous Denon. Now I am returning to watch two or three movies a day and then not to abuse then listening music four or five hours. Damn I like the Yamaha “hot mess”.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I am so glad there are amazing Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Anthem with state of the art THD-N and platine plated rare screws. Please let me enjoy my overly distorted sound with my RX-A8A, my ears apparently are really bad as I like this amp way more than my previous Denon. Now I am returning to watch two or three movies a day and then not to abuse then listening music four or five hours. Damn I like the Yamaha “hot mess”.
I'm loving my YAMAHA RX-A4A! Absolutely beautiful sound flawless operation! ;)

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Be careful you shouldn't even be messing around with one of these before Gene's End All/Be All Final Review....you've been warned! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Meh, I doubt anyone would be able hear any distortion with your A8A. Even *if* it's a little higher I'd wager it's still well beyond human hearing thresholds.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You guy's know that Gene's Instagram account got hacked and are holding it hostage, using extortion to get him to pay money to get it back. So it may be a while before anything gets released from Gene's findings on the A6A.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Meh, I doubt anyone would be able hear any distortion with your A8A. Even *if* it's a little higher I'd wager it's still well beyond human hearing thresholds.
Hey, Pogre, I like my Denon, Marantz, Onkyo friends on AH. Ain't no harm in a lil snowball fight between friends.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, Pogre, I like my Denon, Marantz, Onkyo friends on AH. Ain't no harm in a lil snowball fight between friends.
I have a preference toward Denon/Marantz pretty much exclusively for Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I think it works better than YPAO in my room, but I had a great experience with Yamaha and YPAO still made an improvement over nothing at all. I think both companies make great receivers. I only really disagree when folks claim one sounds inherently better than another. I think they both sound great. It's the features that separate them, not sound quality.

My first big boy 5.1 surround receiver was a Yamaha RX V493, I bought in '98 or '99 and to my knowledge still works today. I used it for ten years then gave it to a friend in need a few years back and as far as I know it's still in service after more than 20 years!

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have a preference toward Denon/Marantz pretty much exclusively for Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I think it works better than YPAO in my room, but I had a great experience with Yamaha and YPAO still made an improvement over nothing at all. I think both companies make great receivers. I only really disagree when folks claim one sounds inherently better than another. I think they both sound great. It's the features that separate them, not sound quality.

My first big boy 5.1 surround receiver was a Yamaha RX V493, I bought in '98 or '99 and to my knowledge still works today. I used it for ten years then gave it to a friend in need a few years back and as far as I know it's still in service after more than 20 years!
Pogre, I've had so many stereo unit's, amps, speakers cd players, blu-ray 3D players, TT's , TV's, tube amps, separates, now throw in AVR's. My first AVR was a Sony ES back in 92 if I remember right, sound was nice with it. But I really didn't like the surround thing at the time wasn't much out than that I can remember. Plus being married at the time wife wasn't keen at all about more speakers ever where. Plus didn't have internet, so shopping was by mail order only or CircuitCity or Best Buy or Radio Shack. One day I came home with my first pair of Paradigm tower speakers paid umm close to 2K for them wife threw one hell of a hissy fit. lol man those where the good ole days.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I think everyone here would gladly accept a free Yamaha A4A, A6A or A8A and would love the sound quality. :D

But being audiophile nerds from the time we were 18 years old to now, we‘re gonna talk about inaudible measurement numbers like THD+N forever. :D

And understandably gripe about every bug or even changes that we don’t like.
I have been playing with a 3070 and never heard the new lineup. But, if it sounds anything like my older receiver (mindbower), I'm gonna start to save my pennies for the prepro on this new lineup, in case it gets released in the near future.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre, I've had so many stereo unit's, amps, speakers cd players, blu-ray 3D players, TT's , TV's, tube amps, separates, now throw in AVR's. My first AVR was a Sony ES back in 92 if I remember right, sound was nice with it. But I really didn't like the surround thing at the time wasn't much out than that I can remember. Plus being married at the time wife wasn't keen at all about more speakers ever where. Plus didn't have internet, so shopping was by mail order only or CircuitCity or Best Buy or Radio Shack. One day I came home with my first pair of Paradigm tower speakers paid umm close to 2K for them wife threw one hell of a hissy fit. lol man those where the good ole days.
Yeah, I think 5.1 was pretty new when I got that receiver. It didn't actually do the processing, but had 5.1 discrete inputs so I needed a DVD player with preouts fit it to work. I didn't know jack squat about surround sound back then and thought I did pretty good future proofing myself. Maybe I did... I used it for ten years! Finally replaced it with a Denon AVR 1910, which btw, is also still in service at neighbor Bob's house so I get to visit it from time to time. That was my first foray into HDMI and 1080p.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To all the nay sayers of Yamaha, let me remind you that this is Yamaha's first real debacle since I joined Audioholics and it comes at a time where there were shortages due to Covid. I do agree that Yamaha should have delayed release for one more year, releasing in 2021 instead of 2020 and tested more thoroughly. Up until 2020, Yamaha was THE company to beat in terms of QC and reliability. So stop being a bunch of glamour pussy gossips with your poop talk. Its really unbecomming to drone on mindlessly and endlessly.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic

So you had a Yamaha in 1998?? Ok, have you heard a newer flagship from them , say 2018 and onwards? explored all it's features? That would let you know if it really fell short next to your Denon/Marantz stuff or not.

I can"t comment because I have not compared all the nitty gritty between higher end receivers from both brands to make a determination. But, how are you so sure if you haven't made a in house comparison? Is it just based on a review you read?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you had a Yamaha in 1998?? Ok, have you heard a newer flagship from them , say 2018 and onwards? explored all it's features? That would let you know if it really fell short next to your Denon/Marantz stuff or not.

I can"t comment because I have not compared all the nitty gritty between higher end receivers from both brands to make a determination. But, how are you so sure if you haven't made a in house comparison? Is it just based on a review you read?
What are you on about? I never said anything fell short. I loved my Yamaha. Kept it for ten years.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
What are you on about? I never said anything fell short. I loved my Yamaha. Kept it for ten years.
My personal best is my Denon AVC-A1D that lasted 19 years before failure… wait nope my Yamaha Pianocraft is 22 years old and still works!

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I mean you stated audyssey xt32 worked better in your room than YPAO? Which year/model# of each brand did you directly compare to make such a determination?

Do you accept the results of any auto cal as is? Or do you try to understand it and tweak further from there? Is your room treated? etc. These are all questions that come up. I highly doubt any room correction software from any brand offers a magic fix for every shortcoming in a end user's room/setup.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Many of the comments I’ve made are not anti-Yamaha, rather pro-consumer. The gist of my message across this and many other threads is that all of the releases from 2020-2021 have been flawed. To be fair, at least the only flaw from the 2020 SU machines was in the HDMI, which they addressed with their dongle: Demon’s machines seemed to even increase their performance edge across the board.

My view on Yamaha is that I WANT them to fix their issues because robust competition is important and benefits us, the consumers. The same goes for Onkyo.

I hope we see some reviews from Gene and Amir both, and that it sparks a response from Yamaha to fix whatever flaws @gene hinted at finding on his bench.

I would like to upgrade in 2022 if possible, and I want it to be a pain in my @$$ to choose between 3 or 5 machines rather than being forced to wait or settle fo the least bad of 2 options. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis