Why PSW 505 sucks for $290?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But then after talking to quite a few more people, I realized that the best thing to do was just get the stupid things and decide if I like them or not.
^This is what it comes down to. You may be perfectly happy with them. The fact is, speakers are a personal preference. What one person thinks is the best thing ever may not appeal to someone else.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
There are a couple of pretty in depth reviews on those speakers. I read most of what I could find. All I could really find were good reviews.
I was drawn to this site because there was this thread that said they were not-so-good, though the OP said they were the best (little ridic, but w/e). I read that thread and that's why I'm here, basically. For a while I was genuinely worried I was making a wrong decision. But then after talking to quite a few more people, I realized that the best thing to do was just get the stupid things and decide if I like them or not.

But alas, I am a noob here, so I do not know what AH is.... so I cannot check this new review.
Man you did some rep damage in 80 posts. I'm the resident **** and I still can't achieve that.

SheepStar

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Actually, all the damage was done in around 10 posts.

My objective on this site is to learn as much about speakers as I can. This includes learning about the public's views on speakers.

Under an objectively judicial lens, my initial posts may not have deserved such hatred or emotional backlash. However, I am here to see the public's opinion, and the whole experience, from beginning to end, has thus far been extreemely educational.

I still take issue with some of the things I mentioned in this thread. I don't take issue with all of them. Some were arrived at stupidly, and some were not. This is why I make it a point to deal with things on a case-by-case basis. For me, this means focusing on exactly what a person said, rather than reading into what they said and making judgements on the person beyond expressed accounts/details.

This is why I apologized for acting so stupidly. I should not have said the things that I said regarding this forum or its members as a whole. They were not and have not been verified or adjudicated. However, I still stand by my statements made about what was said by that guy "Send Margaritas." I do not make any statements about the person behind the name or his/her character.

I also stand behind what I said about forums, in general. From my experience, the internet is a place where everyone can be loudmouthed because the social restrcitions or factors that hold people back in the personal world do not hold true here. Sometimes, this results in lots more diversity in opinions that one would not find elsewhere. Most of the time, it just results in people voicing their opinions loudly and emotionally.

I also stand behind my statements about forum politics. The people that have friends on any given forum have more power and freedom to say what they want without backlash. The people who are new are held under more intense scrutiny.

But this is all from my experience. And I do apologize for my stupid actions before.

Gurm42

Gurm42

Audiophyte
I am a Necro-thread-mancer, and by my power this thread is RESURRECTED!

Gurm42

Gurm42

Audiophyte
I found this thread supremely entertaining. It deserves to be appreciated. It was alone and sad, in the dark, hidden in the depths of the forum. I'm nurturing it, like a little cactus you get at Home Depot with a tiny flower on top. It's a sad cactus, but if you water it once a month and replace the sand, it will STILL be a sad cactus. Maybe that was a bad analogy.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just what I thought!!

Thanks to some of you who actually had a point.
To answer a few questions, no I don't own this speaker ,no I have not heard this particular sub, if I had I would not have asked for reasons why 505 had such negative comments. I'm trying to find out whether for a mid level system this would be a good deal, this is not going to be my dream set up. Evidently not a sole who responded has actually even heard the sub in action! The thought that all Polk subs stink might be true but if you have not heard this one why open your mouth. :eek: I was actually under the impression that those in the past who ragged on it actually heard it, my mistake.

As for "bedpan" I mean "bandphan" you must of mistaken "Sheepman" for me in that lame reply!!

Again thanks to the few of you who are real.
I may be late to this thread been busy with family but I feel where your coming from think we all have

Starting off or with ceartin ups and downs of life budget is tight but we still want the best audio we can afford

It's important to try and stretch that budget out as far as we can realistically go so every dollars important.

I had a good budget to start with when I first got into this but started out budget and with name brands at value to 1) learn a little before I really blew my cash and 2) try to find good values that I might end up being happy with before I went overboard

Along The way I learned some things

After trying Polk Klipsch subs and every other budget sub out there there is no shortcuts to really good bass period. Not at the 300 and under range. Your just not going to get very far. The closest I came was the Bic PL-200 and even then that's not saying it was great just sounded better then polk and klipsch subs at that price point to my ears

But for not much more starting at around the 400 range you start getting a lot of cool options

Starting with the RSL speedwoofer 10s for $400 tax free to Texas and free shipping that little sub is just a monster for its size. If you don't put it in too big of a room it really is an overachiever in every way possible. It lacks a little low end extension but man it has that great sound I've come to expect from some of the better commercial subs out there I've heard from SVS rhythmik hsu monoprice etc etc.

For 500 you have the monoprice 10 the SVS PB 1000 HSU has one or two really good subs around that price point.

I get where your coming from and to be honest until I went out and started hearing the better end subs I wouldn't have known the difference

But after I did I can honestly say that the Polk sub your referring to is not a very good sub neither are a lot of the other budget subs from like Klipsch or the other budget brands out there

But if you don't want to go higher or just can't then go with the Polk it's all about your happiness in the end

But I gotta warn you if you do start hearing the higher priced subs your gonna most likely like me get hooked. And be willing to save up that cash to get that performance

The Polk just can't come close to the low distortion deep extension better range greater headroom and dynamics and speed detail and accuracy to the source that the other subs and manufacturers you mentioned can give you

Good luck on whatever you find or decide on hope we have a lottof good dialoging on threads to come

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Damn saw this thread highlighted in bold didn't think to check the start date. It's like 5 years old. Sorry fellas didn't realize.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Damn saw this thread highlighted in bold didn't think to check the start date. It's like 5 years old. Sorry fellas didn't realize.
Some great Prose, there, Danzilla. but remember, its always better to start a new....
Sh!t, I can't even keep a straight face typing that! :p
;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis