Why PSW 505 sucks for $290?

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Adam, thanks for stepping in my friend, you have always been the rational one around here, my man the Peace Maker.;)
Cheers Jeff

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Polk speakers are bad and you should feel bad.

SheepStar

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Polk should be shunned if only for their new company logo. That heart thing is a wretched logo for a speaker manufacturer. Is this what you really want on a subwoofer:
20120713042517-Polk-Audio-Celebrates-40-years-Of-High-Fidelity-Wi.jpg
That doesn't belong on any decent subwoofer, that belongs on a Hello Kitty pillow case.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
sound is a variable, even in the lower frequencies. and as a variable, persons have the right to express their personal impressions of the recreation of said variable by the subject of our scrutiny, in this case, a $300 subwoofer. some like anechoic tuned subwoofers, i do not. some like the specific character of some loudspeakers with passive crossovers, where i do not. for my personal taste, if it does not offer full control in the form of active crossovers (dsp), i dont want it. this preference makes the price range quite a bit higher than the medium that stores offer, but is it overpriced? in my case, no, it is not. because, like sound, my budget is a variable that i have complete control over, just like my dsp operated sound system. to others, my budget might be ridiculous, but that does not affect me or my purchasing decisions, nor do i care. what is overpriced to one person, is cheap crap to another person, again, more variables and differences in opinion.
have i heard the difference in subwoofers? yes i have, and it is possible to hear the difference... you just have to know what manufacturers make superior products.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I knew you couldn't resist Alex, you clean dirty old man:D Well that puts me way out of Adam's reach 40ish, I only wish, but I'll gladly accept the compliment, more than I get from the missus :) wait what am I saying, Alex and Adam in the same thread:eek: Nice talking with you gents, you guys keep me coming back...........;)
Cheers Jeff

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
After reading this whole thread again....

I don't know what I was even going on about.

Yes, there are some dickheaded/close-minded posts, but there are also quite a few very serious and thoughtful ones. I definitely shouldn't have allowed any of this to reflect upon the character of the members or this forum as a whole.

So i just want to apologize again for acting like a total idiot. My bad.

Lock this thread? :D

P.S> @ Sheep, who finds it necessary to troll and flame - I'm no polk fanboy, but I did read that the Polk LSiM's just got some Class B recommendation from Stereophile. Guess some people like Polk. And I don't know why I should feel bad that "Polk sucks," even if polk does suck. lol. Weirdo.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The more that you hang around, the better you get to know people. Sheep was just making a joke (I'm pretty sure). :) He's a good guy.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
The more that you hang around, the better you get to know people. Sheep was just making a joke (I'm pretty sure). :) He's a good guy.
Judging from the other things he said in the thread ("If you want to be close minded, go back to the polk forums"), I think there is some tension between him and polk for some reason.

I'm not, nor did I, saying anything about his personal character. I'm sure he IS a good guy. Just a weirdo... lol.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
In related news, it looks like AH has a pair of LSiM 703s in for review per their Facebook page.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
There are a couple of pretty in depth reviews on those speakers. I read most of what I could find. All I could really find were good reviews.
I was drawn to this site because there was this thread that said they were not-so-good, though the OP said they were the best (little ridic, but w/e). I read that thread and that's why I'm here, basically. For a while I was genuinely worried I was making a wrong decision. But then after talking to quite a few more people, I realized that the best thing to do was just get the stupid things and decide if I like them or not.

But alas, I am a noob here, so I do not know what AH is.... so I cannot check this new review.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis