Why does Audyssey XT32 insist that subs be -10db even after setting gain?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You can just set speakers to small even if audyssey on. Audyssey with or without dynamic volume is just preference, i keep them off but a lot use them. But with dynamic volume off unless you are running close to 0dB or 80dB(or so dont remember exactly) you will ‘hear’/feel less bass then intended because of the way our hearing works. So if you watch a movie or tv program at -20dB or -30dB you will feel the bass is lacking. To compensate most increase sub volume in the AVR by 3 to 6dB, this will be more ‘accurate’ in reality but at the end of the day its what you like that is right for you. For fun before you increase you should turn audyssey with dynamic volume on and just hear/feel how much that actually increase the bass to compensate for our hearing.
You mean dynamic eq...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m probably basing it on liking a lot of bass haha. Just to confirm, you’d recommend turning the gain down in my sub to 8-9 o’clock then turn it up on the AVR? I can play with it and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, just to do any changes to sub level only in the avr post-Audyssey; the avr is a better way (accurate and repeatable) to raise/lower sub trim rather than the gain adjustment on your sub....some raise sub level only 2-4 dB (like me), some do 6 +.... YMMV.

U

UWbadger91

Junior Audioholic
You can just set speakers to small even if audyssey on. Audyssey with or without dynamic EQ is just preference, i keep them off but a lot use them. But with dynamic EQ off unless you are running close to 0dB or 80dB(or so dont remember exactly) you will ‘hear’/feel less bass then intended because of the way our hearing works. So if you watch a movie or tv program at -20dB or -30dB you will feel the bass is lacking. To compensate most increase sub volume in the AVR by 3 to 6dB, this will be more ‘accurate’ in reality but at the end of the day its what you like that is right for you. For fun before you increase you should turn audyssey with dynamic EQ on and just hear/feel how much that actually increase the bass to compensate for our hearing.

Edit: corrected dynamic volume to dynamic EQ. -oops
I turned on dynamic eq with the receiver at -6.5db and the sub gain at 1 o’clock. Seems perfect.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I have my sub 15 gain set at half 12 0clock.

That setting has the sub 82db at the main seat 10 feet from front of woofer.

I usually listen at -20 db sometimes -10.

Never once have I dialed the trim in my processor down or up. All settings are set to flat.

If the bass was lacking it’s either poor sub placement or crappy source material. Not a fan of eq-ing anything.:oops:

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I have my sub 15 gain set at half 12 0clock.

That setting has the sub 82db at the main seat 10 feet from front of woofer.

I usually listen at -20 db sometimes -10.

Never once have I dialed the trim in my processor down or up. All settings are set to flat.

If the bass was lacking it’s either poor sub placement or crappy source material. Not a fan of eq-ing anything.:oops:
So you dont have your speakers level matched?
82dB at what volume?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I basically wasn’t waking my sub and when it was awake I wasn’t hearing it. I live in an 800sqft apartment. So you think to run the Audyssey again, then instead of -6.5db on the receiver go to -3.5 to -1.5db?

I'd say SVS know their product better than I do. If they suggested that and it sounds good I'd leave it.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
So you dont have your speakers level matched?
82dB at what volume?
Yes. The mains are calibrated to 85 db 1 meter at tweeter height. They are each 82 db at the listening seat but together 85 db

The sub is calibrated 85 db at 1 meter from centre of woofer cone and 82 db at the main seat.

With all speakers level matched I can hit 100 db at -20 depending on the source material. I can go plenty louder but honestly 100 db is scary(yet awesome) when it happens all of the sudden relative to the dialogue at around 70-75.

Let’s not forget the average home theatre enthusiast calibrates their system with pink noise and the spl meter at the listening position which usually has the meter below the tweeter level.

Tweeters don’t have as large of an off axis response considering say a 1 inch dome vs a mid driver or bass driver.

From my experience this is not a great way to level match speakers. My approach focuses on the tweeter and the manufacturer 1w/1m

My speakers have 88 db anechoic and 91 in room 1w/1m

That is how I level matched my speakers and sub. I used an approach that 2 matching speakers increase output 3 db when played together so if I lost 3 db at the main seat from one speaker the other restored the loss!

-3 db is noticeable but not much that I lose any sleep over. I bet everyone reading this will agree that -3 from “0” is less noticeable then -3 from -27 to -30 on the volume even though it’s the same db loss!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis