Wireless RF Remote Control Extender Review

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I am getting a few weeks also. You do need the AAA battery in to charge it right? Is yours dead?

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
The other batteries are brand new.

I'll try starting over with a brand new batch.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
Tsunamii said:
I am getting a few weeks also. You do need the AAA battery in to charge it right? Is yours dead?
Ahhh, are saying you can't charge one at a time? Like most chargers? A parallel thing? and you need both in at the same time?

That might be it.....dumbass I am.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
No I think you need a standard AAA battery in the AAA slot and one of the rechargeable ones in the small slot. I don't think the instructions every implicitly said but I think that is the deal.
Does anyone else here know for certain?

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
doesn't the bottom of the unit say DO NOT USE NORMAL AAA batteries?

I must look at the instructions again if I can find them

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Newfmp3... thanks for that observation, It does indeed, I never saw that. So I guess I am confused as to why there is a larger AAA size battery slot there. If it is for charging the other rechargeable that comes with the device why is it not the same size??? Now I am confused also. Does anyone have any insight to this???
Again... poor documentation.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
Yeah, I'm confused as well. I had bought an extra transmitter with mine, so I thought it was convenient to have two slots in the recharger. That's what I thought it was for, incase you have two. But why 2 different sizes? Can you use NiMH batteriers in there as well? don't know, never tried.

instructions are way too brief, almost like they were an after thought.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Ok, I talked to Bob and he said that the slot is for a rechargeable AAA battery if your remote uses them. It sounds like it was left over from a previous design and left in encase you needed an extra place to recharge your regular remote rechargeable.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I'm still getting like 2 days out of the remotes before I got to recharge.

I'm going to contact them...

B

bald

Audiophyte
Tsunamii said:
Weird though there is a dead spot in my living room. Only a few feet from the base and for some reason in this one spot it will not work. I can use it from the backyard but not this one place only a few feet away. Weird.
I have the exact same experience. Usually I'm 20+ feet or an entire floor away from the receiver and the device works great. But when I sit on my couch to watch my projector, I'm about 4-5 feet from the receiver, and it really struggles to get the signals through correctly. Pretty annoying and I can't seem to find a position/solution that works.

bald

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
that is weird.

Anyways, I can't say I'm impressed with their quickness of getting back to me on my problem....been a week now, and a few emails.

[Edit: Congratulations on being the 100,000th post on the Audioholics forums! - Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aweinman

Audiophyte
ANyone know where to get this in Canada. Or delivered to Canada at a reasonable rate?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Support for Harmony 688 now available!

Greetings,

I have been staying in contact with Next Generation for a couple of months and have found that a phone call works a lot better than email.

He now supports the Harmony 688 and all I have to say is WOW!

All my AV equipment is behind me in a credenza so line of sight was not working for me.

Two minutes to set up and it works like a dream from upstairs or downstairs.

It has two batteries so you can charge one while using the other. Iget about three weeks out of them and I use it every day.

I highly recommend you use Energizer Rechargables 2300Mah with the MH-C401FS charger (www.mahaenergy.com. No memory issues and complete diagnostics for your batteries.

I think you can find more info on the batteries and charger shootout on one of the camera review sites.

My thanks go to Next Generation for providing support for the newer remotes and providing an excellent product. It even controls the lights and my hurricane shutters.

Last edited:
J

jcweiser

Audiophyte
harmony 688

Hello,
I'm have the same problem with the extender working with my harmony 688 remote. I must have gotten an old unit, bought it from ubid. My question is what part was upgraded in newest version, the base station or the battery sleeve?

W

westcott

Audioholic General
jcweiser said:
Hello,
My question is what part was upgraded in newest version, the base station or the battery sleeve?
I would just give them a call and see what it would take to get you 100% operational. It is such a cost effective solution, paying full retail is well worth the return on your investment.

J

jcweiser

Audiophyte
westcott said:
I would just give them a call and see what it would take to get you 100% operational. It is such a cost effective solution, paying full retail is well worth the return on your investment.
Ok I'll admit it I'm a cheap Bas***d. Bob email me back this morning and I gave him a call. It looks like the battery sleeve is what is needed. He stated the yellow battery sleeves are the old version that don't work with harmony 688 remote. The new updated battery sleeve that work with the harmony remotes are silver and are the ones available on partsexpress.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
jcweiser said:
Ok I'll admit it I'm a cheap Bas***d. Bob email me back this morning and I gave him a call. It looks like the battery sleeve is what is needed. He stated the yellow battery sleeves are the old version that don't work with harmony 688 remote. The new updated battery sleeve that work with the harmony remotes are silver and are the ones available on partsexpress.

Cool I got two silver ones. I was wondering the difference between colors

I returned my other unit that was having battery issues. it also was the yellow transmitter.

Bad news, darn battery is still only lasting a few days. I got good energizer nimh batteries

My Yamaha remote is the type that with every single button press, the darn backlight comes on and you can't change it...I emailed Yamaha about it.

bottom line, guess I need to get rid of remote. I guess there' something about these 2/3 size batteries and this remote that just doesn't mix.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
newfmp3 said:
that is weird.

Anyways, I can't say I'm impressed with their quickness of getting back to me on my problem....been a week now, and a few emails.

[Edit: Congratulations on being the 100,000th post on the Audioholics forums! - Admin]
Wow, do I win anything !!! I just seen this.

Guess not...I never win anything :(

just play'n

Last edited by a moderator:
N

newfmp3

Audioholic
Just an update on my situation with this battery problem.

I have another unit now. Silver transmitters. And sure enough, I got the same annoying problem. the 2/3 size batteries are only lasting a few days.

Part of it must be the yamaha remote, and it's light that comes on with every press of a button.

But ,I do have other remotes, and the same thing happens with them, just not to the same degree.

I'm going to ditch this thing as soon as harmony releases the RF 880. Assuming the price isn't too insane. Or maybe I'll get another URC remote.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis