Status
Not open for further replies.
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
We all know that these speakers will not blend with his surrounds, so he should pay to ship the surrounds to someone who could use them :rolleyes: and that will make up for him going all "great train robbery" on Jamie. :D
I know that the sun shines even on a monkey's azz, but have you guys seen this post today?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=648657&postcount=43
Yep:D You'd think that since his relatives were first in space, first to take many major drugs; he would just be content, but no he has to enter contests just to show off:rolleyes:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Chris! That is some speaker. Amazing build! I can only imagine how good it will sound once the programing has been tweaked for the listening space.

I did consider using a passive xover circuit so that the mid and tweeter could be on the same amplifier.
From the DCX the mid bass and bass will have one eq program applied to the band. The the CX will split mid bass and bass to be seperately amplified (to the best of what I read, the CX is purely a crossover). How is using the CX better than having a passive crossover (other than the obvious one regarding doing the processing before or after the amplification)?

To be truly 4 way active, would'nt using 2x DCX2496 been a more appropriate? So it would be 1x DCX per side with 4 outs for each band getting their individual programs before being amplified?

Matt34

Matt34

Chris! That is some speaker. Amazing build! I can only imagine how good it will sound once the programing has been tweaked for the listening space.

From the DCX the mid bass and bass will have one eq program applied to the band. The the CX will split mid bass and bass to be seperately amplified (to the best of what I read, the CX is purely a crossover). How is using the CX better than having a passive crossover (other than the obvious one regarding doing the processing before or after the amplification)?

To be truly 4 way active, would'nt using 2x DCX2496 been a more appropriate? So it would be 1x DCX per side with 4 outs for each band getting their individual programs before being amplified?
The CX was chosen to cut my cost, you are correct that it would have been ideal to use two DCX, though I'm not sure how big of audiable difference it would have made compared to what's being used. .

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know that the sun shines even on a monkey's azz, but have you guys seen this post today?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=648657&postcount=43
I announced that last week.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646451&postcount=445

If I got it any further up into Jamie we might have to move to Vermont and get married.

Clearly he's made a deal with Satan.
Nothing is what it seems. Matt could easily have these back.
Anybody else is perfectly welcome to make an offer ... except Jamie. :p :D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice looking speaker WmAx...

****Edit**** I found the post with the driver setup...

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

I announced that last week.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=646451&postcount=445

If I got it any further up into Jamie we might have to move to Vermont and get married.

Nothing is what it seems. Matt could easily have these back.
Anybody else is perfectly welcome to make an offer ... except Jamie. :p :D
I appreciate it Alex but there is/was a very good reason I had to unload them and I'm just glad someone here was able to grab them....it's nice to see that the 13-14 months of waiting looks to be very well worth it.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Chris,

Can I ask you two questions about the design choice?

I seem to recall you mentioning in the past a fondness for B&W 800-802s based to a good extent on the fact that the voice-range comes all from a single cone. It looks like that range may be split on these speakers between the upper-mid and mid-bass. I've no doubt that it's something that you've addressed, but I'd be really interested to know in what way.

Also, and I hope I'm not confusing you with another poster, I believe you have voiced a negative opinion of having two drivers work the same frequency range, citing concerns over comb filtering. How was that dealt with in this design?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I will give you what you paid for them today but you have to bring them to my house.....:D
I may have to actually get 'em up and running to see what they will bring in as bona fide 802 killers ... 802 murderers ... 802 defilers ;) :p

:eek: THE 802 DESTROYER !!! :eek:

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

There is no need for an additional DCX.

You want to use 4th order L-R filters to separate the Mid-bass range anyway.

It is certainly still active as well.

A DCX can handle 3 channels per speaker and then you can use the CX to finish off the break down. Why spend 200 bucks more for no benefit? The single DCX has plenty of filters to handle every adjustment you'd likely want to make.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Matt's Speakers Sold to JerryLove

It's official now that I have the money orders in hand.

Best regards,
-Alex

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
It's official now that I have the money orders in hand.

Best regards,
-Alex
Huh? What? Are you insane!!? I've been busy the last couple of days and have not been around. Why did you sell them?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh? What? Are you insane!!? I've been busy the last couple of days and have not been around. Why did you sell them?
1. Jerry offered me $2,000 and let me keep my clothes on.

2. I now don't need to spend another $2,000 on additional gear to run them.

3. Psycho analyzing a DCX 2496 is no longer a climb up Mount Improbable.

4. I'm never going to Hurt like that again ... LOL !!! :D

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
It is kind of like commodity trading. You all have been selling speakers that no one has actually taken possession of yet.

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I really love Chris's sense of over-engineering (and I mean that in the best way).

I absolutely want to hear what results he can get.

I absolutely want the best pair of speakers I can afford.

I have the time and had the money (poor now) to bribe the monkey. In the end, I would say that Alex was more of a pragmatist than I am. I think that says more good about him than about me.

I'm very excited, and very happy to be the new owner of these (hopefully soon finished) speakers. I can't wait to hear them :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis