P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Make sure your WiFi is on different channels and the neighbor's network won't be a problem.

Download Inssider and look at his signal strength- if it's in the -75dB range, don't worry about it unless yours is also in that range. If yours can't over-power his, something is wrong.

Like all high frequency RF, 5Gig doesn't go as far or pass through building materials very well. How far apart are the houses? At most, I would think only two of his devices would affect your network and even then, only if they're extremely close and the materials stop nothing. If you have room between the houses, plant a short tree- RF doesn't go through water very well.

All of this is why I hate the advertisements of "WiFi works everywhere" BS.
Good call on the -75, I didn't look too far into it but I will now. Easy enough to switch, so even though I'm looking good now (I'm that guy using ch 4 lol) I'll see how close to 'perfect' i can get

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
lol. You are preaching to the choir here. I use this wifi tool:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
free and no ads. Unfortunately I don't have free 2.4 channels (1,6 or 11) below -75db. My best result now is use middle band, like 2 or 4 and 20mhz band-width.
Looking forward using DFS channels on 5ghz range with Ubiquity since they fully support these.
That's majority what I've been using, my only complaint at first was if I used one of the 'best channels' it was actually one of the worst. I had better results using a channel in the red.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Good call on the -75, I didn't look too far into it but I will now. Easy enough to switch, so even though I'm looking good now (I'm that guy using ch 4 lol) I'll see how close to 'perfect' i can get
Every trainer for every brand says to use channels 1, 6 and 11 because there will be no overlap and since the neighboring WiFi won't be as strong as yours, theirs shouldn't bother your performance. If your APs are basically in a line from the gateway to the end and you can't see the gateway (In Inssider or other WiFi finder) when you're near the farthest AP, use the same channel as the gateway. You can adjust the power in each to allow this, too. If your computers and other devices that use WiFi have never been connected to the neighbor's network, they won't try to connect, especially if you turn off features like Auto-Connect (in some Apple hand-helds).

Best practice is to hard-wire stationary devices and if you have one or more groups in different locations (like in an AV cabinet),use a switch for those pieces. If you have a spare port, you can connect an AP but nobody recommends using bridge mode to connect one repeater to another repeater. If that even works, the speed and throughput would be abysmal.

For testing purposes, it can be helpful to add a number to the SSID for each transmitting device. When you see that the signal strength is consistent for all or you can't see the gateway at the farthest location and your speed/throughput is good at all locations, remove the numbers so you can roam as well as possible.

Remember- Apple devices leave claw marks when they let go of a connection.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis