Would wiring 4 super tweeters per speaker box increase life of tweeters?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
2-way crossovers are intended for 2-way speakers. If you try to use a 2-way crossover with your speaker, you can kiss your tweeters goodbye again. You have to know the intended operational range of the drivers that you are using before you decide what kind of crossover you can use. You are just mixing and matching crossovers and drivers in nearly a random manner. You are lucky that you aren't destroying more of your own equipment than you already have.

D

domicd

Audiophyte
2-way crossovers are intended for 2-way speakers. If you try to use a 2-way crossover with your speaker, you can kiss your tweeters goodbye again. You have to know the intended operational range of the drivers that you are using before you decide what kind of crossover you can use. You are just mixing and matching crossovers and drivers in nearly a random manner. You are lucky that you aren't destroying more of your own equipment than you already have.
I googled-
What is a 2 way powered speaker?
A 2-way speaker has two types of drivers which are known as a woofer and tweeter. The woofer is a speaker built exclusively for low-frequency sounds, while the tweeter is designed for high-frequency sounds. ... Each of these owns its specific efficiency in a wide range of sound frequencies.

Google shows a tweeter can be used in a 2 way speaker box if using the correct drivers. But then what speaker would be playing the midrange? I guess it would have to be a special tweeter like a horn that can share tweeter and midrange. Maby i;ll buy some horns if I ever need to use my 2 way crossovers with my bass woofers and i'll adjust the tweeter freq on eq to max.Theres nothing wrong with my 8 super tweeters, they sound great. My experience with 3 way crossovers that eventually after 10 or more years, one of the freqs may give in as this happened to me before. So when/if this happens to 1 of my crossovers that are both 15 years old, i'll just wire my 2 way crossover but may need horns to do it, since those tweeters do create a high picthed in the ears midrange sound.(tweeters can if wired to a 2 way).

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
tweeter still sounds horrible with a high pitched midrange sound.
You keep mentioning this and it makes no sense, midrange sound is not high pitched.

I googled-
A 2-way speaker has two types of drivers which are known as a woofer and tweeter. The woofer is a speaker built exclusively for low-frequency sounds, while the tweeter is designed for high-frequency sounds. ... Each of these owns its specific efficiency in a wide range of sound frequencies.

Google shows a tweeter can be used in a 2 way speaker box if using the correct drivers. But then what speaker would be playing the midrange? I guess it would have to be a special tweeter like a horn that can share tweeter and midrange. Maby i;ll buy some horns if I ever need to use my 2 way crossovers with my bass woofers and i'll adjust the tweeter freq on eq to max.
The short answer is that the one designed to play it will be playing it. Some woofers have an even frequency response that goes higher than others, just as some tweeters have an even frequency response that goes lower than others. In a 2 way system you would want to pick drivers that complement each other and have a crossover point that works well for them both without any nulls in the overall frequency response.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I googled-

Google shows a tweeter can be used in a 2 way speaker box if using the correct drivers. But then what speaker would be playing the midrange? I guess it would have to be a special tweeter like a horn that can share tweeter and midrange. Maby i;ll buy some horns if I ever need to use my 2 way crossovers with my bass woofers and i'll adjust the tweeter freq on eq to max.
In a two-way speaker, both the tweeter and the woofer cover the entire audible frequency spectrum, and there is no need for a separate midrange driver. Usually, in a two-way speaker with a dome tweeter, the woofer will cover the midrange. It is very common to see the crossover frequency to be something like 2,500 Hz, and that gives the woofer most of the midrange frequency band. Some two-way systems can be crossed over lower, if the tweeter can handle it, such as in systems with heavy-duty compression drivers. In these systems, the crossover point can be as low as 1,000Hz, and that gives the tweeter much of the midrange duty.

D

domicd

Audiophyte
In a two-way speaker, both the tweeter and the woofer cover the entire audible frequency spectrum, and there is no need for a separate midrange driver. Usually, in a two-way speaker with a dome tweeter, the woofer will cover the midrange. It is very common to see the crossover frequency to be something like 2,500 Hz, and that gives the woofer most of the midrange frequency band. Some two-way systems can be crossed over lower, if the tweeter can handle it, such as in systems with heavy-duty compression drivers. In these systems, the crossover point can be as low as 1,000Hz, and that gives the tweeter much of the midrange duty.
Oh........................ok.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Domic! How are ya? I know I'm a bit late, but I totally missed this update!
Would like to take an updated picture of my speaker system with the messy foam repair, but the memory card of my camera became defective, and not sure when i'll be buying a new memory card, plus this thread is 3 years and 8 months old anyways, hahaha.
YES. Yes, you need to upload some new pics! I'd love to see how they look after refoaming. They have to sound even better now that you can remove the board with the rag on it, huh?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Oh Yes please! More photos of the project and the new upgrades. Your previous ones are some of my favorite posts on this forum. You do speakers at a level that is unmatched (good pun).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis