Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
As of right now my A2A is performing very well. But it's Not the symmetrical amp design and it doesn't have the new chip in it that the A4A and up has in them. I will say I have been running it 24/7 since I set it up. It's just something I do with all AVR's I buy. I'll do that for a full two weeks. But as of now it's been very solid performance.

Last edited:
J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
Sure, done that before. Will say the a8 is a slightly different platform (different DAC I believe) so can't say it would be identical issues. It does sound a lot better than my previous low end receiver to my undiscerning ears, so may just keep it. To be honest, im not even educated enough to understand the issues Gene mentioned from a technical perspective.
I am kind of in the same situation. It is unclear whether the distortion Gene discovered is in the audible range or not. I am going to give him space to take his time and wait for his full assessment before I decide on anything.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sure, done that before. Will say the a8 is a slightly different platform (different DAC I believe) so can't say it would be identical issues. It does sound a lot better than my previous low end receiver to my undiscerning ears, so may just keep it. To be honest, im not even educated enough to understand the issues Gene mentioned from a technical perspective.
So no video and or audio drop-outs? When switching between sources? Or CEC issues? My A2A hasn't had one issue of any kind, yet. Actually I'm surprised because every other AVR that I've had, Yamaha and other brands have had in the pass something creeps up, be it a source issue when switching and or audio, video drop-outs. I was expecting at least a CEC issue but nothing as of yet. The sound quality is really good, 4k upscale is working as it should. There are updates down the road I'm waiting on.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I've noticed that if ATV is connected to TV and then TV via eARC to A6A there are couple of workarounds to get rid of the delay. For example if I disable eARC so the tv fallbacks to ARC it then no longer uses DD+ and the delay is gone. Same if I leave eARC but force TV to use DD and not DD+.

If I attach ATV directly to A6A then the delay is back for Atmos tracks - ATV has some options regarding output format and probably this can be workarounded as well, I haven't tried yet.
I hoped Yamaha would have addressed this issue for those purchasing Aventage models. I’ve gone into lots of detail and sent many pics of the issue their way over the last year about the delay when using the Apple TV 4K. My RX-V6A finally has minimal delay comparable to my Onkyo after a few firmware updates. That battle for dominance is recorded in another thread.

I still throw lots of blame at Apple. They simply will not bitstream Dolby Digital Plus and it gets converted to PCM. This is not an issue until atmos metadata is added to the mix. Some receivers trip over it a bit. One can convert everything to Dolby Digital 5.1 or turn atmos off and just get converted PCM without metadata but they should not have to do so.

Apple needs to just bitstream everything already and Yamaha needs to get firmware updates out to Aventage models to deal with the issue. Updates for Yamaha’s other models improved performance in my unit anyway.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Thanks for doing that but it seems lots of these mistakes due to ppl not knowing what they're doing. They rely on FW update as cure all.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
So no video and or audio drop-outs? When switching between sources? Or CEC issues? My A2A hasn't had one issue of any kind, yet. Actually I'm surprised because every other AVR that I've had, Yamaha and other brands have had in the pass something creep up, be it a source issue when switching and or audio, video drop-outs. I was expecting at least a CEC issue but nothing as of yet. The sound quality is really good, 4k upscale is working as it should. There are updates down the road I'm waiting on.
I have DEFINITELY had those issues with CEC and audio drop outs, which I am optimistic the firmware can resolve. I have an LG C9 which is kind of notorious for eARC issues. I meant the measurements Gene described, I'm just not that technically aware (yet). It sounds great to me, but, I have no real comparison or refined sense in this area and so I wouldn't count my opinion there as very much.

My main complaint would be the eARC issues. When I change channel using my OTA antenna it drops out unless eARC is off. If I try to pass through Dolby Digital+/Atmos content its a bit of a mess (from Disney+) and drops out constantly. I've had a *few* brief drop outs passing through DTS:X audio when using my PS5/Xbox Series X. So, ideally, I want that HDMI 2.1 update so I can just bypass eARC.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
May I suggest a Denon AVR made after May 2021 and a TCL TV? Then you need an 8K TV with Hdmi 2.1 costing $3K for current Xbox..etc. for all 2.1 performance with your gaming boxes. Perhaps new model TV's will all have HDMI 2.1, but check specific models by calling the Mfgs.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have DEFINITELY had those issues with CEC and audio drop outs, which I am optimistic the firmware can resolve. I have an LG C9 which is kind of notorious for eARC issues. I meant the measurements Gene described, I'm just not that technically aware (yet). It sounds great to me, but, I have no real comparison or refined sense in this area and so I wouldn't count my opinion there as very much.

My main complaint would be the eARC issues. When I change channel using my OTA antenna it drops out unless eARC is off. If I try to pass through Dolby Digital+/Atmos content its a bit of a mess (from Disney+) and drops out constantly. I've had a *few* brief drop outs passing through DTS:X audio when using my PS5/Xbox Series X. So, ideally, I want that HDMI 2.1 update so I can just bypass eARC.
Thanks, I've had Vizio 4K TVs that didn't play well with my Yamaha's in the past. Mostly CEC issues, drove me nuts. I got rid of my Vizio 4K TVs. Just many bugs, update's would work for a week or two than back to acting up again. I don't use apple anything, my oldest Son has a apple tv thing and it does act up with his a1050 Yamaha. Like I stated in my post above, I'm actually surprised I'm not having any issues with my A2A as of now. Hopefully that will continue.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for doing that but it seems lots of these mistakes due to ppl not knowing what they're doing. They rely on FW update as cure all.
Right, no firmware update can fix incorrect settings. But, audio delay issues concerning the Apple TV 4K are well known to Yamaha at this point. We'll see if firmware updates sort it out for the new Aventage models.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
May I suggest a Denon AVR made after May 2021 and a TCL TV? Then you need an 8K TV with Hdmi 2.1 costing $3K for current Xbox..etc. for all 2.1 performance with your gaming boxes. Perhaps new model TV's will all have HDMI 2.1, but check specific models by calling the Mfgs.
Not sure if responding to me, but I actually have multiple HDMI 2.1 devices (3090, PS5, Xbox Series X) and I much prefer the OLED on my c9, new TV not in budget atm. I am not unhappy with my a8a, most likely waiting this all out for firmware unless there are egregious issues I learn about in next few weeks.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like on the AppleTV 4K, we are waiting a second anyhow to adjust frame rate when we select a streaming app so the AVR can use that time to figure out the AppleTV PCM audio contains Atmos. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like on the AppleTV 4K, we are waiting a second anyhow to adjust frame rate when we select a streaming app so the AVR can use that time to figure out the AppleTV PCM audio contains Atmos. :)
Before the firmware updates on my RX-V6A, I could start a Dolby Atmos track on the Apple TV 4K and go take a s#%t and refill my glass before the f#%kin' sound came on. :D Unfortunately, the audio lag exists even when viewing SDR @60hz in the Apple Music app to listen to Spatial Audio(Dolby Atmos) tracks but is less annoying when already making the change to HDR and 24hz to watch a movie in Atmos.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Before the firmware updates on my RX-V6A, I could start a Dolby Atmos track on the Apple TV 4K and go take a s#%t and refill my glass before the f#%kin' sound came on. :D Unfortunately, the audio lag exists even when viewing SDR @60hz in the Apple Music app to listen to Spatial Audio(Dolby Atmos) tracks but is less annoying when already making the change to HDR and 24hz to watch a movie in Atmos.
Ya I meant movie tracks. :)

Yes for Apple Music Spatial Audio it takes like almost 3 sec to figure out it’s Atmos with my Yamaha 2060. (Not sure if other AVRs are quicker). Unless, you are already listening to an Atmos song such as listening to an entire album in spatial audio Atmos. Only the first track you may need to back it up 3 sec and then play. :)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I repeatedly have issues with my TSR700/v6a with CEC where it works for a while and then just randomly stops working. I’m assuming it has something to do with the Yamaha since I bever experienced this before getting it.

In order to fix it requires a factory reset of the TV and Receiver which needless to say is a pain once the TV gets calibrated.

Looking forward to seeing test data on the new Onkyo as that may be in my future and hopefully bug free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Hello, I am a new member. Discovered you amazing work while looking for some RX-A8A reviews(which I preordered). I found that really strange that Yamaha knowing your work and background in signal processing engineering has spent so much energy speaking about their new platform for the next ten years and then (pre) released an AVR which from what I understand suffer from many issues that are easily (for an engineer with good measurement tool) identified. I now wonder if after having spent twenty years with a Denon AVC-A1D (rip, I purchased it in 2000 with my two first salary) I should better go with a denon 6700h or even a 8500ha. If anyone have advices. I use to buy high-end products every ten years cause I keep them for years so I don’t want to make a big mistake with the Yamaha.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hello, I am a new member. Discovered you amazing work while looking for some RX-A8A reviews(which I preordered). I found that really strange that Yamaha knowing your work and background in signal processing engineering has spent so much energy speaking about their new platform for the next ten years and then (pre) released an AVR which from what I understand suffer from many issues that are easily (for an engineer with good measurement tool) identified. I now wonder if after having spent twenty years with a Denon AVC-A1D (rip, I purchased it in 2000 with my two first salary) I should better go with a denon 6700h or even a 8400ha. If anyone have advices. I use to buy high-end products every ten years cause I keep them for years so I don’t want to make a big mistake with the Yamaha.
Until Gene releases his results, everything is speculation in terms of Yamaha.
It's been oft lamented that last year and this are really just a bad time to buy electronics. If you can wait, it would be advised to do so, even if it means buying a stopgap device like a Denon 4500 refurbed from Accessories4Less (assuming they are still available...).
Sound United didn't even release 2021 AVRs or Processors through Denon and Marantz. I haven't heard timing on their release schedule for next year, but if they are taking time to make certain their gear is solid, and Yamaha seemingly rushed to market again, well... Only time will tell.
I think we are still waiting on Anthem's 2021 Flagships. JBL Synthesis is slated to release updated gear early in 2022. The Monolith HTP-1 is proving very popular among its owners, though they are still experiencing some growing pains, but in the Super-Processor category the ATI-built Monolith is owning it.
The problem is availability.
If you can wait: you should.
If you can't: cheat and get a placeholder to see you through the 2022 releases and the full shakedown of the 2021 gear.
*shrugs
A lamentable first-world, 21st century problem.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Until Gene releases his results, everything is speculation in terms of Yamaha.
It's been oft lamented that last year and this are really just a bad time to buy electronics. If you can wait, it would be advised to do so, even if it means buying a stopgap device like a Denon 4500 refurbed from Accessories4Less (assuming they are still available...).
Sound United didn't even release 2021 AVRs or Processors through Denon and Marantz. I haven't heard timing on their release schedule for next year, but if they are taking time to make certain their gear is solid, and Yamaha seemingly rushed to market again, well... Only time will tell.
I think we are still waiting on Anthem's 2021 Flagships. JBL Synthesis is slated to release updated gear early in 2022. The Monolith HTP-1 is proving very popular among its owners, though they are still experiencing some growing pains, but in the Super-Processor category the ATI-built Monolith is owning it.
The problem is availability.
If you can wait: you should.
If you can't: cheat and get a placeholder to see you through the 2022 releases and the full shakedown of the 2021 gear.
*shrugs
A lamentable first-world, 21st century problem.
Thank you for pointing me toward some other brand I know but am not familiar with. I wouldn’t say I can’t wait but I am currently driving my BW704 with a 220v (it crossed the Atlantic with me when I moved to Canada) Yamaha Pianocraft mini stereo that is able to output 40w under 6 Ohms
The old class AB amp still managed to work after years fed with 60hz 110v converted into 220v while it should work with 50hz. I would just like to plug my center channel and rear speakers into something. From what I know about Anthem preprocessors, they are really good but lack for now Hdmi 2.1. And then I would need amps to drive 7 channels which are way above my budget. The 8500ha is more expensive than the A8A but it seems Denon has finally fixed Hdmi 2.1. So it could be a good alternative if I don’t have enough patience

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for pointing me toward some other brand I know but am not familiar with. I wouldn’t say I can’t wait but I am currently driving my BW704 with a 220v (it crossed the Atlantic with me when I moved to Canada) Yamaha Pianocraft mini stereo that is able to output 40w under 6 Ohms
The old class AB amp still managed to work after years fed with 60hz 110v converted into 220v while it should work with 50hz. I would just like to plug my center channel and rear speakers into something. From what I know about Anthem preprocessors, they are really good but lack for now Hdmi 2.1. And then I would need amps to drive 7 channels which are way above my budget. The 8500ha is more expensive than the A8A but it seems Denon has finally fixed Hdmi 2.1. So it could be a good alternative if I don’t have enough patience
Sadly, Sound United has not really "fixed" HDMI 2.1 in the Denon and Marantz gear. Their solution is a working one, but not complete.
The new Onkyo gear is supposed to be working out-of-the-box, but as yet I've seen no real review with measurements and I don't trust the chuckleheads of the YT Pop-Vid Squad. ;)
The new Yamahas are waiting for a firmware update, and who knows what other surprises await.
You are correct about the currently available batch of Anthems and 2.1. I've heard their 2021 release was a little lackluster in terms of workability. We'll see if they can redeem themselves as the year wraps.
Several companies are offering HDMI upgrades which will require, most likely, shipping to a service center.

:)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Sadly, Sound United has not really "fixed" HDMI 2.1 in the Denon and Marantz gear. Their solution is a working one, but not complete.
The new Onkyo gear is supposed to be working out-of-the-box, but as yet I've seen no real review with measurements and I don't trust the chuckleheads of the YT Pop-Vid Squad. ;)
The new Yamahas are waiting for a firmware update, and who knows what other surprises await.
You are correct about the currently available batch of Anthems and 2.1. I've heard their 2021 release was a little lackluster in terms of workability. We'll see if they can redeem themselves as the year wraps.
Several companies are offering HDMI upgrades which will require, most likely, shipping to a service center.

:)
As of right now everything on my RX-A2A is working as it should. But I have read where some who have this model are having issues with their RX-A2A. Like I stated I wanted and will get the RX-A4A. I'm holding out tell Andrew can get ahold of one. I may even wait till next year for Yamaha to have All updates out the box. And see how the reviews and or performance are on them. Till than, the one I have now will hold me up. Guess like anything else we buy getting lucky with one the performs with no issues it's always a good thing. I was thinking of getting a refurbished RX-A1080 from A4L same price $899.00 but only 18 month warranty as opposed to 5 year's on my RX-A2A. Also the A1080 being a 2018 model 3 years old already so going with the A2A was a no brainer. Denon was definitely considered, but with their work around with the 2.1 issues wasn't a factor for me I have no PS5, XBox or even the need for using a 2.1 input. But yeah seems like these new AVR's are a mess right now no matter what brand anyone picks. I'm sure in the end it'll all get worked out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis