Status
Not open for further replies.
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Matt paid 2,200, then Matt sold them for 900 to Alex because he needs the scratch, and then Jerry offered Alex 2,000 for them and Alex sold them because he doesn't want a science project.

Is that right?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like Matt got boned. His decision to sell, though, I know. I lost track of how long he was waiting for the speakers.

Congrats to the monkey for making some scratch. I just hope that I'm still around by the time someone (whoever the owner at that time is) actually hears these things.

Matt34

Matt34

Matt paid 2,200, then Matt sold them for 900 to Alex because he needs the scratch, and then Jerry offered Alex 2,000 for them and Alex sold them because he doesn't want a science project.

Is that right?
About $2800 including the DCX and CS.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex, your last post went away, but I'd like to say something. I didn't mean that you or anyone else boned Matt (yeah, that won't get quoted... :)). More just the events. He didn't actually get boned, I know. Just lost a bit of money on an investment. My wording was a more harsh than it was intended to be.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Who is going to measure their performance?

Chris: I almost didn't say anything, but, I can't help it.... Get rid of those plastic binding posts. They look like f**k. I know they work just as well, but, with a quad-amp active system I bet a lot of people will be looking back there.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Chris: I almost didn't say anything, but, I can't help it.... Get rid of those plastic binding posts. They look like f**k. I know they work just as well, but, with a quad-amp active system I bet a lot of people will be looking back there.
Gah! What evil thing did I do to you that you are trying to get Chris to open the speakers up again? ;)

They are at a good place. they just need amps and the active crossover system programmed (and the stands completed, but that's secondary) and I can actually get them and use them.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, Karma will be paying a visit ................for sure
Thanks, punk. Now I have this audio track in my head of Alex's voice saying, "Oh, Karma. Karma!"

Oh, well. I was going to start drinking anyway...

:D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I really like Chris but I have 10 bucks saying these speakers are never finished or at least, never in the hands of anyone else.
It is kind of like commodity trading. You all have been selling speakers that no one has actually taken possession of yet.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I really like Chris but I have 10 bucks saying these speakers are never finished or at least, never in the hands of anyone else.
Only 10? :D

Thousands of years from now, archaeologists will be arguing over whether or not these speakers ever actually existed. :p

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
From my discussions with Chris: the speakers themselves are complete. It looks like the next delay will be me coming up with funds for the amplifiers. The intent being to program the behringers and amplifiers together and create a "turn-key" speaker system.

Chris offered, and it is my preference as I would at least like to start from what the builder himself determines is the best performance these speakers are capable of. If I make changes later for my own tastes, at least I've first heard Chris's settings (which, I expect, will only need adjustment to accomidate the room).

So by Dec 22, 2012 (the day after the end of the world per the "end is nigh" crowd)? :p

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Who is going to measure their performance?

But the plastic ones are often easier to grip for tightening than the metal ones, especially the polished metal ones.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So by Dec 22, 2012 (the day after the end of the world per the "end is nigh" crowd)? :p
Yeah, I have a lot of stuff planned for that day. Mostly work-related stuff. :D

Again, congrats, Jerry. I know that I'm not the only one looking forward to your review of these once you've had a chance to set them up and enjoy them.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
3. Psycho analyzing a DCX 2496 is no longer a climb up Mount Improbable
I'm sure it's already been answered, but would someone mind obliging me here: Didn't WmAx already program the DCX? Is it only the bottom octave (last xover) that must be tweaked for the room in question? How many DCXs are required for two 4-way speakers? I know, I know, I'm sure it's been answered already, but I'd appreciate the answers. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sure it's already been answered, but would someone mind obliging me here: Didn't WmAx already program the DCX? Is it only the bottom octave (last xover) that must be tweaked for the room in question? How many DCXs are required for two 4-way speakers? I know, I know, I'm sure it's been answered already, but I'd appreciate the answers. :)
Here's the question and answers again ... I think.

Chris! That is some speaker. Amazing build! I can only imagine how good it will sound once the programing has been tweaked for the listening space.

From the DCX the mid bass and bass will have one eq program applied to the band. The the CX will split mid bass and bass to be seperately amplified (to the best of what I read, the CX is purely a crossover). How is using the CX better than having a passive crossover (other than the obvious one regarding doing the processing before or after the amplification)?

To be truly 4 way active, would'nt using 2x DCX2496 been a more appropriate? So it would be 1x DCX per side with 4 outs for each band getting their individual programs before being amplified?
The CX was chosen to cut my cost, you are correct that it would have been ideal to use two DCX, though I'm not sure how big of audiable difference it would have made compared to what's being used. .
There is no need for an additional DCX.

You want to use 4th order L-R filters to separate the Mid-bass range anyway.

It is certainly still active as well.

A DCX can handle 3 channels per speaker and then you can use the CX to finish off the break down. Why spend 200 bucks more for no benefit? The single DCX has plenty of filters to handle every adjustment you'd likely want to make.
I was going to end up owning a programmed DCX 2496 and another crossover. I would still have to know how to use it. For a guy who is on his first rec'r ever, using a DCX just couldn't be easy. Not impossible, just improbable. I made it this far without knowing what a crossover was but that piece of equipment and REW aren't a cake walk.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
If I start walking funny: It's cause I just bought the 4 amps it will take to power these 2 speakers.

Though I believe I got a good deal on them, they were still expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis