Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I know ...is there such a difference in sound?or cable build quality
There is no difference in sound for a functioning cable, but the cable build quality certainly varies and can cause a fault to develop.

Is this the optical cable you found? Inexpensive, but appears to be fairly stiff and not easily bendable, which might be an issue for you. Personally I would choose an optical cable without that outer fabric shell as it would easier to route the cable and once connected you won't touch it again.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I just sent the picture for nothing
Why do you think that? Posting a link to the cable instead of just a picture is more useful, though :)

The cable might very well work well for you in your setup and I just posted my preference for a more easily bendable optical cable.

I

Ivkyy1

Junior Audioholic
I understood haha, but still I found the first picture and sent it..and thank you for answers

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Trell is on to something there about the “flex” in the Toslink optical cables…

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Trell is on to something there about the “flex” in the Toslink optical cables…
Toslink cables are rather fragile. If you sharply bend such typical cable, you will most probably break it beyond future usefulness.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't even know there were tech flex casings on optical cables....none of mine have that....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Toslink cables are rather fragile. If you sharply bend such typical cable, you will most probably break it beyond future usefulness.
Ha!
My phone glitched when I was posting that and apparently it lost about two thirds of the info. Oh well. *shrugs.
But yes, that was the gist of where that post was supposed to go. Toslink: fragile. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW in many years of using optical cables I've yet to mangle one :) Then again I like cable slack so I can move things around some without worrying about stuff like that, too....but stuffing into/around a sharp corner not a good plan. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Another issue for TosLink is coiling the excess too tightly- that causes the intensity of the light to decrease. Had intermittent audio loss and after increasing the diameter of the coil, it never happened again. The ends were fully inserted and locked before and after.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
They are for sure fairly fragile, but overly stiff optical cables for usage where it is protected (like between a TV and a AVR) is not that convenient either for routing. I don't know whether or not the cable OP linked to is very stiff, though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are for sure fairly fragile, but overly stiff optical cables for usage where it is protected (like between a TV and a AVR) is not that convenient either for routing. I don't know whether or not the cable OP linked to is very stiff, though.
Yeah the tech flex may be fairly flexible. I bought some longish USB C cables that have that kind of outer casing, they're a little stiffer but not so bad as some of the heavy HDMI tech flex covered cables I've had (which I've generally gotten rid of).

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
So let's say someone bought into the (cough-cough) snake oil 15+ years ago and purchased some Monster Cable "bi-wire" cable. Should said person leave it in place, or replace it with some simple cable? Said person has a leftover spool of Monoprice Origin Series 12AWG 2-Conductor from when I wired up my outdoor speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So let's say someone bought into the (cough-cough) snake oil 15+ years ago and purchased some Monster Cable "bi-wire" cable. Should said person leave it in place, or replace it with some simple cable? Said person has a leftover spool of Monoprice Origin Series 12AWG 2-Conductor from when I wired up my outdoor speakers.
If it works, leave it.

(don't let any nagging doubts force you to change it)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If it works, leave it.

(don't let any nagging doubts force you to change it)
If it is corroding or possible damaged (pets chewing, pinched by furniture or bending hard around a corner) then you would have a case to replace it. Otherwise, as long as it’s functional, you are fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As Van would say, It's Too Late to Stop Now. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis