Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

GregS

GregS

Audiophyte
Hi all. First time poster here but have been a reader of the website for maby years. Yesterday I took delivery of my new Yamaha RX-A6A. It is replacing my 4 year old Yamaha RX-A2070 since it was not able to pass HDR video to my Sony Bravia VH1. I also got it to pass through the 4k 120 from my Playstation 5 to the TV. My old reciver remote has a dedicated button I could program to turn on the Sony TV. The new remote does not have that function from what I can tell. I do like the new remote since it it backlit. And boy they changed a lot on the recivers in 4 years. I have a ton of reading to do and configuration to play around with. I like the new menu setup a lot more on this new reciver. Back to my main reason for the post. Any suggestions on how I could trigger the TV to turn on with the power on of the RX-A6A

Attachments

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Happy First Time Posting! Turn on HDMI-CEC in both the TV and the receiver. Turning on the TV will turn on the receiver. Turning on the receiver should turn on the TV depending on the source input selected. Are you using any streaming devices? Using HDMI-CEC, turning on some devices will power on both the TV and the receiver and switch the input to that device. Yamaha should have continued to include universal remote controls on the Aventage models as HDMI-CEC is glitchy to this very day.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all. First time poster here but have been a reader of the website for maby years. Yesterday I took delivery of my new Yamaha RX-A6A. It is replacing my 4 year old Yamaha RX-A2070 since it was not able to pass HDR video to my Sony Bravia VH1. I also got it to pass through the 4k 120 from my Playstation 5 to the TV. My old reciver remote has a dedicated button I could program to turn on the Sony TV. The new remote does not have that function from what I can tell. I do like the new remote since it it backlit. And boy they changed a lot on the recivers in 4 years. I have a ton of reading to do and configuration to play around with. I like the new menu setup a lot more on this new reciver. Back to my main reason for the post. Any suggestions on how I could trigger the TV to turn on with the power on of the RX-A6A
Post up your thoughts! Sound, ease of use, bugs? Nice pick-up! Welcome to AH!

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
HDMI-CEC is not a sure thing , in my case it's a TCL 4k TV & X2700 via eARC which the TV remote turn on the 2700 & a few other fictions with no issues but when I turn off the TV the 2700 stays one. It's puzzling.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it's all over the place and sometimes will work or not work based on which device was powered on first. No standard for every device and feature set means varying results for every setup. It's ridiculous and if it works reliably for anybody, they should count themselves lucky.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Me like the front display

GregS

GregS

Audiophyte
Well so far I have not gotten the HDMI to power on the TV or the opposite to work and the TV to power on the A6A. Not a big deal but nice to have. I stream a lot of stuff through a Roku Ultra. Weird thing with it.... It will let me set the display type to 4K HDR but complains about the ability to do 4K and Dolby Vision. That's more than my old Yamaha would do. When playing something from Netflix that is HDR it does show 4K HDR working fine and that's what shows on the information screen on the A6A. Setup and use of the unit is pretty easy. Everything is just different than my older Yamaha. It will take getting used to the layout of everything. Not sure how I like the Yamaha Music Cast app versus the Yamaha AV controller app I was used to with the other one. I do think the speakers all sound better than the old Yamaha but that might be the increase in power. I am using Polk Audio RTI A9s and matching center with a Power Sound Audio 18 inch v1800. I do need to go in and adjust the surrounds as YPAO set one to 7.8 feet and the other to something crazy like 27.2 feet. It might be because the room is not closed off and that side is more open than the left side. But all in all so go so far.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
Am I the only one that doesn't think YPAO is quite as bad people make it out to be. I had lots of Yamaha receivers before my Denon X3400H I have now and of course Audyssey is much better than YPAO. I thought YPAO did a good job of balancing everything out. Subs were a different story, not great but overall not a terrible system. Dirac would be interesting though. That would cost Yamaha quite a bit though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I agree..
I liked what YPAO did with FLAT eq curve and angle measurements..

Actually like the end result better than what my anthem does with ARC, and most definitely better than what audyssey xt32 did in my room..

Dirac on. my rotel rsp-1576 MKII is awesome however..

Would be amazing to have Yamaha with dirac..

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Guys just got an email from ABT the Yamaha V6A is available because they just received a shipment.
V4A. V6A and A2A are the "lost generation" of AVRs. Those currently do not have HDMI 2.1 functioning boards, free board replacement programme was announce by Yamaha in May for those who need it, and, once replaced, new boards will run HDMi ports at 24 Gbps. Not very future-proof, I am afraid. Plus, those AVRs support DSC over HDMI 2.1, but most 4K/120 TVs do not have DSC decoder, so practically useless.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Flawed? Absolutely, but not “Lost.” Many folks purchased these models and upgraded from lesser models so I don’t think anything was lost. But, for those who thought they would get it all from future firmware updates, some things will never be gained.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
V4A. V6A and A2A are the "lost generation" of AVRs. Those currently do not have HDMI 2.1 functioning boards, free board replacement programme was announce by Yamaha in May for those who need it, and, once replaced, new boards will run HDMi ports at 24 Gbps. Not very future-proof, I am afraid. Plus, those AVRs support DSC over HDMI 2.1, but most 4K/120 TVs do not have DSC decoder, so practically useless.
What is DSC?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Confused, not familiar with the Bravia VH1, but to my knowledge Sony has not upgraded their firmware to support 4k/120hz on their TVs yet, so curious how you got it to work?

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
According to ABT this batch they just received has the new HDMI board . That was my first question I asked, but you never know.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They meant that it was purchased to pass 4K@120, though that would occur after a firmware update.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Confused, not familiar with the Bravia VH1, but to my knowledge Sony has not upgraded their firmware to support 4k/120hz on their TVs yet, so curious how you got it to work?
At Sony forum they said the VRR upgrade should be out in a few weeks .

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yamaha RX-A6A. It is replacing my 4 year old Yamaha RX-A2070 since it was not able to pass HDR video to my Sony Bravia VH1. I also got it to pass through the 4k 120 from my Playstation 5 to the TV
Just to clarify. New models do NOT have functioning HDMI 2.1 features and bandwidth until new firmware kicks in. Have you installed new firmare already? Phil Shea from Yamaha said on Audioholics show a few weeks ago that they have a beta firmware and that they are waiting for the certification from HDMI Org before rolloing this out to consumers.

What kind of 4K/120 did you pass thrugh from Play Station?
Is it 4K/120 8-bit 420? If so, this can be done with 18 Gbps from older HDMI 2.0b spec. No HDMI 2.1 involved here.
Is it 4K/120 12-bit 422? If so, this needs 32 Gbps and new FRL data transmission protocol from HDMI 2.1

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Flawed? Absolutely, but not “Lost.” Many folks purchased these models and upgraded from lesser models so I don’t think anything was lost. But, for those who thought they would get it all from future firmware updates, some things will never be gained.
True, since Yamaha only admitted publicly that 2020 models will be capped to 24 Gbps. Something to be aware of when pairing devices.
What is DSC?
It's a visually lossless data compression protocol that allows higher bandwidth data to pass through ports with more narrow bandwidth. It is commonly used on DisplayPort monitors for years and DSC is now coming to HDMI 2.1 spec. If you have 40 Gbps signal from graphics card (4K/120 10-bit RGB) and you have one of Yamaha 2020 models with 24 Gbps, DSC is needed to handle that.

Problem is that most 4K TVs do not have DSC decoder in them, so this feature is practically useless, as entire chain needs to operate in uncompressed or compressed mode for images to be displayed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis