IceIceBeavis

IceIceBeavis

Audiophyte
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, if it's not please delete.

I want to put speakers around my home, and I'd like to be able to stream to them from my mobile devices and computers. I've been looking, but I can't find any speakers that are wifi connected that don't come with some sort of service. I don't want google or amazon or any type of connected speaker. Just speakers that sit on my home wifi. Is that even a thing?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think if I were to have some casual type setup like that, I'd just buy a few of those JBL Flip 6 speakers and put them wherever. They sound great and can be paired up for stereo.

I simply installed little Fosi bluetooth amps with regular speakers in each room. That way, I get to use my better speakers. I typically use Pandora from my phone for those.

Everyone else I know that thought they wanted full connectivity throughout the house never uses it and it sits there more as a 'just in case they want to, it's there' kind of thing but they never actually do.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, if it's not please delete.

I want to put speakers around my home, and I'd like to be able to stream to them from my mobile devices and computers. I've been looking, but I can't find any speakers that are wifi connected that don't come with some sort of service. I don't want google or amazon or any type of connected speaker. Just speakers that sit on my home wifi. Is that even a thing?
Do you currently have a home setup like an AVR or 2 channel stereo system? The reason I ask is if there's a starting point to build off of. Do you know about what you want to spend for each room?

Last edited:
IceIceBeavis

IceIceBeavis

Audiophyte
Do you currently have a home setup like an AVR or 2 channel stereo system? The reason I ask is if there's a starting point to build off of. Do you know about what you want to spend for each room?
I don't currently have anything. I don't even know where to start to put together a budget.

Like is there a receiver that can accept multiple wifi/bluetooth speakers and a connection from phone and/or computers?

I know with the Google speakers you can have them all over and create multiple groups so that you can "cast" to certain ones. I don't want my all my speakers listening to me though.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I don't currently have anything. I don't even know where to start to put together a budget.

Like is there a receiver that can accept multiple wifi/bluetooth speakers and a connection from phone and/or computers?

I know with the Google speakers you can have them all over and create multiple groups so that you can "cast" to certain ones. I don't want my all my speakers listening to me though.
You could start out by making a main system with wired speakers in the room you're most likely to listen to music (living room/den) with something like this:

This has the bases covered as far as connectivity and you can send music to it from your phone or computer. What I like with this is it has a sub-out making adding a sub easier. Small speakers lack bass.

Then get a small speaker which you could put in or carry to any other room. Type "speaker with Chromecast built-in" to the amazon search. There are many relatively inexpensive options. Of course, the KEFs are nice but pricier.

You could even forgo the main system idea and get as many as these small speakers as you need.

Going with a main system gives you the ability to use good speakers and a sub for an exceptional listening experience.

IceIceBeavis

IceIceBeavis

Audiophyte
Then get a small speaker which you could put in or carry to any other room. Type "speaker with Chromecast built-in" to the amazon search.

This is really what I'm going for, I just don't want one that is an IoT speaker. I just want it to be local to my home with no connection outside.

Thank you for all the helpful information!!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I like the sound of my google/nest audio pair. You can always turn the mics off :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use older Audio Chromecast units with various systems (traditional amp/passive wired speakers) to do the Google Home thing with, very handy. Denon's Heos or Yamaha's MusicCast might be tech to look into....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis