Why PSW 505 sucks for $290?

N

nmalich

Audiophyte
Someone explain to me why many people on this forum feel that the Polk PSW 505 sucks? While at this time the 505 runs $290, who can honestly say they have evaluated this unit at that price and not say thats the best deal around? I read :"try this direct seller or that (relatively new) company, it will blow the 505 away. Well, how about when the product needs warranty repair in 3-4 years what are the chances that company will be around in this economy? And all the subs recommended are one third to half again the price!! I once had a self proclaimed "audiophile" tell me that you could "hear the difference" in an over priced piece of equip., I A/B ed him in the sound room and he had to admit he was wrong. So, is there anyone out there who can say they have heard a 33%-50% difference between this sub and the
HSU, AVS etc. enlighten me!! Remember, apples to apples, dollar for dollar.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Uh, they can say what ever they want.... It's a forum.

Yes, it might be a decent subwoofer for $290, but spending only $290 on a subwoofer in counter-productive. Save up more, and get something better.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Someone explain to me why many people on this forum feel that the Polk PSW 505 sucks? While at this time the 505 runs $290, who can honestly say they have evaluated this unit at that price and not say thats the best deal around? I read :"try this direct seller or that (relatively new) company, it will blow the 505 away. Well, how about when the product needs warranty repair in 3-4 years what are the chances that company will be around in this economy? And all the subs recommended are one third to half again the price!! I once had a self proclaimed "audiophile" tell me that you could "hear the difference" in an over priced piece of equip., I A/B ed him in the sound room and he had to admit he was wrong. So, is there anyone out there who can say they have heard a 33%-50% difference between this sub and the
I think you mean SVS. And given the subjective taste to your post (Oh so sweet) you must own one? Go back to the Polk forums if you're going to be closed minded.

SheepStar

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Well, how about when the product needs warranty repair in 3-4 years what are the chances that company will be around in this economy? I once had an "audiophile" tell me harder you could "fell the difference" in my piece of equip., I @# ed him in the sound room and he had to admit he was wrong. So, is there anyone out there who can say they have heard a 33%-50% difference between this sub and the
HSU, AVS etc. enlighten me!! cause im trolling
fixed? are you running for political office?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The main thing is, is that your happy with your rig. Who cares what others say.

My system on these audio forums is like voodoo. An in-ceiling system for HT.

I don't care what other say. Every time I turn my system on it always seems to amaze me. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The main thing is, is that your happy with your rig. Who cares what others say.
Exactly! I've listened to some Polk subs (never that model, though), and I wasn't impressed enough to want to get one. I know people that own them and are very happy with them, though, so I never say that they are bad subs.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I recommend buying the GSV 15" from gsvsubwoofersareawesome.com. It outperforms the Polk in all my measurements, performs beautifully down to 5Hz at 120dB and only costs $1500. The speakers are covered with shag carpet, but for an extra charge you can get veneer. My wife loves the look, she says it goes really good with her tiger-skin boots. When you call them, ask for Anthony in sales. If you need any support, ask for Anthony in support. If you have a shipping question, ask for Anthony in shipping. Oh, and Anthony in tech is really helpful when it comes time to set it up. If they don't answer just leave a message.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
who can honestly say they have evaluated this unit at that price and not say thats the best deal around?
If you're willing to say that this, I assume you've evaluated the competition, right? What did you think?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I recommend buying the GSV 15" from gsvsubwoofersareawesome.com. It outperforms the Polk in all my measurements, performs beautifully down to 5Hz at 120dB and only costs $1500. The speakers are covered with shag carpet, but for an extra charge you can get veneer. My wife loves the look, she says it goes really good with her tiger-skin boots. When you call them, ask for Anthony in sales. If you need any support, ask for Anthony in support. If you have a shipping question, ask for Anthony in shipping. Oh, and Anthony in tech is really helpful when it comes time to set it up. If they don't answer just leave a message.
LOL, that's funny.:D

N

nmalich

Audiophyte
Just what I thought!!

Thanks to some of you who actually had a point.
To answer a few questions, no I don't own this speaker ,no I have not heard this particular sub, if I had I would not have asked for reasons why 505 had such negative comments. I'm trying to find out whether for a mid level system this would be a good deal, this is not going to be my dream set up. Evidently not a sole who responded has actually even heard the sub in action! The thought that all Polk subs stink might be true but if you have not heard this one why open your mouth. :eek: I was actually under the impression that those in the past who ragged on it actually heard it, my mistake.

As for "bedpan" I mean "bandphan" you must of mistaken "Sheepman" for me in that lame reply!!

Again thanks to the few of you who are real.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Hey, I auditioned the sub last week. It was very weak and the Bose Acoustimass blew it out of the water. You might try auditioning the Bose system.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to start a subwoofer company called Bedpan... because it shakes you so hard you crap yourself.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks to some of you who actually had a point.
To answer a few questions, no I don't own this speaker ,no I have not heard this particular sub, if I had I would not have asked for reasons why 505 had such negative comments. I'm trying to find out whether for a mid level system this would be a good deal, this is not going to be my dream set up. Evidently not a sole who responded has actually even heard the sub in action! The thought that all Polk subs stink might be true but if you have not heard this one why open your mouth. :eek: I was actually under the impression that those in the past who ragged on it actually heard it, my mistake.

As for "bedpan" I mean "bandphan" you must of mistaken "Sheepman" for me in that lame reply!!

Again thanks to the few of you who are real.
I wasn't aware that the Human ear was the only way to hear something. Do you know that the human ear hears a different frequency response as different volumes?

PSW505 Ground plane (Secrets):

In Room with and without EQ(Secrets):

Now, the SVS PB-10 for $430 dollars Ground Plain (Secrets):

In Room (Secrets):

Tough Choice..

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to start a subwoofer company called Bedpan... because it shakes you so hard you crap yourself.
Ah, so every subwoofer will hit 8Hz at 108dB minimum eh? Nice :D

I love trolls.

SheepStar

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Go back to the Polk forums if you're going to be closed minded.

SheepStar
Just for clarity, we have a pretty diverse group of members at Club Polk. You won't find much of love for the subwoofers of the past there either. I don't know what fan boy site your referring to but it ain't over there.

Respectfully,
Mark

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
As far as Polk subwoofers go, it's one of the better models the company has produced historically. I own an SVS and my OK, may be your Awesome...who knows.

This is a tough category these days and nothing like 10 years ago. I think we woke up and FINALLY made a better subwoofer but in todays group of manufacturers like SVS, HSU, Danley, JL Audio, etc.....it's a hardcore boxing match. That's fantastic because it keeps everyone thinking ahead and putting out better product. The consumer gets a win-win situation. For Polk, alot of the hardcore subwoofer design and effort started with the 12V(Car Audio) SR series. Blah blah, I digress, who cares.....I'm rambling.

It's $290. I don't think you're going to change the world in that price bracket. Buy it, try it and decide for yourself.

Mark

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Someone explain to me why many people on this forum feel that that Arby's sucks? While at this time an Arby's Toasted Sub runs $3.50, who can honestly say they have evaluated this sandwich at that price and not say thats the best deal around? I read :"try this Classic Deli or that New Sandwich Shop down the street, it will blow the Arbys away." All the Subs recommended are one third to half again the price!! I once had a self proclaimed "foodie" tell me that you could "taste the difference" in over priced [vague, unspecified food related item], I A/B ed him in the kitchen and he had to admit he was wrong. So, is there anyone out there who can say they have heard a 33%-50% difference between the Arby's Sub and the Zabar's or the Zingerman's Deli sandwiches!!!! Enlighten me!!!!! Remember, apples to apples, dollar for dollar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis