Wireless RF Remote Control Extender Review

B

bald

Audiophyte
Tsunamii said:
Triple eyes are back in stock!!
where? Do you have a PE part number? I did a quick search on partsexpress for 'triple,' 'triple emitter,' etc, and came up empty. I've been waiting for months to get my hands on a triple headed emitter.

bald

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I got a VM on my ans machine from Bob who said he now had them in stock. This was after I had left a message because I was getting an invoice for a part that did not work. He said it was shipping to me and that was over 3 weeks ago and mnay voice mails back to him and a few email I have still not seen my replacement. So I can't be sure if what he said was true or not.
The product is a pretty good one. The service is some of the worse I have seen.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Aaah, finally! I ordered the triple-eye a month or so ago... just called and they are putting it in the mail for me today, and confirmed they just recieved their stock two days ago. Long wait, but worth it.

~Josh

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
wilkenboy said:
Aaah, finally! I ordered the triple-eye a month or so ago... just called and they are putting it in the mail for me today, and confirmed they just recieved their stock two days ago. Long wait, but worth it.

~Josh
let us know if you get it. I was told the same exact thing a Month ago and never received it. Emails and phone calls are pretty much ignored up to this point.
Not a "raving fan" of this experience. I have had this extender for over 9 months id say, and still my order is wrong and incomplete.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Open letter to next Generation Home Products Inc.

Bob, Another week has gone by and still no word from Next Generation. I guess I don’t understand the problem here. I just never get any word back and have never receive what you said you shipped (Triple Eye) on my answering machine over a month ago.
As a consumer I have to say I am very disappointed in the service that I have received throughout this purchase that started the end of last winter.
Inventory runs out and that is understandable. Refusal to respond to repeated phone calls and emails I can’t get my head around. I’m not sure what business model it fits in but it’s not working and I am not the only one asking what is going on with NGHP.
Is there anyway to get a resolution to the missing triple eye that was supposed to have been shipped months ago?

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Just FYI

The Triple Mouse Emitters are in stock (34), the part # is 180-825.

John

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Tsunamii said:
Bob, Another week has gone by and still no word from Next Generation. QUOTE]

The past week they were at the EHX expo, just FYI.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Thanks John. I had actualy received a triple eye like 8 months ago but it was broken so I have been waiting for a replacement. I guess that is not happening. Maybe ill make my way over to pe for that. Thanks mate

M

MTuckman

Audiophyte
So does that mean that this really nice yellow sleeved unit is somewhat useless? I was trying to use it with the remote that came with my Hauppauge PVR-150 card, and it doesn't seem to be compatible.

The other thing is, the AA slot in the base, I thought it was for the battery when it is in the sleeve. I take it that is not the case?

If I can get this to work OK, I think I could end up with a dozen friends that would want one! I am having trouble believing it works the way it does, but I am more than willing to take a chance...

Do the yellow sleeves work with any programmable remotes?

And does anyone know if NGHP will exchange the yellow sleeve for the silver ones?

Thanks!!!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
MTuckman said:
Do the yellow sleeves work with any programmable remotes?

And does anyone know if NGHP will exchange the yellow sleeve for the silver ones?

Thanks!!!
The 1 gen. RF transmitters (yellow ones) worked with 90% of the remotes out there. They did have some issues with the Harmony and Home Theater Master remotes. The new gen of RF transmitters (silver) seem to work will all but a few "special" remotes. It will work the Home Theater Master remotes and most of the Harmony remotes except for the 688 and prob. the new Xbox remote (I think). Give bob a call at 727/834-9400 to find out if you can exchange it.

John

M

MTuckman

Audiophyte
JohnA said:
The 1 gen. RF transmitters (yellow ones) worked with 90% of the remotes out there.
John
Thanks John...

You don't happen to know if the 1 gen. transmitters work with the Hauppauge remote control, do you? I have tried and have had absolutely zero success so far.:(

I decided to give both batteries an overnight charge before I give it a shot again.

And thanks - I'll give Bob a call tomorrow and see what they can do, if anything.

Mike

B

bg74

Audiophyte
Scientific Atlantic Problems

I am currently using the Harmoney 659 with the second generation transmitter. The remote works great with the transmitter on all the components EXCEPT the SA 3250 HD cable box. The Harmoney works fine in line of site with the 3250, but out of site the transmitter does not work.

Anyone have any success?

Thanks.

Ben

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
"The other thing is, the AA slot in the base, I thought it was for the battery when it is in the sleeve. I take it that is not the case?"

No its not. Per Bob in an old conversation I had with him it was "left over from an old design". It can be used to recharge a, AAA rechargeable but that’s it. The included instructions make no mention of it so don’t bother looking.

Cool gadget, with a few quirks and horrible customer service. So if you get it going good luck but don’t hold your breath on getting any fast answers.
After over 6 months at trying to get some resolution I have officially given up. Buyer beware.

B

bg74

Audiophyte
bg74 said:
I am currently using the Harmoney 659 with the second generation transmitter. The remote works great with the transmitter on all the components EXCEPT the SA 3250 HD cable box. The Harmoney works fine in line of site with the 3250, but out of site the transmitter does not work.

Anyone have any success?

Thanks.

Ben
I figured it out. I switched the base unit to A. Everything works perfect.

J

John Helton

Audiophyte
Just received my NGHP extender

I have been reading the posts here because I too feel the documentation does not explain much of how to use this unit. When I unpacked mine and set it up, it did not work anywhere outside the room where the A/V equipment was located. After looking the unit over, I found the battery charger (unexplained in the documentation) and thought that I'd put the battery in there for the better part of a day before trying this thing again. Secondly, there's no indicator on the charger to let you know when the battery has charged. I looked at it this morning and the lights are still blinking which leads me to believe the silly things still charging after 7-8 hours. I'll check it again when I go home tonight to see if the state of the light has changed any. I stuck the second rechargeable battery in the sleeve and put it in the other recharging slot in the base. I'll see if that does anything insofar as charging is concerned. I'm really looking forward to this working. Has anyone found out what the other two settings are for in the base. It says to set it to "B" but again no narrative as to how/when to use the other settings.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
when I got mine one of the batteries was also dead. I let mine charge over night

I am still having issues with the 2/3 batteries and my yamaha remote. I would steer very clear of this product if you have any remote that lights up at all. The one that is in my older xbox remote seems to last a little longer, a few weeks but then again I do not use it very often anyways. I had a NAD remote for a while, it too ate the 2/3 size batteries up quickly

I am getting about 2 days out of the 2/3 size batteries on the yammie remote. Pathetic. The other day, 4 fully charged batteries in my remote, I was painting in the area with the stereo on, and I was using the remote most of the day. After 4-6 hours, I could see the display on my remote starting to dim to the point where I couldn't see it. The 2/3 size batteries suck

are these 2/3 size batteries nimh? I'm wondering if I used them in another charger.....ya never know. Of course they could blow up.

J

John Helton

Audiophyte
Everything's working ok on my remote exterder unit. The 2/3 battery charged just fine and worked well in my remotes. I placed the second battery in the small charger slot for future use. The state of the blinking light on the transmitter never changed to show a charged battery. I guess there's no LED indicatoin for such so you'll just have to leave it in for a period of time and go from there.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone knows anything about those switch settings in the "spaceship" unit (other than the "B" setting)?

D

daflobber

Audiophyte
I just got my extender over the weekend and can't seem to get it working on my ReplayTV DVR remote. The base lights up when I push any of the buttons on my remote but it seems to have no effect on the DVR. When I have the switch set to "B" nothing happens at all even if I'm in the line of sight. When I have it on "A" the DVR will respond if I'm in line of sight but not if I'm out of the room. My guess is that the original remote signal is changing the channels and not the signal that is going through the base but why does nothing work when the switch is on the "B" setting? Shouldn't the original remote signal still be going through? Does this thing somehow disable the original signal and only send out the signal that the base can understand? If so why can't I get it to work outside of the line of sight? I've tried to postion the base in different places in front of the DVR and also tried to use the little wire attached to the remote sensor on my DVR. Any other ideas that I should be trying? I need to try it with my DVD play or something else to see if it's just my Replay. I left a message for "Bob" but after reading all the posts here I don't hold a lot of hope that he'll respond ro me. It seems to me that The problem is not from my remote to the base but a problem getting the signal from the base to the DVR. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

J

John Helton

Audiophyte
You sound like you're having the same experience I had when I first got mine. My problem turned out to be a low or no charge on the enclosed batteries. Once I let them charge in the "spaceship" for almost a day, I was able to transmit a signal to the base from other rooms. Prior to that I was only able to do "line-of-sight" singalling and have it recognized. Unlless you haven't already, give the batteries a chance to charge fully, then try it.

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
Is anyone using the Extender with the Harmony 880?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis