Why PSW 505 sucks for $290?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To me, it is kind of like asking if a Yugo would be a good car if it cost $1? The answer is the same: NO. It isn't a complete piece of crap, but I still wouldn't buy it myself.

I like Arbys.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I don't eat fast food, but I like McDonald's vanilla ice coffee. The name is misleading, because when you watch them make it they take a huge cup (gotta get the large), pour like half of it with cream, then some sort of sugar-vanilla-goup, and then like two drops of coffee. So basically, it's sugar. Liquid sugar. Mmmm...

Sometimes I get the apple pie too, but I always burn my tongue with them. Every single time. I get it and I'm like "yup, gotta be careful, its hot" ... and it says "HOT HOT HOT" all over the box. So I open it up, let it cool a bit... then I take a "exploratory bite" .. you know, like when you test the temperature of coffee or soup? ... and all is well... so I take the first bite and !@#$!@$%!@#$%!@ ... then I drop it and say I'm never ordering one again and try to cool my mouth with the liquid sugar. The rest of the day I keep putting my tongue on the roof of my mouth, and people are looking at me like they aren't exactly sure what is wrong with me because my eyes kind of look up when I do it. Then I'm drinking a ton of water or soda all day because it feels good on my burnt tongue, so I have to pee all the time. Basically, the apple pie ruins my entire day.

As far as Arby's, the commercials make me so angry I can't get in the door...

...that says everything for me.

J

jaross

Audioholic Intern
Psw50

I have the PSW50, which if Im not mistaken (I may be) is the predecessor to the PSW 505. I got it for $70 used which I feel is a good deal. But I am a college student with no money... It is thumpin and I really can't complain, but if I had more money I couldn't imagine spending on a new one...

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Lemme tell you, I have just been snatched up into this controversy.

I will explain to the OP the answer to his question.

The people here will not like polk unless it is broken down and reborn as a small fringe company (like it was back in the day when everyone LOVED them) again.

Keep in mind you are on a forum called "audioholics" full of self-proclaimed audiophiles and experts. Whether it is warranted or not, this environment attracts loud-mouthed people(it's what you do on a forum.... talk). This is true of any forum of this type. You must expect to meet people here who want nothing more than to make you feel wrong for not knowing enough or having bad tastes, though, and I think your original post was pretty much asking them to do just that.

Some of them are EXTREMELY insightful. Some are not. Is your sub good for the price? Yes. Do the same people telling you that you should save up also post in other threads for budget systems? Yes.

Try not to get so angry about it, as that is the true thing that is counterproductive.

Does polk make good speakers? Yes. Undeniably.

Are all the speakers Polk makes nice? Not really.

Are there better speakers out there? Yes.

Will you egregiously overpay for stuff from companies like Dynaudio? Yes.

However, look at some of the other brands we have here promoted by our fellow forum members. Bowers and Wilkens has underwhelmed me every single time I heard them. I thought they were supposed to be godsent and tweak-heads dreams. And yet, I find Best Buys populated almost solely by B&W stuff in magnolia sections.

So I would like to see a thread where some actual engineers get on here and give us some straight talk about the audio world and how subjective it is and how pointless it is to have all this fanboy arguing.

All of the answers to this thread can be found simply by reading on other sites and this one. When it comes to serious audiophile stuff, the only answer can be to listen and have a good, practiced ear. however in this case, saying the entire company of Polk sucks is simply wrong. The amount of ludacris trash i have seen... well... trashing polk... is crazy!

Some guy gave the 703's crap because they have bi-amp capability. How many people out there who spend 1500 bux on speakers would opt for NOT having biamp capability? Oh, but I'm sure in your infinite wisdom, you must know it was a marketing decision. So what? Polk is supposed to NOT include that capability for what reason? And yet, this same person who made this comment is giving other people crap about "trolling."

How old are we here, people?

Maybe remove this kind of illegitimate argument, and we can actually get down to brass tacs.

I thought this forum was about helping people, even beginners, not about mere elitism.
I mean it's not like I jump over people on here for liking stupid music, yet on music forums, plenty of people here would get trashed. No one here is perfect. Let's try to be a little less elitist.

And that marks the last time I will ever defend some company on this forum like that.
Just having a bad day, and tired of seeing the underdog get squashed.

Sorry for the rant guys.

Last edited:
W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
No amount of elapsed time can stop a sperglord on a mission.
And the trolling begins. You know what the difference is here^? ^this guy has people to back him up, so he's not a troll... right?
You don't know about me, man, and you have made 0 effort to do so, and i highly doubt you even read the book that was my post.
So what makes you NOT a troll?

I had serious issue with something. Maybe it is stupid to you. In such a case, you should promptly go somewhere else. If no one cares, I'd be happy with no replies.

No i didn't realize it was from 08. It was bold and at the top of some forum page I came to. My bad. I humbly apologize. Let's put this to bed, then. I've said all I wish to say about this topic (sorry it was a lot and a necropost... I'm really sorry).

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
No, I would never tell you not to like polk. What is ridiculous is you going on a rampage that we should.

P.S. I did read your post. It's rambling unfair and rather rude

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
What?!

Where did I mention you telling me whether to like polk or not (or anything for that matter)?
In fact, the whole reason i arrived at tthis site was in part due to my lack of satisfaction with my RTiA3's.

Taking out that irrelevent statement from your post, the only thing that remains (which seems to be the only purpose of your follow up post) is to call my post unfair and rude, and to assure everyone that you arrived at this stark conclusion after thoroughly reading my accurately named ramble?

I egregiously apologized for my mistake in necroposting. Sorry for rambling, as well.
The only thing you have added to this thread was to call me a "sperglord," and then proceed to call me a "moron" (privately). Who's the troll here? Who's being rude?

Grador, you have done nothing but be an internet bully here. The guy before you was kind enough to clue me in to my stupid, stupid mistake. I blushed heavily and then thanked his post.

This kind of argument would be better limited to skype. Grador, if you feel the need to call me more names, you may do so through private message.

This thread, I think, deserves to be locked.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Been a while since Dorokusai has been around. I wonder if he is still over at Polk?

Anyway, I agree, this thread should probably have been locked a long time ago.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
This thread, I think, deserves to be locked.

"This thread, which had been inactive for several years, which I barged into just to insult everyone who is a member of this forum and behave in a generally troll-like fashion, has gone too far!!!".

I'll gladly call you a moron in public.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
"This thread, which had been inactive for several years, which I barged into just to insult everyone who is a member of this forum and behave in a generally troll-like fashion, has gone too far!!!".

I'll gladly call you a moron in public.
I did not mean to insult everyone on this forum at all. I think you totally misread my post.If you got that idea or were offended, i am terribly sorry!

And i already messaged a moderator to lock the thread.

And i will apologize once again to you all for making the stupid mistake of posting in a 5 year old thread. I assure you I am quite embarassed.

Thank you for your ever so intelligent insight into my personal character based on a lengthy post in a forum over the internet. Why some people are allowed to namecall and bully is beyond me.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You don't know about me, man, and you have made 0 effort to do so.........
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.
I read your first post in this thread.
It sounds like you've made many assumptions about people you don't know.
If you think the only problem is that you posted in an old 2008 thread...you're kidding yourself.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I did not mean to insult everyone on this forum at all.
yes, you did. It's right there. Read your own post. You called everyone in here a bunch of elitists who form their opinions about equipment based not on reality but on snobbish preconceptions and a desire to insult others to feel superior.

Think a little more before posting in the future.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
So having reread my original post, I know exactly what you all are talking about.

Me saying "i thought this forum was about.... not mere elitism."

I do not think this forum is about elitism. I do not think the people on this forum are stupid. That is a poorly worded sentence, and my only guess as to why I wrote it was in regards to the guy talking about the biamping on the LSi's. Otherwise, it is a stupid sentence and I do not stand behind it.

I really REALLY don't mean to trash this forum. My comments about loud-mouths and experts and such are really a comment on the nature of forums in general.

I am very very sorry for offending you all. I just thought I was looking out for the little guy. Turns out I was looking out for some dude from five whole years ago who made death threats and got banned -______- and i did it in a highly immature and rambly manner.

I take issue only with a handful of posts I have seen on this forum, and I should have just kept my mouth shut. Sometimes, it seems that regulars who have made friends can gang up on the new guys, who really have no power to defend themselves.

So i hope this clears everything up. Consider this my apology to everyone. I have already apologized via pm to some people.

But please... let's stop this "you started it" business. And let's lock this thread.

My bad, I am sorry. Despite some of you being immensly rude to me, as well, I am betting you all are a good bunch of people.

See you around.

Last edited:
W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Adding another post to say sorry for being a ******** again :(

I'm sad :(

Had I even remembered what I had written in my stupid post this wouldn't have gone so far.

Plz forgivez me?

bobnegi

bobnegi

Audioholic Intern
Oh don't forget Tony in Customer Ccomplaints. If you got a problem he will let you say "Hello to his little friend"

Sorry couldn't resist:cool:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Insults were made, as were apologies. Water under the bridge, I hope.

Now...let's all be friends. Hey, it's Friday. :)

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Yea. I hope so. I made so many apologies lmao.

I truly f'ed up.

Weird seeing a thread where all apologies are made by "yours truly."

Totally embarassed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis