Will Probably Need to Replace the SR605 at This Point...Can Someone Help Choose a New AVR Based on Specific Needs?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Based on my discussion with Lovinthehd above and the fact that jiggling the cable a little brought the OSD back on, I am willing to bet my problem is that this damn HDMI cable is just too heavy and thick to secure a tight connection between the ports...:oops:

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Another possibility, maybe, is that an HDMI cable was not plugged in all the way. That happened to me once. Picture had weird problems. Cable was not the first thing I checked though since my Oppo 103 had a dvd spinner replaced and thought that was also going out, again. Somehow, I unplugged the cable, re-plugged and it worked.
You may be exactly right -- as I am beginning to discuss here, it may be the thick, heavy cable I'm using at this port and how it could be tugging at the connectors too much...the fact that I was able to see the OSD after playing with it for a bit tells me your suspicion regarding a loose plug-in may be getting closer to the answer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for this, William.

Here's my question about the new Dolby Surround approaches in these AVRs, though: Will the receiver remember what mode you applied for a two-channel signal the next time you play such a disc AUTOMATICALLY? In other words, right now when I view a DVD with a two-channel Dolby Digital soundtrack, my 605 automatically applies Pro Logic II to correctly steer the content into appropriate channels (dialogue in the center, et al)...but with these new models, you have to physically press a button on the remote when one of these signals begin playing, correct? If so, does the AVR REMEMBER to switch to the proper Dolby Surround mode you chose the next time a two-channel signal is detected?

My Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player is not running through this old receiver -- I am passing audio and video separately via two HDMI outs at the back of the player, one direct to the display for video and the other direct to the old AVR for audio.
Yes. My Marantz 6012 does this. Whatever mode it was in with a particular source, it goes back to that. I’m also one to check my settings periodically. When I DO find that I have DTSnx on for example after “remembering” that I left it with DSU engaged, it’s always my fault, and I actually forgot that I had been testing something. I mostly use DSU over DTSnx as I find it more natural, and honestly it’s better than PLIIX that I used in the past.
When I play disk I have to admit to a little AudiOCD. I always make sure to select the proper track, and make sure the sound mode is right. So I personally don’t mind the button pushing by understand the aversion.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Yes. My Marantz 6012 does this. Whatever mode it was in with a particular source, it goes back to that. I’m also one to check my settings periodically. When I DO find that I have DTSnx on for example after “remembering” that I left it with DSU engaged, it’s always my fault, and I actually forgot that I had been testing something. I mostly use DSU over DTSnx as I find it more natural, and honestly it’s better than PLIIX that I used in the past.
When I play disk I have to admit to a little AudiOCD. I always make sure to select the proper track, and make sure the sound mode is right. So I personally don’t mind the button pushing by understand the aversion.
Glad to know I'm not alone with my nuttiness (about checking settings).....o_Oo_Oo_O

What's weird about your findings with your Marantz, though, is that someone over at AVS who has a newer Integra AVR reported that his unit WON'T remember what mode to use the next time something other than a 5.1-or-higher signal is played -- he has to physically engage a Dolby Surround mode each time.

Is this something that is different between brands?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you mean? I was merely asking for clarification with regard to how you answered the original query.
I mean that explaining functions and terms between different models is a lot more complicated than it appears on the surface. Not to mention as HD pointed out, there's more than one way to do what you want, which makes it even more complicated. I had a feeling my first attempt was a little inadequate so I expected more questions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing useful aside from lighter/more flexible hdmi cable can be hdmi port savers....

On the Onkyo remembering thing, my Onkyo does but it's an older Audyssey enabled one, too. Mine also has a menu of presets and such.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's out of our budget, unfortunately. I was eyeing the RZ50, but that too is overkill for our needs and beyond current budget.
Well it sounds like you got it up and running again. Hopefully it's just a loose cable. I also see you've worked your way around to where you can enjoy UHD content and still continue using that avr. If you're happy with it there's no need to replace it and I'd keep right on using it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to know I'm not alone with my nuttiness (about checking settings).....o_Oo_Oo_O

What's weird about your findings with your Marantz, though, is that someone over at AVS who has a newer Integra AVR reported that his unit WON'T remember what mode to use the next time something other than a 5.1-or-higher signal is played -- he has to physically engage a Dolby Surround mode each time.

Well before you report me to AVS lol! Let me trippley wippley check that. All my other AVR’s did that. And this one always switches on its own the same way they did, so admittedly, I assumed that to be the case. Maybe not?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Well I just spent the last while going through different programs and material. I can say that my AVR does revert to whatever sound mode was previously used. Even when simply changing channels on my dish network proved consistent.
Iirc, this behavior has been consistent with other AVR’s I’ve used. Not sure why the guy with the integra has a different experience. My other Onkyos(sister brand) have also remembered.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My experience is with Yamaha but I think it’s probably the same for other brands.

In the current AVRs, Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) has only one mode. It’s on or off. The only choices are if you want to use DTS NeuralX Upmixer or Dolby Surround Upmixer in the “Surround Decode” sub menu. There is no “cinema” or “Music” mode for either of these upmixers. They will use whatever amount of speakers you have enabled globally in you main speaker setup.

Beyond that there is the ability to turn on and off center spread for DSU, but no such setting exists for NeuralX.

Depending what year of AVR you might also be able to choose DTS Neo6 Cinema or DTS Neo6 Music. Some may even let you choose PLII Cinema or PLII Music as well.

Some of the higher end models also have the Auro upmixer.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My experience when playing a disc or any hdmi input such as AppleTV or Firestick, is that the Yamaha AVR remembers what each input was set at the last time I used it. I go between DSU or no upmixer if the content is already in Atmos or DTSX. I don’t really use any others.

Like most people with height channels, I tend to upmix all 5.1 and 2.0 with DSU to 5.1.4. Why not use them if you have them? :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There is also such thing as an “Auto” upmixer setting on Yamaha at least. This option will use Dolby DSU for Dolby native content and DTS NeuralX on DTS native content.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I mean that explaining functions and terms between different models is a lot more complicated than it appears on the surface. Not to mention as HD pointed out, there's more than one way to do what you want, which makes it even more complicated. I had a feeling my first attempt was a little inadequate so I expected more questions.
Your first attempt wasn't "a little inadequate."

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Another thing useful aside from lighter/more flexible hdmi cable can be hdmi port savers....
Yeah, I believe I've seen those before -- they're like "latches" that lock on to the ports, correct, to keep them in place?

On the Onkyo remembering thing, my Onkyo does but it's an older Audyssey enabled one, too. Mine also has a menu of presets and such.
Yeah, if it's an older Audyssey-equipped model -- like my 605 -- it's going to have the features we have been discussing; I am concerned with how these new models behave.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Well it sounds like you got it up and running again. Hopefully it's just a loose cable. I also see you've worked your way around to where you can enjoy UHD content and still continue using that avr. If you're happy with it there's no need to replace it and I'd keep right on using it.
It's actually not "my way" of working around the 4K video/old audio issue -- it is a known tip that this is the way to get pre-Atmos/DTS:X audio codecs (Master Audio/TrueHD) bitstreamed to an older pre-4K AVR while sending 4K video right to a display. It's the reason why disc player manufacturers began offering UHD Blu-ray players with dual HDMI outputs...

As for the port/cable, not sure if the connection is even going to hold, but I think between discussing it here (and with the aid of folks like Lovinthehd who helped me narrow it down to possibly being the ridiculously thick, heavy cable that's being used and probably wearing the port out) I may have stumbled upon what the issue MIGHT be. And, yes, we've been really happy with the unit and wanted to keep it until either the electronics inside totally died or we were ready to upgrade to additional Atmos speakers (thus needing an Atmos-capable AVR).

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Well before you report me to AVS lol! Let me trippley wippley check that. All my other AVR’s did that. And this one always switches on its own the same way they did, so admittedly, I assumed that to be the case. Maybe not?
LMAO....no reporting you to anyone....:p

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Well I just spent the last while going through different programs and material. I can say that my AVR does revert to whatever sound mode was previously used. Even when simply changing channels on my dish network proved consistent.
Iirc, this behavior has been consistent with other AVR’s I’ve used. Not sure why the guy with the integra has a different experience. My other Onkyos(sister brand) have also remembered.
How old is your model?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
My experience is with Yamaha but I think it’s probably the same for other brands.

In the current AVRs, Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) has only one mode. It’s on or off. The only choices are if you want to use DTS NeuralX Upmixer or Dolby Surround Upmixer in the “Surround Decode” sub menu. There is no “cinema” or “Music” mode for either of these upmixers. They will use whatever amount of speakers you have enabled globally in you main speaker setup.

Beyond that there is the ability to turn on and off center spread for DSU, but no such setting exists for NeuralX.

Depending what year of AVR you might also be able to choose DTS Neo6 Cinema or DTS Neo6 Music. Some may even let you choose PLII Cinema or PLII Music as well.

Some of the higher end models also have the Auro upmixer.
From what I am being told, there is NO MORE Pro Logic II in ANY receiver -- it has been replaced by Dolby Surround Upmixer.

Based on what you are saying above, though, there is NO way then to take two-channel bitstreamed signals and spread them properly to where they need to be (dialogue in the center channel, etc.)?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
My experience when playing a disc or any hdmi input such as AppleTV or Firestick, is that the Yamaha AVR remembers what each input was set at the last time I used it. I go between DSU or no upmixer if the content is already in Atmos or DTSX. I don’t really use any others.

Like most people with height channels, I tend to upmix all 5.1 and 2.0 with DSU to 5.1.4. Why not use them if you have them? :)
I am strictly referring to 2.0 (two channel) Dolby Digital soundtracks or 2.0 mono soundtracks on DVDs and Blu-rays that need to be "steered" to proper speakers so they don't just come out of only the left and right mains -- with some older films on DVD that contain "Dolby Stereo Surround" tracks, these are normally detected by Pro Logic and sent to the right speakers for playback (so dialogue comes out of the center, etc.). Likewise with mono tracks, these, too, need to be steered into the center if they're in a 2.0 configuration -- so I am not referring to taking 5.1 tracks and upmixing them to use additional speakers. I am talking about 2.0 signals and how they are dealt with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis