Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The problem is, you are basically abusing the drivers and that is why they're dying. Pretty much ALL of the issues you mention would almost certainly be solved by a properly designed speaker.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not sure anymore if this is real or troll.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
Im not sure
anymore if this is real or troll
hahaha.
I agree.This is either a wind up or TSTOE
what is tstoe? Well i want to make use of my current speaker set up til the high end woofers blow,then i'll buy a new speaker set. Yes its true that im using 10" bass woofers as mid ranges because they dont burn out.(i didnt mention that at beginning of thread because i was too embarressed to). BUT ITS NOT exactly what all you've been saying about the correct crossover/set up will not blow tweeters. Take a look at amazon reviews about tweeters or google it,tweeters often burn out even when wired correctly or when buying a new speaker. Thats what got me here in the first place because when i used to buy brand new speaker sets over 20 years ago,the tweeters eventually blew like within 5 years or less. Thats why i started building my own speaker boxes using the box set from the last store bought speaker set.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
One last attempt to try to get to you: @domic and I'm rarely known to give second chances.

Did you ever see original UK's Top Gear. Specifically Series 6 Episode Two - part two of
Cheap coupés that aren't Porsches challenge.
Presenters asked to partake in what eventually discovered to be endurance rally test.
Clarkson bought a 1991 Mitsubishi Starion and installed a huge turbo on it.

The outcome was unexpected - while Clarkson's new turbo made the Mitsubishi the fastest car in the entire race, the engine repeatedly overheated and broke down after almost every lap, before one last blow up put him out for good.

What you're doing is about same thing as Clarkson did. You're trying to modify a speaker in way which was not designed. Parts gets damaged from misuse. then you come here and ask for advise how best to continue to abuse the speakers.

My advice is same other folks. Drop this foolishness and start from scratch. Then I was young and poor, I asked out day my mechanic a question about my old '99 Corolla - what can I do to make it go faster. His answer was simple - buy another car. I waited a bit and did buy newer faster car. One which was designed to be faster from all aspects and stuff I couldn't possibly even consider.

Start at 19m30s

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have never blown a speaker and I like it loud. Something is seriously wrong with your speakers if you're consistently blowing tweeters.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
hahaha.

what is tstoe? Well i want to make use of my current speaker set up til the high end woofers blow,then i'll buy a new speaker set.Yes its true that im using 10" bass woofers as mid ranges because they dont burn out.(i didnt mention that at beginning of thread because i was too embarressed to).BUT its not what all you've been saying about the correct crossover/set up will not blow tweeters.Take a look at amazon reviews about tweeters or google it,tweeters often burn out even when wired correctly or when buying a new speaker.Thats what got me here in the first place because when i used to buy brand new speaker sets over 20 years ago,the tweeters eventually blew like within 5 years or less.Thats why i started building my own speaker boxes using the box set from the last store bought speaker set.
Since you haven't bothered to tell us, what is the 500 Watt receiver that you're using? If you read that on the back near the power cord, don't assume that means anything more than power consumption, which is totally different from power output.

If you blow a single tweeter, it means the amplifier distorted badly enough to cause the problem, or the crossover point is too low.

If you operate the system within the limits of the equipment, you should never have a problem with damaging speaker components.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
hahaha.

what is tstoe? Well i want to make use of my current speaker set up til the high end woofers blow,then i'll buy a new speaker set.Yes its true that im using 10" bass woofers as mid ranges because they dont burn out.(i didnt mention that at beginning of thread because i was too embarressed to).BUT its not what all you've been saying about the correct crossover/set up will not blow tweeters.Take a look at amazon reviews about tweeters or google it,tweeters often burn out even when wired correctly or when buying a new speaker.Thats what got me here in the first place because when i used to buy brand new speaker sets over 20 years ago,the tweeters eventually blew like within 5 years or less.Thats why i started building my own speaker boxes using the box set from the last store bought speaker set.
What you don't seem to understand is, a speaker box and crossover network are specifically designed around certain drivers. Unless you're win the lottery lucky you will never have a good sounding speaker or one that won't blow drivers if you're just buying different drivers and sticking them in a box that was built for something completely different and using crossovers that weren't designed for it. That is the source of your problem. If you're crossover isn't right, you can put 10 tweeters in there and they'll still blow.

There is a lot more to building speakers than just slapping drivers in a box and buying off the shelf crossovers. What you have is a mess. You said something about wanting to keep your "hifi woofers" until they blew and that's why you're trying to stretch your speakers. When your using the wrong box and the wrong crossovers you're not getting anything resembling "hifi".

If you've always had problems blowing tweeters you might want to look at your power source or your use of the volume button, but before you do that, I along with everyone else here strongly suggest you abandon those speakers and buy some new ones.

Or you could just keep buying new tweeters and blowing them up until you've spent enough to actually buy new speakers. The advice you're being given is solid. Take advantage of it.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
what receiver youre using?
Dont want to mention any name brands. Thanks for all advice,to my understanding it would be best to use a crossover at 99 dB with tweeter frequency response 2KHz to 25KHz(25000 Hz)(to match these super bullet tweeters and to get the finest highs these super bullets can offer) but crossover must be at 8 ohms and not 4 ohms.(but dont want to spend $500 for 2 crossovers and take a chance). Not much 8 ohm crossovers out there.NOTE-Theres a 12 db 3 way crossover with tweeter frequency: 5 KHz - 20KHz(up to 20,000 hz for those loud finest highs so that way i WON'T NEED an EQ[nor treble of receiver] and this will extend life of tweeters) at $170 pair,THIS SHOULD BE BETTER(anyone here agree?) than my current 6 db at tweeter freq 5000hz to 7000hz where i have to increase highs of EQ(AND increase treble of receiver) that will kill'em eventually. i notice an 18 db and 24 db crossover(which may be better) on amaz ca but its 4 ohms or 2 way.

Last edited:
D

domic

Audioholic Intern
To make things even more confusing, amaz ca lists different specs for this same supper bullet tweeter that i bought compared to amaz com. This is amaz ca listing where i bought them- 8 ohms, Resonance 25Hz(DO THEY mean 25KHz???) Usable Frequency Range 40Hz-800Hz(WHATS THIS, 800hz???) Sensitivity 97 Frequency (FS) 25Hz DC. And this is amaz com listing- 4 ohms, SPL 99 dB Frequency Response 2KHz 25KHz.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

To make things even more confusing, amaz ca lists different specs for this same supper bullet tweeter that i bought compared to amaz com. This is amaz ca listing where i bought them- 8 ohms, Resonance 25Hz(DO THEY mean 25KHz???) Usable Frequency Range 40Hz-800Hz(WHATS THIS, 800hz???) Sensitivity 97 Frequency (FS) 25Hz DC. And this is amaz com listing- 4 ohms, SPL 99 dB Frequency Response 2KHz 25KHz.
Look, you are a slow leaner, or an incapable learner.

For the last time, you NEVER buy a crossover, unless it is part of kit and made for specific drivers. You HAVE to design and build the crossover for the drivers you have selected. You absolutely can not make a speaker worth listening to with your methods. So stop filling up the forum with your rubbish. We have had enough.

You can NOT go about building a speaker the way you are. That is my last absolute advice to you.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I have never blown a speaker and I like it loud. Something is seriously wrong with your speakers if you're consistently blowing tweeters.
Agreed. 90% of the time I watch movies with the volume knob set to 0dB and have recorded C weighted peaks of 105dB at a 12' distance and have never blown a speaker. 80% of the power is going to go to the woofers in a correctly designed speaker, woofers are pretty robust and require sustained abuse to be destroyed. I've actually done some experiments with cheap speakers I no longer needed by deliberately feeding them double or triple the power they're rated for (most of these are small speakers with low power rating) in pink noise and it takes an average of 30 minutes of beating the hell out of them at 0 dbfs to destroy them. Nearly all home audio speakers are capable of delivering unsafe SPL levels in excess of 100dB at their rated rms power into a medium sized room.

I can't wrap my head around what you're doing because your posts are almost as ill thought out and disorganized as your speakers designs but you're probably blowing tweeters because of a crap crossover design allowing low frequencies (which will blow tweeters ) to pass through.

At this point what you have is an electrical and acoustical disaster of a noise making machine.

Buy a set of decent speakers to listen to while you research how to correctly design speakers. I guarantee they won't blow and will probably work 30 years from now.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Dont want to mention any name brands. Thanks for all advice,to my understanding it would be best to use a crossover at 99 dB with tweeter frequency response 2KHz to 25KHz(25000 Hz)(to match these super bullet tweeters and to get the finest highs these super bullets can offer) but crossover must be at 8 ohms and not 4 ohms.(but dont want to spend $500 for 2 crossovers and take a chance). Not much 8 ohm crossovers out there.NOTE-Theres a 12 db 3 way crossover with tweeter frequency: 5 KHz - 20KHz(up to 20,000 hz for those loud finest highs so that way i WON'T NEED an EQ[nor treble of receiver] and this will extend life of tweeters) at $170 pair,THIS SHOULD BE BETTER(anyone here agree?) than my current 6 db at tweeter freq 5000hz to 7000hz where i have to increase highs of EQ(AND increase treble of receiver) that will kill'em eventually. i notice an 18 db and 24 db crossover(which may be better) on amaz ca but its 4 ohms or 2 way.
If you want us to make informed answers, knowing the brand and model is necessary since all equipment isn't created equal.

You don't "use a crossover at 99dB"- that's not a design criterion for a crossover. You may need to match the level of the tweeter's output with the rest of the speaker system, but as TLS mentioned, using an off the shelf crossover will not yield good results. In addition, these are 'super tweeters, so 2KHz is far too high for their crossover point.

If you need to increase the output in the high frequencies, does this mean that you have a hearing deficit in that range? If not, you will.

D

domic

Audioholic Intern
You gents keep on repeating the same thing. My intention is NOT to build a perfect and correct speaker set up with all correct speakers and crossovers. My intention is only the following 2 options(before i buy a new 3 way speaker set some years from now), to either use the 6 db crossover i currently have with the new 8 super bullet tweeters,bass,mid, OR find a 12 or higher db crossover to almost meet the 25Khz(2000 hz-25000 hz) highs of these super tweeters since the max tweeter freq i get with my current crossover is only 7Khz(5000hz-7000hz).No other options im interested in as of now, for example not interested in starting from scratch, ONLY interested in the 2 options i listed no matter what the outcome.Get it? Lets hope one day ya could buy a simple PLUG AND PLAY tweeter, bass woofer and midrange that all have a built in crossover in each and all you need to do is connect left and right wire from any receiver and they all sound perfect, lowest lows, highest highs and mid like their supposed to.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You gents keep on repeating the same thing. My intention is NOT to build a perfect and correct speaker set up with all correct speakers and crossovers. My intention is only the following 2 options(before i buy new speaker set some years from now), to either use the 6 db crossover i currently have with the new 8 super bullet tweeters OR find a 12 or higher db crossover to almost meet the 25Khz highs of these super tweeters since the max i get with my current crossover is 7Khz. No other options im interested in as of now, for example starting from scratch. Lets hope one day ya could buy a simple PLUG AND PLAY tweeter, bass woofer and midrange that all have a built in crossover and all you need to do is connect left and right wire from any receiver and they sound like their supposed to.
We are not competent to advise on matters of "Red Neck Audio", and especially "Red Neck" speakers.

Unless you get an education you will keep blowing drivers. And what you want is quite impossible and if you understood these issues you would immediately see why.

We can not help you, as your fount of basic knowledge about all this is woefully inadequate.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Use the xover you already have or get a new one. unfortunately either way will net you the same results, failure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You gents keep on repeating the same thing. My intention is NOT to build a perfect and correct speaker set up with all correct speakers and crossovers. My intention is only the following 2 options(before i buy a new 3 way speaker set some years from now), to either use the 6 db crossover i currently have with the new 8 super bullet tweeters,bass,mid, OR find a 12 or higher db crossover to almost meet the 25Khz(2000 hz-25000 hz) highs of these super tweeters since the max tweeter freq i get with my current crossover is only 7Khz(5000hz-7000hz).No other options im interested in as of now, for example not interested in starting from scratch, ONLY interested in the 2 options i listed no matter what the outcome.Get it? Lets hope one day ya could buy a simple PLUG AND PLAY tweeter, bass woofer and midrange that all have a built in crossover in each and all you need to do is connect left and right wire from any receiver and they all sound perfect, lowest lows, highest highs and mid like their supposed to.
Your question doesn't even make sense. I don't think you actually know half of what you're typing. "Like they're supposed to" is what we keep repeating to you, but you're not getting it. What you're attempting doesn't make any sense when you throw around phrases like "like they're supposed to", "the finest highs", "the lowest lows" and "high end". None of what you're attempting is going to get you that. You're just going to keep blowing stuff up and they're gonna sound like absolute crap until they do.

What you're asking us to do is give you bad advice. You will not get that here.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Going to get Popcorn and a drink, I'll be back to check in later. :rolleyes:

L

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis