Why does Audyssey XT32 insist that subs be -10db even after setting gain?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
What kind of upgrade did you get that your ears play any frequencies at all?!
Ears bones try to process the incoming frequencies. It’s more of a interpretation. If your dissatisfied with my wording it wasn’t intended to be flawless!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting.

Let’s see if your slope is 12db per octave. 80-160 is down -12 db and at 1/2 octave 120hz -6db

Now if one ran the sub 6db hot -6db slope they wash each other. Over the 1/2 octave! From 80-120

The real problem your concerned with is muddy/boomy bass as well as localizing you sub which you stated was more likely above 80hz

Maybe relocating your sub or listening seat could alter that equation slightly!

Not a perfect solution but a possibility non the less!
Iirc for AVRs, the slope for subs (LPF) are more typically -24 dB/Octave.

ClairET

Audioholic Intern
This has certainly been an interesting topic and discussion. Was having the remote turn on issues myself, which this thread solved as well as a better understanding of crossover points, etc. when I used Odyssey to setup the sound shaping, I also found the LFE crossover being set at 120. Manually, I would always go between 80 and 90 for transparency. I’m limited to where I can place the sub, so not a lot of positioning options. Receiver is an older Onkyo, but the explanations here really helped dial things in better. Great discussion and thanks for the topic and insights.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
This has certainly been an interesting topic and discussion. Was having the remote turn on issues myself, which this thread solved as well as a better understanding of crossover points, etc. when I used Odyssey to setup the sound shaping, I also found the LFE crossover being set at 120. Manually, I would always go between 80 and 90 for transparency. I’m limited to where I can place the sub, so not a lot of positioning options. Receiver is an older Onkyo, but the explanations here really helped dial things in better. Great discussion and thanks for the topic and insights.
Is that the ‘‘LPF for LFE’’ at 120 or a speaker crossover?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
LFE, that's why it is named "LPF for LFE".
Was asking if she had a crossover set at 120 and not 80/90 like before or if the 120 was the LPF for LFE setting, maybe i should have been clearer but it is now at least.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Was asking if she had a crossover set at 120 and not 80/90 like before or if the 120 was the LPF for LFE setting, maybe i should have been clearer but it is now at least.
Sorry, I should known that you would know better.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Sorry, I should known that you would know better.
I know everyth... ...uhm, no, but it would be nice to know everything about AV stuff wouldnt it, so much easier (and probably cheaper) to get what we actually want instead of what we think we do :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
By "for transparency", did you measure it, like using REW or by ears?

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
I recently bought a Denon 3500h to run my three Chane A2.4s and SVS PB12-NSD sub. When I ran Audyssey it had my sub’s gain at about 8-9 o’clock and my receiver was set to -6.5db. I called SVS about it and they had me crank the gain on the sub to 1 o’clock and said if I want more I can go up to -3db on the receiver and 3 o’clock on the sub gain. That seems to contradict what I read in this thread. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I recently bought a Denon 3500h to run my three Chane A2.4s and SVS PB12-NSD sub. When I ran Audyssey it had my sub’s gain at about 8-9 o’clock and my receiver was set to -6.5db. I called SVS about it and they had me crank the gain on the sub to 1 o’clock and said if I want more I can go up to -3db on the receiver and 3 o’clock on the sub gain. That seems to contradict what I read in this thread. Thoughts?

Need a little more context, such as the size of your room and what issues you had when talking to them. The settings you had before talking to SVS (what prompted you to contact them?) are what I'd consider close to ideal (maybe bump the trim 3-5 dB, fairly common) unless you weren't getting enough bass or had issues waking your sub.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
Need a little more context, such as the size of your room and what issues you had when talking to them. The settings you had before talking to SVS (what prompted you to contact them?) are what I'd consider close to ideal (maybe bump the trim 3-5 dB, fairly common) unless you weren't getting enough bass or had issues waking your sub.
Yeah I basically wasn’t waking my sub and when it was awake I wasn’t hearing it. I live in an 800sqft apartment. So you think to run the Audyssey again, then instead of -6.5db on the receiver go to -3.5 to -1.5db? Even with the settings as is I barely ever hear it.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I basically wasn’t waking my sub and when it was awake I wasn’t hearing it. I live in an 800sqft apartment. So you think to run the Audyssey again, then instead of -6.5db on the receiver go to -3.5 to -1.5db? Even with the settings as is I barely ever hear it.

You can just raise the sub trim level in the avr without rerunning it unless you think something went wrong during Audyssey setup. Your sub shouldn't make itself known particularly....what are you basing your expectations on?

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
You can just raise the sub trim level in the avr without rerunning it unless you think something went wrong during Audyssey setup. Your sub shouldn't make itself known particularly....what are you basing your expectations on?
I’m probably basing it on liking a lot of bass haha. Just to confirm, you’d recommend turning the gain down in my sub to 8-9 o’clock then turn it up on the AVR? I can play with it and see.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I’m probably basing it on liking a lot of bass haha. Just to confirm, you’d recommend turning the gain down in my sub to 8-9 o’clock then turn it up on the AVR? I can play with it and see.

He probably means just raise in the avr.
Did you use audyssey or turned it off? Dynamic eq?
If you have turned off dynamic eq you will need to increase the sub volume to compensate for our perception of bass unless you play at close to reference level.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
He probably means just raise in the avr.
Did you use audyssey or turned it off? Dynamic eq?
If you have turned off dynamic eq you will need to increase the sub volume to compensate for our perception of bass unless you play at close to reference level.
I turned Aydyssey off to switch my speakers to small. Dynamic eq and volume is off. Based on what I’ve read that’s recommended?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I turned Aydyssey off to switch my speakers to small. Dynamic eq and volume is off. Based on what I’ve read that’s recommended?

You can just set speakers to small even if audyssey on. Audyssey with or without dynamic EQ is just preference, i keep them off but a lot use them. But with dynamic EQ off unless you are running close to 0dB or 80dB(or so dont remember exactly) you will ‘hear’/feel less bass then intended because of the way our hearing works. So if you watch a movie or tv program at -20dB or -30dB you will feel the bass is lacking. To compensate most increase sub volume in the AVR by 3 to 6dB, this will be more ‘accurate’ in reality but at the end of the day its what you like that is right for you. For fun before you increase you should turn audyssey with dynamic EQ on and just hear/feel how much that actually increase the bass to compensate for our hearing.

Edit: corrected dynamic volume to dynamic EQ. -oops

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis