Would mixing subs be bad.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I have a Klipsch r10swi now an I'm thinking of getting a infinity reference r12. Would move the Klipsch wireless to behind my sofa an the infinity to the front . Infinity would be arorund 13 ft away , Klipsch would be around 1 ft. Away.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
It’s all about calibration. You may have to play with the phase alignment and delay but overall your looking for integration with the rest of your system with hopefully more output.

Most would agree that mixing isn’t the best strategy but it doesn’t mean your not supposed to. Subs with similar output and amp gain is usually the most important spec to consider.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also consider that when mixing subs, you’ll be limited by the weaker sub since it will run out of useable output before the more capable one. The infinity is probably the more capable of the two(didn’t look yet) but since it will be a great deal farther away, it might end up being weaker. Maybe even worse than that is you’ll likely have a bunch of phase issues since they’re almost certainly tuned differently. In short, yes you can mix subs but you can end up making things worse if you don’t integrate them properly.
Didn’t you just get a speedwoofer? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Honestly consider a second Klipsch r10. I bet you’ll come out way ahead. 29 hz vs 32hz is barely discernible!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly consider a second Klipsch r10. I bet you’ll come out way ahead. 29 hz vs 32hz is barely discernible!
Agreed. And neither great as far as extension so for HT, I would consider saving a little longer for a more capable one. Or two...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should not have bothered with the Klipsch and Infinity subs, neither of which are very good, and simply gotten one better sub....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Klipsch r10swi now an I'm thinking of getting a infinity reference r12. Would move the Klipsch wireless to behind my sofa an the infinity to the front . Infinity would be arorund 13 ft away , Klipsch would be around 1 ft. Away.
my condolences on the Klipsch sub. It would be the weaker sub in my opinion. don't think you have great subs in either choice so its not like the Klipsch will ruin the sound of the Infinity. Try it out. see what it sounds like. You may be happy as a clam. If not, there are terrific subs out there. There are dedicated threads to subs on this forum and some solid bassaholics there for advice. That's where I got the advice for my new subs.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
If the Klipsch r10 hits 112 db at 32 hz and is down 3db adding a second should at least restore that 3db.

Secondly what is it’s output spl at 25 hz and 20hz.

It’s best to consider those specs as well. What type of bass is important to you ie fast tight and accurate or louder with more decay and frequency ext.

I cannot see why two Klipsch r10s won’t achieve a smiley face yet I do agree there are better subs.

Crazy does want the wireless in his setup so why not go with 2 to start and add two more later for a total of 4 wireless
:p

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Also consider that when mixing subs, you’ll be limited by the weaker sub since it will run out of useable output before the more capable one. The infinity is probably the more capable of the two(didn’t look yet) but since it will be a great deal farther away, it might end up being weaker. Maybe even worse than that is you’ll likely have a bunch of phase issues since they’re almost certainly tuned differently. In short, yes you can mix subs but you can end up making things worse if you don’t integrate them properly.
Didn’t you just get a speedwoofer? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
Yes was going to get a speedwoofer but decided to go with same brand so got the r10swi, plus the fact it was 200 off played a roll. No way I'd pay 449 for it but 250 wasn't bad, might just get another r10swi , im kind of torn between getting a second sub or a Klipsch rp250c center . Right now my living room is only 15x12, an the sub if turned up will over power the rp280fs the subs only 150 watts but my receiver is only 70 watts a channel, If I get the center Ill only need surrounds to have 5.1 , but the way things are now no room for surrounds.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Great bass without the ability to hear intelligent dialogue is not a great idea by any means. I would get the centre and surrounds before a second or more subs!

5.1 should be considered a minimum for HT. Once your satellites are in place mess with sub placement and additional ones. Maybe you will find two is more solid without boosting the sub volume!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You chose the same brand because you like the aesthetics of matching Klipsch colored cones or something? No other reason to use same brand of sub as speaker. Comparing wattage between a sub and speaker is meaningless.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes was going to get a speedwoofer but decided to go with same brand so got the r10swi, plus the fact it was 200 off played a roll. No way I'd pay 449 for it but 250 wasn't bad, might just get another r10swi , im kind of torn between getting a second sub or a Klipsch rp250c center . Right now my living room is only 15x12, an the sub if turned up will over power the rp280fs the subs only 150 watts but my receiver is only 70 watts a channel, If I get the center Ill only need surrounds to have 5.1 , but the way things are now no room for surrounds.
Other then looks same brand as rest of speakers doesnt matter at all for a sub.
A center is very nice to have for movies/tv. And might five you time to xonsider what you want to do with sub later, get another of the same or save up a while and get something substantial.
Bass takes more power to get the same dB so a sub with 150w is probably «weaker» then the other speakers with a sensible crossover set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
You chose the same brand because you like the aesthetics of matching Klipsch colored cones or something? No other reason to use same brand of sub as speaker. Comparing wattage between a sub and speaker is meaningless.
I thought about the wattage an size for the room ended up being just right by accident lol. Blended really well an sounds really good , was luck, was thinking if I didn't like it could send it back, thats why I bought from crutch field ,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, I really think the Speedwoofer would be heads and shoulders a better sub than Klipsch. I had two 10" Klipsch subs and will never buy another subwoofer from them again. They're known for their speakers, not their subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought about the wattage an size for the room ended up being just right by accident lol. Blended really well an sounds really good , was luck, was thinking if I didn't like it could send it back, thats why I bought from crutch field ,
Send it back. I'm serious. You can do waaaayyy better for a subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. Probably seems like we’re busting your balls. But we’re not. Just want to make sure you get the best return on investment. As HD said, matching sub to speaker brand isn’t necessary whatsoever. Most “speaker” builder tend to make subs as an afterthought to accompany their speakers anyway, so they usually perform as such. Also, the wattage thing shouldn’t be a concern either. Speaker sensitivity and overall design will determine performance, so don’t get stuck on those number too much.
IMO, choosing the speedwoofer over the klipsch(and probably infinity too) will be similar to going from no sub to one. There’s MUCH more to bass than boom, and the RSL is going to be more linear, and more tightly controlled than either of the other two. It’s probably the perfect sub/s for your room. No, I’m not interested in watching you spend money either, lol. But I’ve experienced budget subs, and can tell you from experience, just skip the low hanging fruit. The juice of better subs is worth the squeeze.
If you do get the center(which I think you should) you can still run 3.1 without surrounds. However, it probably wouldn’t be long until you addressed that too!!!! Lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Great bass without the ability to hear intelligent dialogue is not a great idea by any means.
This is true. However I doubt he’s getting “great” bass. Just more bass. IMO, and I believe @Pogre has mentioned this, clean linear distortion free bass can be turned up more(if that a desire) while allowing everything else to stay nice and clean too.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
This is true. However I doubt he’s getting “great” bass. Just more bass. IMO, and I believe @Pogre has mentioned this, clean linear distortion free bass can be turned up more(if that a desire) while allowing everything else to stay nice and clean too.
What I meant was choosing great bass over intelligent dialogue is the wrong direction not that his current sub is giving him the performance he ultimately was hoping for that’s the reason he should get a great centre and deal with the low end last!

Subs are great I went 15 years without one and bought what I wanted without a single regret however I would never juice it’s volume at the expense of directional sound or quality dialogue and I agree with your points!

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Ok. Probably seems like we’re busting your balls. But we’re not. Just want to make sure you get the best return on investment. As HD said, matching sub to speaker brand isn’t necessary whatsoever. Most “speaker” builder tend to make subs as an afterthought to accompany their speakers anyway, so they usually perform as such. Also, the wattage thing shouldn’t be a concern either. Speaker sensitivity and overall design will determine performance, so don’t get stuck on those number too much.
IMO, choosing the speedwoofer over the klipsch(and probably infinity too) will be similar to going from no sub to one. There’s MUCH more to bass than boom, and the RSL is going to be more linear, and more tightly controlled than either of the other two. It’s probably the perfect sub/s for your room. No, I’m not interested in watching you spend money either, lol. But I’ve experienced budget subs, and can tell you from experience, just skip the low hanging fruit. The juice of better subs is worth the squeeze.
If you do get the center(which I think you should) you can still run 3.1 without surrounds. However, it probably wouldn’t be long until you addressed that too!!!! Lol.
Busting balls thats a joke you definitely didn't grow up with my friends, I think you guys are just a little passionate about subs:oops:just a little :DThink Ill send the klipsch back an get the speedwoofer, might take a few, but Ill see what the differance is besides the price. I sold my sword for 325 so it wont be so bad on the wallet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis