Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You have learned absolutely nothing. You have bought another first order crossover with 6db slopes from Redneck Audio. So you will continue to burn out tweeters.

And no, a crossover can not be 4 or 8 ohms. For instance if the tweeter crossover is 4.5 KHz with an 8 ohm speaker, it will be 9 KHz with a four ohm tweeter. If the crossover is 4.5 KHz with a four ohm speaker then it will be 2.25 KHz with an 8 ohm one.

If the woofer crossover is 500 Hz with an 8 ohm speaker, it will be 250 Hz with a 4 ohm speaker.

You really need to do some reading to try and understand what you are doing or give it up. You can't keep blundering around like this.
I think you might just be surprised at how long he can blunder around like this. I think he's just getting warmed up.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
You have learned absolutely nothing.You have bought another first order crossover with 6db slopes from Redneck Audio.So youll continue to burn out tweeters.
The seller i bought from told me by reply that this new 3 way crossover is 12 db and 8 ohms. They don't sell 8 ohm 3 way crossovers at 18 db or higher on ebay or amazon,thats why i settled for this 12 db 3 way that offer 20khz for tweeters. By what another poster said,"4 tweeters per crossover would change their ohms from 8 ohms each to 2 ohms and they'll burn", it seems 1 super tweeter per crossover is better and may actually have a longer life than 4 if you take that and following in consideration, since this crossover is only 12 db lets say in 3 years 1 tweeter per crossover will blow, i will still have 6 same super tweeters that were not used and are still like new for replacements. Do the math, THATS 12 years of tweeter life compared to maby only 3 or 6 years if 4 tweets were wired per crossover??

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just discovered this thread, and I have to say this is shaping up to be one of the classic threads here at Audioholics. Pure joy from beginning to end. Enjoy it while it lasts, because free entertainment like this does not come around very often.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I now have a morbid curiosity to see this quad-super tweeter arrangement actually get implemented. Hey @domic, Google image search "series-parallel wiring diagram". If you wire two pairs of 8-ohm drivers in parallel, each pair becomes four ohms. Then connect the two 4-ohm pairings in series to get back to an 8-ohm load.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The seller i bought from told me by reply that this new 3 way crossover is 12 db and 8 ohms. They don't sell 8 ohm 3 way crossovers at 18 db or higher on ebay or amazon,thats why i settled for this 12 db 3 way that offer 20khz for tweeters. By what another poster said,"4 tweeters per crossover would change their ohms from 8 ohms each to 2 ohms and they'll burn", it seems 1 super tweeter per crossover is better and may actually have a longer life than 4 if you take that and following in consideration, since this crossover is only 12 db lets say in 3 years 1 tweeter per crossover will blow, i will still have 6 same super tweeters that were not used and are still like new for replacements. Do the math, THATS 12 years of tweeter life compared to maby only 3 or 6 years if 4 tweets were wired per crossover??
Well, I have news for you. The seller at Redneck Audio either lied to you or is stupid. That crossover is 6 db, there are not enough components on the board for it to be 12 db.

In any event, as I told you before you can not buy crossovers from Redneck Audio. You have to make and design your own.

First you need to know the T/S parameters of the drivers. If you don't know them, then you meed tp measure them with a device like this.

Then you need to know the acoustic responses of the drivers. If you don't have accurate manufacturer's data, then again you need to measure it with a device something like this.

Then you need a computer based modelling program (not run on a PS3) to model and design the crossover. That is how it is done. There are no short cuts.

If you look through this post you can see what some of the measurements look like.

Last edited:
D

domic

Audioholic Intern
Google"series-parallel wiring diagram".If wire 2 pairs of 8ohm speakers in parallel,each pair becomes 4 ohms,connect 2 4ohm pairings in series to get back 8ohm.
SO YOU CAN wire 4- 8 ohm tweeters per crossover and they remain 8 ohms each. This site says,"4 speakers wired in series-parallel, two of the speakers are wired in series with each other, other two speakers are wired in series too, resulting systems are wired in parallel,if all four speakers are 8 ohms,result from this wiring is 8 ohms." The diagram shows(i think i imagined it this way before seeing diagram), + of crossover wired to + of 1st tweeter, + of 1st tweeter to + of 2nd tweeter, - of 2nd tweeter to + of 3rd tw, - of 3rd to - of 4th, - of 4th to - of crossover. So maby i will wire 4 tweeters per crossover this way and they will remain at 8 ohms each and have a longer life than only 1 per crossover, even though im using a crossover with improper 6 or 12 db. Im using what i have til blow out day.

Attachments

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Well, I have news for you. The seller at Redneck Audio either lied to you or is stupid.
This guy has got to be a troll, nobody, I mean nobody builds speakers by how long he thinks he can get them to work before blowing up. He can only post internet pics but lacks a camera but has a PS3.

No guy who does any kind of DIY (even the horribly bad kind) lacks a camera.

He's pulling our chain to see how long he can keep this going or maybe I'm wrong and there is one person out there that is as stupid as this person is trying to make himself out to be.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
SO YOU CAN wire 4- 8 ohm tweeters per crossover and they remain 8 ohms each. This site says, "4 speakers wired in series-parallel, two of the speakers are wired in series with each other, other two speakers are wired in series too, resulting systems are wired in parallel, if all four speakers are 8 ohms,result from this wiring is 8 ohms." The diagram shows(i think i imagined it this way before seeing diagram), + of crossover wired to + of 1st tweeter, + of 1st tweeter to + of 2nd tweeter, - of 2nd tweeter to + of 3rd tw, - of 3rd to - of 4th, - of 4th to - of crossover. So maby i will wire 4 tweeters per crossover this way and they will remain at 8 ohms each and have a longer life than only 1 per crossover while wired to a 6 or 12 db crossover.
Just out of curiosity do you care how they will sound or is loud and time between burning out the only goals? I ask because I myself am too stupid to avoid this thread.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
SO YOU CAN wire 4- 8 ohm tweeters per crossover and they remain 8 ohms each. This site says,"4 speakers wired in series-parallel, two of the speakers are wired in series with each other, other two speakers are wired in series too, resulting systems are wired in parallel,if all four speakers are 8 ohms,result from this wiring is 8 ohms." The diagram shows(i think i imagined it this way before seeing diagram), + of crossover wired to + of 1st tweeter, + of 1st tweeter to + of 2nd tweeter, - of 2nd tweeter to + of 3rd tw, - of 3rd to - of 4th, - of 4th to - of crossover. So maby i will wire 4 tweeters per crossover this way and they will remain at 8 ohms each and have a longer life than only 1 per crossover, even though im using a crossover with improper 6 or 12 db. Im using what i have til blow out day.
Congratulations, that is your first post that makes any sense. Yes, series parallel wiring four 8 ohm speakers will be an 8 ohm load. However you have very poor roll off on that crossover as you were miss sold. In addition you said the tweeters you bought were super tweeters, which are very fragile and designed just for the very last top octave. That is 10,000 to 20,000 KHz.

What is your driver list anyway? I know you are using a 12" speaker for the mid, which can not possibly work well at all.

From the sound of it you would spend a lot less money and get better results, by purchasing a kit, or completed speakers.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
do you care how they will sound or is loud and time between burning out only goals?I ask because I myself am too stupid to avoid this thread.
feel free to read or post on any thread, these are forums and were allowed to speak our minds, ummm depending. With my old crossover set up at 6db, the speaker set with 15" woofers, 2 piezo(?) horns,etc, is not perfect but sounds great with eq, big lows,highs. With new crossover that still has incorrect db of only 6 or 12 db(because they dont sell any 18 db or higher for 3 way crossover at 8 ohms), my new super tweeters when wired should sound better not perfect but better with new crossover since tw freq is up to 20khz. Im just using what i have til they go, understand that, im not trolling or gremlin, i asked will 4 tw last longer than 1 to use tweets as long as i can til new speaker system. Its like using an old toaster til it fries. Most people will throw it away, but i keep on using it because i can.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
with my old crossover set up at 6db, the speaker set is not perfect but sounds great with eq, big lows,highs. With new crossover that still has incorrect db of only 6 or 12 db(because they dont sell any 18 db or higher for 3 way crossover at 8 ohms), my super tweeters should sound better not perfect but better since new tw crossover has freq of 20khz. Im just using what i have til they go, understand that, im not trolling or gremlin, i asked will 4 tw last longer than 1 to use tweets as long as i can til new speaker system. Its like using an old toaster til it fries. Most people will throw it away but i use it til it all burns.
One tweeter will last decades if properly integrated and not abused.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess what confuses me is, if you've spent the money for multiple tweeters and crossovers... why not just buy a new speaker? If you're really into diy, get a kit that's already done all the math and electronics for you. Follow instructions and put it together correctly. You might actually learn something. What you're attempting will not work and you're just going to spend even more money trying to "fix" something that's terminal. There's no fixing what you have with the methods you're employing.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
feel free to read or post on any thread, these are forums and were allowed to speak our minds, ummm depending.
;)

With my old crossover set up at 6db, the speaker set with 15" woofers, 2 piezo(?) horns,etc, is not perfect but sounds great with eq, big lows,highs. With new crossover that still has incorrect db of only 6 or 12 db(because they dont sell any 18 db or higher for 3 way crossover at 8 ohms), my new super tweeters when wired should sound better not perfect but better with new crossover since tw freq is up to 20khz. Im just using what i have til they go, understand that, im not trolling or gremlin
I understand using what you have, I seriously do, my opinion was based on your previous posts which basically said how will this do? People responded and you told them to ignore the facts.

i asked will 4 tw last longer than 1 to use tweets as long as i can til new speaker system. Its like using an old toaster til it fries. Most people will throw it away, but i keep on using it because i can.
The answer was is and will always be no for reasons previously detailed. Most people do use toasters until they die, mine is 20 years old, sucker keeps on going. :)

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
SUCCESSFUL TWEETER JOB, although a failure, not the tweeters, the new crossover was the only problem,had to return it for refund due to almost no mid freq coming from HH and then the resistors started getting extremely hot and ready to over heat,dont know why. I rewired my older 3 way universal crossover AND FINALLY WIRED the 4 super tweeters to each crossover at 8 ohms each and they sound great,the past week no problems. I lowered the first 2 highs of eq from highest to about 4/10(compared to when horns were wired)but highest on treble of receiver is same and the finest highs are quite great as well as low bass freqs, my older crossover is excellent DID NOT need a new one(new one pretty well sounded same). I did a test and the 4 tweeters are at the same volume if only 1 was wired so that means all 4 equally share the same power,meaning I MAY BE RIGHT IN SAYING 4 tweeters will have a longer life than if just 1 was wired per box,i win ya lose.

Last edited:
D

domic

Audioholic Intern
All this fuss about incorrect crossover db,etc,new crossover couldnt even handle my receiver.My older 3 way crossover is great.I mean you cant find a cd with lower bass freqs than Bass culture by Linton Kwesi Johnson,older crossover with 15" JL sub woofs shakes the wall and great finest "SSSSSS" highs(great for rock metal song Gravity by Max Webster)on my new 8 super bullet tweeters(looking at them now,4 tweets per large 18" woofer box[made to fit 15" at back],crossovers and tweets at top of boxes,tweets standing upright with 1 screw holding ea to top frame front,and wired as 8 ohms ea,will have to add 2 by 3 or 2-1 by 2s behind each row of tweets for extra support but are quite secure as is), the tweeter sound is way better than older set up. Now im going to hear how many years the 8 tweets will last,bet 12, think i'll play Saint Vitus-Die Healing cd or cool rock metal by Alice Cooper,Love it to death,will blast it, oh its close to midnight, dont wanna wake up neighbors,300 dollar headphones will have to do.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I rewired my older 3 way universal crossover AND FINALLY WIRED the 4 super tweeters to each crossover at 8 ohms each and they sound great,the past week no problems. I lowered the highs of eq quite alot(compared to when horns were wired) and the finest highs are quite great as well as low bass freqs, my older crossover is excellent DID NOT need a new one(new one pretty well sounded same). I did a test and the 4 tweeters are at the same volume if only 1 was wired so that means all 4 equally share the same power,meaning I MAY BE RIGHT IN SAYING 4 tweeters will have a longer life than if just 1 was wired per box,i win ya lose.
I'm sorry, but I think you've made a mistake. This is the Audioholics forums. I think you meant to post this at www.thereifixedit.com .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis