Status
Not open for further replies.
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Edit: Rick, I can only imagine your shame when your wife catches you surfing the gayest sites on the web. I myself have been asked, "Why are you looking at men?" :eek: I've also been asked, "Why are you looking at other women?" :confused: I'm thinking she should know the answer to at least one of those questions.

I missed my chance to meet you and check out those speakers of yours but it will get done. Those guys in Florida and Oregon think they're cool but we'll show them ... :mad: I also wanted to make an effort to at least contact gmichael as he was good enough to extend an invitation for me to visit.
What do mean? That's funny stuff. ( not that there's anything wrong with that)
I showed my wife, she was laughing as much as I was.:p

All kidding aside; looks like you had a really good speaker experience with Chris.
Even though you didn't pick them up this time. That means you get to go back again!

Oh, and good luck with your GF. Do you need help looking for a ring?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
What do mean? That's funny stuff. ( not that there's anything wrong with that)
I showed my wife, she was laughing as much as I was.:p

All kidding aside; looks like you had a really good speaker experience with Chris.
Even though you didn't pick them up this time. That means you get to go back again!

Oh, and good luck with your GF. Do you need help looking for a ring?
Rickster, see post #20, lol.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
My Wife was sitting here with me when I clicked on this she started to laugh out loud then asked who is that ? I said Alex of course and then proceeded to write about us getting together with Rick and she got up , looked at me with some smile/grin/wthello are you doing and then she left the room, L O L .:eek:
Your wife sounds like a smart woman; and knows better than to ever meet up with people on the interweb.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
lsiberian, eat your heart out dude. This is in fact audio nirvana and no you can't go. :D

She's not sure why she's pissed but she knows I was being sneaky and that is evidently frowned upon. :confused:
I bet it's great sound. I've for the time being adopted his approaches to enclosure design. It would be a dream to hear his setup.

Though I imagine TLS Guy's setup would be amazing too.

Get something nice. Look at a certified diamond. Life is always better with a good woman. Laundry, food, and the cleanness of the house all benefit from a good lady.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you need help looking for a ring?
I think it would be cheaper to make her live with lsiberian for a month. After all the cooking and cleaning she'd be thrilled to be with somebody who just wants to **** her. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think it would be cheaper to make her live with lsiberian for a month. After all the cooking and cleaning she'd be thrilled to be with somebody who just wants to **** her. :D
lmao. I got it made, but my wife thinks I can't clean, cook or do laundry right.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I will be replacing the main rig with a newly designed one in the near future. The main upgrades for the new system: (1) It is dual polar possible - it will be able to operate as a monopolar or omnipolar system, acoustically, allowing me to change modes for different purposes (monitoring vs. listening). (2)Also, it will have extreme dynamic range capability, employing a 15" TC Sounds AXIS per channel(bass), a JL Audio W7 8" per channel(mid-bass), 2x Infnity MRS drivers per channel(same as in the new Infinity Prelude flagship speakers) and two planar super wide dispersion tweeters per channel. The dual mids and dual tweeters are not on the same baffle; one of each tweeter and mid is on the front and back of the speaker. In the end, 2800-3000 watts RMS per STEREO channel will be available via 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits and multiple high quality pro amps.

-Chris
Chris, its nice to see some pics of your setup finally, not so sure why you have been so shy about them so long, but looks like a great setup...

I sure hope you decide to keep us posted on your adventure throughout your build... I would love to see what the constraint layers application looks like... The drivers you have chosen will be some serious top performers to be certain... What planar ribbons have you decided on...?
Salk uses the Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon Tweeter, and I have heard them, they are fantastic, incredibly delicate and extremely revealing...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris, its nice to see some pics of your setup finally, not so sure why you have been so shy about them so long, but looks like a great setup...

I sure hope you decide to keep us posted on your adventure throughout your build... I would love to see what the constraint layers application looks like... The drivers you have chosen will be some serious top performers to be certain... What planar ribbons have you decided on...?
Salk uses the Aurum Cantus G2 Ribbon Tweeter, and I have heard them, they are fantastic, incredibly delicate and extremely revealing...
Dispersion is far too limited on that tweeter for my application; the limited dispersion would severely reduce my sound quality target. I will be using HiVi RTI naked elements(no faceplates; these negatively effect the dispersion). These have nearly perfect dispersion, +/- 75 degrees even to 18kHz.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I bet it's great sound. I've for the time being adopted his approaches to enclosure design. It would be a dream to hear his setup.

Though I imagine TLS Guy's setup would be amazing too.

Get something nice. Look at a certified diamond. Life is always better with a good woman. Laundry, food, and the cleanness of the house all benefit from a good lady.
Let's just say that with the right dispersion pattern, ultra low resonance coloration(s) and correct room acoustics, that you no longer 'hear' speakers, but instead, it is as if you only hear the recording and it's many layers; with it being spread in front of you as a real-time event. With very good to excellent quality produced recordings (CD or LP, etc.), it sounds as if you are experiencing a real acoustic phenomenon in every way; no hint or clue that it is speakers you are listening to, nor any clue you are listening in a limited size acoustic space(room). With classical, you are transported to a performance hall. With certain studio produced music, you are transported to a surreal landscape. So few speakers can pull this off. As such, most people, and this included experienced audiophiles that have tried out many systems costing tens of thousands dollars each, will have ever heard such a level of perceived sound reproduction.

If you want to read an account of an AH member with more extensive experience with high quality speakers than Alex, refer to Jaxvon's review of his visit to me in the review forum. His account is also more detailed in description, and like Alex's, it has no audiophile terms of fluffiness.

-Chris

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want to read an account of an AH member with more extensive experience with high quality speakers than Alex ...

------------------------------------------

His account is also more detailed in description ...
Jaxvon's write up does smoke mine. The first time I read it I knew much less than now but there is no way replace the 'seeing is believing' aspect of an experience. One of the big draws for me on this deal was actually meeting Chris. He maybe doesn't really believe that he enjoys celebrity status. Speakers are cool but never nearly as interesting as people. You would never think to spend time with a bad person because they had nice gear ... except for maybe MikeC. Man, that's a lot of subs. :D

Now we have a couple of other contenders in the WmAx speaker line up that many of us are interested in. Matt's speakers and the heavily modified Infinity computer rig are of major interest to many of us. Even if we're not prepared to whip out our routers and table saws, we like to look.

Chris, if you wanted to use this thread to post pic's of the progress on Matt's speakers, that would be cool. None of the other members have seen the backs all painted up with the binding posts and JL W7's installed not to mention the fronts without tape and possibly with the drivers installed and maybe with the grills on. I'm not trying to give you extra work ... really. :) I'm just letting you know that these guys would love it. Soooooo .... ;)

Have a great Columbus Day. :)

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Jaxvon's write up does smoke mine. The first time I read it I knew much less than now but there is no way replace the 'seeing is believing' aspect of an experience. One of the big draws for me on this deal was actually meeting Chris. He maybe doesn't really believe that he enjoys celebrity status. Speakers are cool but never nearly as interesting as people. You would never think to spend time with a bad person because they had nice gear ... except for maybe MikeC. Man, that's a lot of subs. :D

Now we have a couple of other contenders in the WmAx speaker line up that many of us are interested in. Matt's speakers and the heavily modified Infinity computer rig are of major interest to many of us. Even if we're not prepared to whip out our routers and table saws, we like to look.

Chris, if you wanted to use this thread to post pic's of the progress on Matt's speakers, that would be cool. None of the other members have seen the backs all painted up with the binding posts and JL W7's installed not to mention the fronts without tape and possibly with the drivers installed and maybe with the grills on. I'm not trying to give you extra work ... really. :) I'm just letting you know that these guys would love it. Soooooo .... ;)

Have a great Columbus Day. :)
I'm sure he's very aware that he's a celebrity on these forums. I'd rank him and TLS Guy as our top contributors. But I have my biases.

They are the primary reasons I stick around here. The possibility of gleaning their knowledge keeps me coming back. That and of course your sense of humor. :D

I still remember when LOTR tried to love up Wmax though. I though about spewing.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Dispersion is far too limited on that tweeter for my application; the limited dispersion would severely reduce my sound quality target. I will be using HiVi RTI naked elements(no faceplates; these negatively effect the dispersion). These have nearly perfect dispersion, +/- 75 degrees even to 18kHz.

-Chris
I'm very intrigued by that dispersion. 75 degrees sounds like a dream.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-401

If that's the tweeter I may have to scrounge up some cash.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Now that's a good idea! If Chris is so inclined.

To see this done in steps as it goes along would be really something.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm very intrigued by that dispersion. 75 degrees sounds like a dream.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-401

If that's the tweeter I may have to scrounge up some cash.
That is the tweeter (Just discard the faceplate). It must be crossed steeply at 4.8khz or higher. Also, you must go through several units and measure them to get good ones. IME, 1 out of 3 is good enough to use. Seriously. Nearly 2 out of 3 have excessive distortion problems making them unsuitable. Not very good quality control on that product. I had to go through 10 of these things to get 4 good ones to use on randyb's project!

-Chris

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That is the tweeter (Just discard the faceplate). It must be crossed steeply at 4.8khz or higher. Also, you must go through several units and measure them to get good ones. IME, 1 out of 3 is good enough to use. Seriously. Nearly 2 out of 3 have excessive distortion problems making them unsuitable. Not very good quality control on that product. I had to go through 10 of these things to get 4 good ones to use on randyb's project!

-Chris
Yeah Andrew was telling me that too. Not sure what midrange driver I'd use with them yet. but I'll figure something out.

I was wondering if using a full range driver and crossing it at 7khz on the top and around 400hz on the bottom might work. Then I could use a woofer for the next region in a seperate enclosure.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
you must go through several units and measure them to get good ones.
I imagine that this is done with the calibrated Behringer mic and mixer with REW run on a laptop in a room with pretty serious sound absorption estimating an anechoic chamber. My point is that this is not for the feint of heart or the ill equipped. Determining which units are good is easily beyond the means of most.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I will be frank in letting people know I have not been happy with Chris's drawn out schedule of completion; however the recent pictures he sent of the cabinet progress are awesome! I can only hope he continues with his recent work to completion as it has been a long time coming and hopefully worth the wait.:)

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Chris, Feel free to post the pictures of the cabinet progress if you so desire.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Holy shiznit! Do my eyes deceive me, or does it say that there is concrete in these cabinets?!?! :eek:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Holy shiznit! Do my eyes deceive me, or does it say that there is concrete in these cabinets?!?! :eek:

Concrete is actually an excellent inner layer for a speaker. Problem is that it's heavy. I much prefer something I can lift.

Don't forget the steel and Oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis