Yamaha 2020 Receiver line up (HDMI 2.1 - Full 8K support)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
They worked earlier and went to dealers site, but as i said the original links were taked down fast and some guy posted webcache links which worked some time. There was some features listed and the picture i posted, links were on AVSF originally. I have edited links out now.
oh ok my bad thanks.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Nothing mentioned about Dolby Vision support? Maybe the 8 or 10 should have it.
Edited 2nd time. If you look the pictures of the new Aventage range behind you see Dolby Vision is mentioned so they all have it!

Last edited:
C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
any update on the release date for these? I'm probably a month away from buying a Denon - but I'd surely like to see some reviews / have the option - for one of these new RX-A8's first...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
any update on the release date for these? I'm probably a month away from buying a Denon - but I'd surely like to see some reviews / have the option - for one of these new RX-A8's first...
The V6A and V4A are out now, I have the V6A Supposed to be coming in today but the storm just hit, passed last night so. Ordered mine from Worldwide stereo. I believe Amazon has some also.

K

Knitman

Enthusiast
Sadly, as far as I know, the top range will not be on sale until December. (In the UK). According to my dealer.

Although having just upgraded to tv to a Panasonic HZ2000B, which does not have any 2.1 HMDI. The may well be no point me upgrading to the new top end Yam. Maybe not unil Panasonic produce something like the Samsung high end tv which has the 8k capable screen.

E

EBN

Audioholic
The announcement has been pushed to 2021 Q1 so that is january - march and usually it´s 1-2 months forward from announcement when they become available. The virus situation did lot of harm for Yamaha.

RX-A8A = 11channels similar to Denon X6700H / Marantz SR8015, 3k$ price was on Amazon which was taken down.

K

Knitman

Enthusiast
Having also just upgraded my front speakers, I am n ot at all sure I need to go any further. Sound and picture is wonderful. The money saved by NOT getting the new Yam will pay for a 5* suite, which we like, for the week we usually book, plus pay for the extras on the rive to amnd from Frankfurt of wherever we choose to go. Once we can all safely travel again.

It is VERY easy to continually upgrade when there really is not a good reason to. My front speaker upgrade is astounding sound wise and a very lucky break for me. All done and dusted in 45 mins. I just decided to plug Monitor Audio Gold 300 in Eb ay and it immediately showed a pair, used, for a price that saved me thousands. It was a dealer which made me feel better. I spoke with him. Luckily, not too far from my town. He gave me a very good price for Silver 8's.

It was all delivered the following mornin g by a nice young man, who without making a big deal, proceeded to place the 300's where I needed them to be and plugged them in. He took the 500s away. He did all this in such a way as to make it clear he understood I was a wheelchair user and my husband had a breathing issue.

I was nervous. Had I been stupid? Were these going to be an obvious improvement?

We are both extremely pleased with the sound.

I call it Serendipity.

I think it is obvious why I think we might well stop now.

C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
well, not there's anything "wrong" with a Denon X6700 ... and I didn't really think the Yamaha's would be any much less expensive. This isn't an upgrade, but a "first AVR" for me, and I really like the things I was reading about the Yamaha's (3080 especially) but I'd also like to future-proof a bit, with 8k/HDMI2.1 and I am setting up for 11.1 channels. Next spring is a little far out though...

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Here are the renders of back panels of Aventage models. A2A should be more widely available in January 2021. Phil Shea from Yamaha did not disclose any information about higher tier model release date during his recent conversation with Gene on Audioholics.

They first need to roll out HDMI 2.1 enabling firmware (Q1 2021) for current new models and see how well those AVRs work with other HDMI 2.1 devices on the market, before moving on with releasing higher tier models. Otherwise, they risk losing this generation as "half-baked HDMI 2.1" due to buggy Panasonic Solutions chip. High tier models A6A and A8A may even be further delayed, until improved chips arrive ~Q4 2021. It's a waiting game now, plus the pandemics delays in supply chain and factory production.
AVR Yamaha 2021 - Copy.png

Last edited:
K

Knitman

Enthusiast
Am I blind or is there no place for 2 subs on the 6 and 8. i use the 3080 with subs.

Thanks for the photos.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Am I blind or is there no place for 2 subs on the 6 and 8. i use the 3080 with subs.

Thanks for the photos.
There are 2 independent subs both on A6A and A8A. They are marked 'front' and 'rear'. Pre-out row, 4th from the right, near black central speaker port.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
The A2A is available now. I currently have one. It still has HDR10 color banding with certain 2020 model TVs (Sony and LG) and it has problems decoding atmos correctly. It’s playing height sounds through both height channels and the center channel. It makes it impossible to pin point the where the sound is coming from.

For comparison my Sony 1080 AVR, the sound is precise and you can easy tell where the sound is coming from on the screen.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
We have an initial report on new AMD graphic cards also not being able to pass HDMI 2.1 signals (4K120 10 bit) through AVR to TV. It does not look good for new generation of receivers.

Setting: GPU AMD 6900XT --> Marantz 6015 --> LGX - black screen

The same user also reported AVR being able to pass through 4K60 RGB 10 bit only; so FRL 4L6, ~20 Gbps.

It's going to be interesting to see whether new Yamaha's can handle HDMI 2.1 traffic properly once enabling firmware is rolled out.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
New Yamaha receivers alleged to host 24 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports by Phil Jones

In this recap talk on HDMI 2.1 spec, Phil Jones from Sound United alleges that Yamaha has implemented HDMI 2.1 chips with 24 Gbps speed only, which means DSC compression for higher bandwidth signals in pipeline, especially 4K120 with higher colours and HDR. The allegation is that these AVRs effectively have half of possible bandwidth of 48 Gbps.

If true, owners of home theatres with at least one device that can only work with uncompressed signals, such as LG TV 9 series, would not be able to use new Yamaha's receivers fully, beyond 4K60 HDR RGB or beyond 4K120 HDR 4:2:0 content, as this is where compression kicks in. LG C9 is expected to show black screen if run above those settings, as it does not support DSC in its EDID.

It could potentailly be a serious bottleneck issue and deal breaker for many people, rendering those receivers unfit or with limited use with majority of HDMI 2.1 gen devices with uncompressed traffic above 24 Gbps, such as TVs, consoles, GPUs and incoming monitors, PCs and NUCs.

(minutes 14-15 in the video)

Is Phil Jones telling us something that Yamaha does not want customers to know about their HDMI 2.1 multiple ports? He might be throwing a bit of dirty water into competitor's garden. It's a great way to divert attention from Denon's shameful black screens when connected to Microsoft's console and unstable dynamic images from games and renderings played by graphics cards connected to it. Sound United still owes the public and owners of their AVRs a permanent solution for these serious problems and the solution cannot be a permanent silence.

However, if alleged HDMI 2.1 port speeds are true, Yamaha'd better think twice before releasing those high tier models until new, faster chips come in later on this year. They have not published the speed of their HDMI ports. It will be important for many customers to know. They should inform current owners about it too.

Few have encountered bigger problems with new Yamahas because they still have not enabled HDMI 2.1 features through firmware. The HDMI 2.1 FRL mode (speeds mostly above 18Gpbs) and the higher resolutions and frame rates it allows will be enabled in a future firmware update. If anyone buys all these new AVRs now or already owns them, they won't know if it's limited to alleged 24 Gbps until that update is released. It could probably be long after their return period has expired, if owners find published alleged speed unacceptable interpretation of HDMI 2.1. Many would think that this is "bare bones" HMDI 2.1. That's why we need to know the true speeds of HDMI 2.1 ports on these AVRs sooner rather than later. Thank you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis