Status
Not open for further replies.
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately, Alex's speakers are not a reflection of what my main units sound like. Alex's speakers have limited dispersion and will be used in a suboptimal acoustic space(room). They were designed for the space they are to be used within(Matt was going to use them in a near identical space). However, they will sound extraordinary RELATIVE to most monopolar speakers used in these conditions.
The way I see it, since you build them they have to be extraordinary speakers.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The way I see it, since you build them they have to be extraordinary speakers.
Well, the drivers will all be used well within their pistonic bandwidths(exception being the ribbon tweeter of course), and there will be little to no audible coloration due to resonance. The dynamic range capability will be incredible, due to the dual 6.5" midbasses and the 8" W7 woofer per cabinet. Dispersion will be superior to most speakers. But they still have compromises to work close to a back wall in a small room like Alex will be using. This means there can be no rear plane sound radiation, and he needs to use wideband acoustical absorber panels on the rear walls, and preferablly in other parts of the room as well, combined with diffusors on the rear part of the side walls, optimally.

-Chris

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe one day I'll have a chance to check out Alex's speakers, I would really enjoy that.
We'll work something out. :)

This means there can be no rear plane sound radiation, and he needs to use wideband acoustical absorber panels on the rear walls, and preferablly in other parts of the room as well, combined with diffusors on the rear part of the side walls, optimally.
Translator !!! :D

I remember you asking about the room and me counting up the pieces of 703 that I own. Seems like you were paying more attention than I was. That's a bridge I plan to run off when I get to it. :eek:

Mika75

Mika75

Audioholic
Questions for u Chris :D

*First, what percentage of the listening experience does ur main room, treated to the extent it has been, have an affect on the final sound ?

*& Second, in an earlier post u mentioned running subs in stereo, there seems to be differing opinions on which way is best. I too am confused as the only thing that I have found to be true is summed sub bass is much louder! :eek:

Tom Nousaine's investigations found mono to perform better than stereo, and that music listeners weren't able to detect differences below 80Hz even when using program material that highlighted stereo.. ur thoughts :confused:

www.nousaine.com / Stereo Bass: True or False?.pdf 2.7mb

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

*First, what percentage of the listening experience does ur main room, treated to the extent it has been, have an affect on the final sound ?

*& Second, in an earlier post u mentioned running subs in stereo, there seems to be differing opinions on which way is best. I too am confused as the only thing that I have found to be true is summed sub bass is much louder! :eek:

Tom Nousaine's investigations found mono to perform better than stereo, and that music listeners weren't able to detect differences below 80Hz even when using program material that highlighted stereo.. ur thoughts :confused:

www.nousaine.com / Stereo Bass: True or False?.pdf 2.7mb
I find it interesting, but does the corner of the room always sound the best? I've found it to be different in many places. I thought the crawl test was the best method of sub placement.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai

Probably 50%, at least. It is as critical as the speakers.
Classical music can have substantial stereo bass. Other than that, studio music almost always has mono bass, and the bass will be in effect mono even on stereo subwoofers in this case.

My system easily runs everything stereo - so why would I force a summed mono signal?

-Chris

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Probably 50%, at least. It is as critical as the speakers.

Classical music can have substantial stereo bass. Other than that, studio music almost always has mono bass, and the bass will be in effect mono even on stereo subwoofers in this case.

My system easily runs everything stereo - so why would I force a summed mono signal?

-Chris
Not sure, but, bass wavelengths are very long, 30Hz is like almost 40ft. So when people say its 'non-directional,' there isn't some cutoff where the laws of physics change, it's just we can't really tell.

In practice though, subwoofers are semi-directional because of room distortion and harmonics.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure, but, bass wavelengths are very long, 30Hz is like almost 40ft. So when people say its 'non-directional,' there isn't some cutoff where the laws of physics change, it's just we can't really tell.

In practice though, subwoofers are semi-directional because of room distortion and harmonics.
Yeah but most people don't talk like engineers so saying it's non-directional is more helpful for the masses(they'd just be confused by the statement). Different rooms, and people have different sensitivities.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris, is he the guy that used to be with McIntosh (sp) or am I thinking of somebody else?
Yes, this Roger Russel; retired long time McIntosh employee. Was director of acoustic research at McIntosh Labs for 25 years, and senior engineer at Sonotone before that.

-Chris

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Chris,

What is the expected F3 for Matt's speakers?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Chris,

What is the expected F3 for Matt's speakers?
35Hz with considerable output ability, and by that, I mean knock stuff off you shelves and rattle your windows. With room gain typical, around 30Hz is probable actual F3. It is sealed alignment. It can go lower, but you will start to get limited clean output as you extend the low frequency response. It can be set to do 25Hz anechoic (20Hz in room) easily; but you get lowered dynamic range capability.

-Chris

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I hate you monkey.
Did I mention how beautiful the finish was on these? :D

Matt insisted on keeping the front baffle original so Chris painstakingly masked it off while applying an exotic wood veneer to the rest of the speaker that most cabinet builders would have trouble matching. The front has a black pin stripe framing the baffle and transitioning the warm wood to the George Jetson Silver.

Oh Jamie, it's a f^%&ing work of art! :)

How do you like me now? :p

Chris, how about just one pic to send Jamie over the edge? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis