P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Why not get the Google solution and solve this? Price?
Looking into it, with my ISP since they run moca I have to check compatibility. Cost is mainly the reason, I only have one device (ring) that is running on 2.4. For the cost of Google I could upgrade the ring and connect via 5ghz. So if my current ring supported 5ghz I wouldn't be dealing with any of this.
I'm also skeptical with getting better range on 2.4 as my ISP even remarked how much interference is in that range.
My router was at the back corner of my house and had no issue running 5ghz to the front of the house upstairs. 2.4 barely connects.
If I understand correctly I should improve my range by raising my router as close to the ceiling as possible.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking into it, with my ISP since they run moca I have to check compatibility. Cost is mainly the reason, I only have one device (ring) that is running on 2.4. For the cost of Google I could upgrade the ring and connect via 5ghz. So if my current ring supported 5ghz I wouldn't be dealing with any of this.
I'm also skeptical with getting better range on 2.4 as my ISP even remarked how much interference is in that range.
My router was at the back corner of my house and had no issue running 5ghz to the front of the house upstairs. 2.4 barely connects.
If I understand correctly I should improve my range by raising my router as close to the ceiling as possible.
If your 5ghz range is very clear and you do get a good signal near the current ring location, then by all means - just upgrade the ring.
Costco sells Ring 2 with 1 year cloud for $190.
You could just disable wifi on the router and ask ISP to convert your modem/router to be bridged. Then Use lan port from ISP router into first google wifi unit.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
BSA, the original Ring, Ring 2 and the Ring Floodlight Cam are all limited to 2.4ghz. The latest version of the Ring Pro uses 2.4 and 5ghz and the new $500 Elite can be setup as wired (PoE) or wireless.

Pewternhrata, please let us know if you find 5ghz provides you with more responsive or reliable Ring device.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BSA, the original Ring, Ring 2 and the Ring Floodlight Cam are all limited to 2.4ghz. The latest version of the Ring Pro uses 2.4 and 5ghz and the new $500 Elite can be setup as wired (PoE) or wireless.

Pewternhrata, please let us know if you find 5ghz provides you with more responsive or reliable Ring device.
Pro is a bit more expensive. at $240, might as well get it from Amazon at $225

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Pro is a bit more expensive. at $240, might as well get it from Amazon at $225
I just hope it helps the OP. His problem is unusual, at least outside of crowded apartments and condos and I suspect that it will.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just hope it helps the OP. His problem is unusual, at least outside of crowded apartments and condos and I suspect that it will.
My AP tells me 2.4 is VERY congested where I am. This is in a neighborhood which as you said you wouldn't think it'd be an issue. It apparently is. Yay me. CH 11 is the only one I don't get issues with.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My AP tells me 2.4 is VERY congested where I am. This is in a neighborhood which as you said you wouldn't think it'd be an issue. It apparently is. Yay me. CH 11 is the only one I don't get issues with.
I live in a single-family home, with each home has about 1/4 acre of land. yet, my 2.4 range is a mess, practically thanks to one specific neighbor who's running 3-4 Apple Airports express wifi points.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I live in a single-family home, with each home has about 1/4 acre of land. yet, my 2.4 range is a mess, practically thanks to one specific neighbor who's running 3-4 Apple Airports express wifi points.
That's a lot of APs for a house.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Ring has been more reliable since moving the router, the quality overall is a lot better. not as good as it could be, but good enough to not justify spending a few $$$ to increase it.
Wasn't sure if anyone had good placement tips or a means to increase coverage. Currently renting, looking to purchase within the year so another reason id hate to upgrade router or ring when I'm unsure what (or if I'll have) issues in the house I buy.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ring has been more reliable since moving the router, the quality overall is a lot better. not as good as it could be, but good enough to not justify spending a few $$$ to increase it.
Wasn't sure if anyone had good placement tips or a means to increase coverage. Currently renting, looking to purchase within the year so another reason id hate to upgrade router or ring when I'm unsure what (or if I'll have) issues in the house I buy.
That makes sense. You could always get a cheap router and put DDWRT on it and use it as a wireless bridge/AP. Works well. I can get you a list of cheap ones if you're interested.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
BSA
This thread sounds remarkably like my situation a year or so ago. My devices, a Ring doorbell and a Rachio sprinkler controller, were outside my house and far enough away from my then old school router that they were struggling to get signal. You recommended dumping my old router and getting a much more powerful Asus router. More importantly, you recommended relocating the router to a more central location and one mounted up in the air near the ceiling to provide better radio coverage. It was an all day project to move it (giant pain) but its been worth it every day since.

The Ring doesn't drop out anymore and its a happy camper. So is everything else.
Here's my router, above the archway in a door, flying next to my B-52D.
ASUS Stealth Router next to B52 edited.jpg

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Picked up a tp link re210 on clearance for cheap. At first I had it running off my main wifi name, but it kept switching between the router and extender. Gave the extender it's own name, connected to that now my ring is at a consistent rssi of -30. Golden.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Any good network equipment can be moved and as long as it's placed properly, it will perform. You may need more access points, but it will cover. The issue in the title of this thread has to do with using these as extenders, rather than actual access points that are wired to a switch or router- that never works as well as being hard-wired. Even when it is, it's not necessarily as fast as a hard-wired connection- one customer has a fitness facility and Spectrum Internet. Spectrum uses Ruckus access points, Ubee routers & modems and doesn't want anyone doing port forwarding or making other changes to the settings because they guarantee wired performance, but not wireless (nobody does). I went there to check out a complaint about the WiFi and found that when I used WiFi, the speed was around 45Mbps down/11Mbps up but if my laptop was wired to the router, it was 116Mbps down/>11Mbps up. My laptop was less than 4' from the hardware.

I went to Eero training yesterday and the trainer says that as a mesh network, the speed and throughput remain high, as long as the first piece is wired to the gateway provided by the ISP or customer is set in bridge mode and NAT is turned off.

highfigh

highfigh

I was told by AppleCare that Apple doesn't recommend, nor do they support, using more than two Apple hardware devices in the same network. I did a house with 5 and the Airport Extreme was tanking the network, so I replaced it with an Engenius AP.

Why is your neighbor's network killing yours?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was told by AppleCare that Apple doesn't recommend, nor do they support, using more than two Apple hardware devices in the same network. I did a house with 5 and the Airport Extreme was tanking the network, so I replaced it with an Engenius AP.

Why is your neighbor's network killing yours?
Since he's using several 2.4ghz bands on his wifi APs. causing lots of interference since his house is fairly close.
My 5ghz signal is very weak to non-existing in that room.
I am planning to switch to ubuquiti APs soon enough, just need to make ethernet drop in the master.

highfigh

highfigh

Since he's using several 2.4ghz bands on his wifi APs. causing lots of interference since his house is fairly close.
My 5ghz signal is very weak to non-existing in that room.
I am planning to switch to ubuquiti APs soon enough, just need to make ethernet drop in the master.
Make sure your WiFi is on different channels and the neighbor's network won't be a problem.

Download Inssider and look at his signal strength- if it's in the -75dB range, don't worry about it unless yours is also in that range. If yours can't over-power his, something is wrong.

Like all high frequency RF, 5Gig doesn't go as far or pass through building materials very well. How far apart are the houses? At most, I would think only two of his devices would affect your network and even then, only if they're extremely close and the materials stop nothing. If you have room between the houses, plant a short tree- RF doesn't go through water very well.

All of this is why I hate the advertisements of "WiFi works everywhere" BS.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Make sure your WiFi is on different channels and the neighbor's network won't be a problem.

Download Inssider and look at his signal strength- if it's in the -75dB range, don't worry about it unless yours is also in that range. If yours can't over-power his, something is wrong.

Like all high frequency RF, 5Gig doesn't go as far or pass through building materials very well. How far apart are the houses? At most, I would think only two of his devices would affect your network and even then, only if they're extremely close and the materials stop nothing. If you have room between the houses, plant a short tree- RF doesn't go through water very well.

All of this is why I hate the advertisements of "WiFi works everywhere" BS.
lol. You are preaching to the choir here. I use this wifi tool:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer
free and no ads. Unfortunately I don't have free 2.4 channels (1,6 or 11) below -75db. My best result now is use middle band, like 2 or 4 and 20mhz band-width.
Looking forward using DFS channels on 5ghz range with Ubiquity since they fully support these.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Was having issues with my dvr so my provider came out today. Had him take a look at my wireless, he complemented how good it was given the area. One thing he did reccomend was to disable the 5g on the tp link since I'm not actually using it. Thanks again for all the input guys.

PS the townhouse next to me WAS vacant, people moved in today, hopefully they dont screw with my wifi, I'm tempted to tell them to stay off my channel, then I'll be the odd neighbor lol.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Was having issues with my dvr so my provider came out today. Had him take a look at my wireless, he complemented how good it was given the area. One thing he did reccomend was to disable the 5g on the tp link since I'm not actually using it. Thanks again for all the input guys.

PS the townhouse next to me WAS vacant, people moved in today, hopefully they dont screw with my wifi, I'm tempted to tell them to stay off my channel, then I'll be the odd neighbor lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis