Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
At this point I wonder when the RXA8B will be announced? LOL. :)

Are they planning on refreshing them every 2 years?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
They first need to get this troubled generation to work properly with video inputs on HDMI 2.1. It's been delayed for more than a year to get new video chips on boards.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They first need to get this troubled generation to work properly with video inputs on HDMI 2.1. It's been delayed for more than a year to get new video chips on boards.
But these are still the 2nd Gen Chipsets, right... completely unproven on the streets.
Still blown away how eager everybody is to buy new stuff right now, regardless of whether it works or not. ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ALL 2020 and 2021 Yamahas need a firmware update for 4K@120. Models needing new boards will be capped at 24gbps after the firmware update. A4A, A6A and A8A models need just a firmware update for 4K@120 up to 40gbps. Not an issue if one is not gaming at 120fps. All can enjoy 4K HDR @60hz now. Would think any new audio features need to be awesome for anybody to unload a nice 3080 if they aren’t interested in HDMI 2.1 features. Yamaha f#%ked up like so many with the 2020 models. I would not have released the A4A, A6A or the A8A unless they were fully featured out of the box but Yamaha didn’t ask me for my opinion. Hasn’t kept me from giving it to them though, in email after email.:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding HDMI 2.1 at 40Gbps, I thought HDMI 2.1 at 40Gbps was plenty for 10bit panels for 4K 120fps. Such as LG OLED CX and C1. Only future possible 12bit panels need 48Gbps to pass 4K 120fps. Is that incorrect?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Always more affordable to get the old model on clearance when the new models come out in a year or 2. Paying full retail is pretty expensive. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding HDMI 2.1 at 40Gbps, I thought HDMI 2.1 at 40Gbps was plenty for 10bit panels for 4K 120fps. Such as LG OLED CX and C1. Only future possible 12bit panels need 48Gbps to pass 4K 120fps. Is that incorrect?
Something like that, necessitating changing out console, receiver and TV again for 48gbps.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Something like that, necessitating changing out console, receiver and TV again for 48gbps.
When in several years that 40G becomes a bottleneck for gaming systems, surely 48G is a bottleneck soon after. Just thinking this only affects gaming consoles. Movie discs are not likely to evolve to 8K 120fps or 12K anytime soon or ever.. Most people are streaming movies over the internet. :)

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Found a great deal on a used Denon X2700 should I pull the trigger ?...

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
At this point I wonder when the RXA8B will be announced? LOL. :)

That'll be when I start looking at them....let the dust settle, lol. Zero plans to replace my 3060

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
40 Gbps is fine, for now.
12-bit panels are not coming any time soon, but 10-bit 4K/144Hz monitors are already with us and TVs will follow soon, for competition purposes. 4K/144hz 10-bit panels will need 48 Gbps and HDMI Forum needs to revise current spec to allow refresh rates above 120Hz.

It is AVRs as intermediate devices that need to be the most flexible ones and with highest bandwidth to match whatever sources and displays people have at home or will buy soon. That's why 2020 models capped to 24 Gbps are a bit of "lost generation", in-between the transition from HDMI 2.0b to HDMI 2.1; certainly not as future proof for those who need wider bandwidth for consoles, PC gaming and future TV dongles with sports broadcast 4K/90 or 4K/120.

Everyone else who is happy with 4K/60 10-bit 4-2-2 and 4K/120 8-bit 4-2-0 images are good to go as those images need up to 18 Gbps over older HDMi 2.0b.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
All can enjoy 4K HDR @60hz now
Yes, with colour caveats.
Older 18 Gbps ports will give you 4K/60 10-bit 4-2-2 chroma subsampling, and not RGB.
For 4K/60 10-bit RGB, we already need HMDI 2.1 bandwidth of 20 Gbps.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Out of curiosity, I contacted TCL to see what model TV they have that is 2.1HDMI, a month ago. They have one and price was $3000.00. I failed to ask what size screen and write down the model number to look up.
I don't need a 2.1 HDMI TV, but I did get the free adapter box from Denon, a +month ago, out of spite.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, with colour caveats.
Older 18 Gbps ports will give you 4K/60 10-bit 4-2-2 chroma subsampling, and not RGB.
For 4K/60 10-bit RGB, we already need HMDI 2.1 bandwidth of 20 Gbps.
Forgot about chroma subsampling and RGB. Still coming up short there. Agree about lost generation of devices. Everything that came out last year and this year so far is only half baked because everybody wanted to offer something to pair up with new consoles that have issues of their own. The best TVs offer some but not all of the HDMI 2.1 features and those can depend on the console connected to them. Just a mess.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will do. And yes, I do have a tracking number!

The first A8 I saw in the wild was Techno Dad a few days ago lol. There are several people on the AVS Forum thread that have had their Best Buy order shipped today and yesterday.
Well, it has been about a week now. Has FedEx or UPS delivered your Yamaha A8 yet?

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
Well, it has been about a week now. Has FedEx or UPS delivered your Yamaha A8 yet?
Yes! But I have only had it for a day; the delivery was delayed. It will also take some time for me to set it up. Need to mount and wire 4 height speakers too lol

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Received my used DenonX2700 . Hooked up to a utility TCL 55" 4k LCD in the sunroom but the remote from TCL does everything except turning off the Denon when I turn off the TV.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I just put in my pre-order for the Yamaha CX-5300!!! Can't wait! They said it won't ship until 2023, but I got the confirmation email anyways! I mean they wanted the full $25k right now, but who cares. I'm getting one!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes! But I have only had it for a day; the delivery was delayed. It will also take some time for me to set it up. Need to mount and wire 4 height speakers too lol
Any pictures of your A8 in your room?

We’re desperate. Even just the box would do. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis