Why do people defy logic?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Really?

Why do they do it?

People that resist countless DBTs, and other blatantly obvious tests that show clearly what is, and what isn't true. Is it possible that there are so many people that follow this line of thought are the same kind of people that are killing the economy? Are they just plain stupid? (eh, maybe that one's a combination of greed and stupid).

Forgive my mini-rant. I just comprehend what could possibly be going through someone's head when they deny logic, and truly believe their bias must be, and has to be correct.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I think it might be better understood when taken in a different context. Depending on the circumstances, it's entirely possible that someone is simply choosing to believe themself over you. Plain and simple. For example, someone is convinced that they can hear a difference between two things (amps, cables, whatever). Reading posts from people that they don't know over the internet telling them that such-and-such study was done and "proved" that there wasn't any difference isn't going to make someone just throw away their own experience. Now, if they themselves were to mimic the study and have similar results, that's a different story. Then they would have personal experience with it.

Just my thinking on the matter. You shouldn't think that people are silly, stupid, or ignorant because they don't believe everything that they read. I see it as being the opposite.

You could take their resistance as an opportunity to improve your powers of persuasion. :)

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Adam.

People that resist countless DBTs, and other blatantly obvious tests that show clearly what is, and what isn't true. Are they just plain stupid? (eh, maybe that one's a combination of greed and stupid).
I don't think it's helpful to attack people who's minds work differently than yours. For many people, direct experience trumps academic information. There is nothing inherently wrong with that.-It's simply a different world-view.
Let's not forget, these are entertainment systems we are talking about here. The goal is the same for all of us-to be entertained. Why does it matter so much how others go about it?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Reading posts from people that they don't know over the internet
I feel like I 'know' both you and Seth. Between the two of you I could easily find what you had to say on 1,000 occasions. I may not know what color your hair is but I have an idea of how your minds work and am of the opinion that you guys wouldn't lead me to believe something that has been proven to be false. I appreciate that.

My personal experience would lead me to believe that the sun revolves around the earth and the earth is flat. If this was an astronomy forum, would you easily tolerate me posting about it here while suggesting that others buy a sun brake to lengthen their lunch hour?

My sun brake makes my lunch hour take 2 weeks! :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Great question!

IMHO
People tend to believe the lie they hear first.
The Ego portion of the brain being what it is; it seems that some people view a change of their beliefs as a sign of weakness.
Below is a link to Irrational behavior, it's interesting:
http://home.sprynet.com/~owl1/irrationality.htm

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My personal experience would lead me to believe that the sun revolves around the earth and the earth is flat.
A good example, and one that has come up in a number of previous discussions about science and logic. If only I had the time and motivation to go track them down (I thought about it last night)... :)

Both of those are things that people used to think were completely logical and obvious, and anyone who thought otherwise was nuts. Now, it's the opposite. So, viewpoints change, sometimes based on "data".

Now, data is not always complete, or understood, or interpreted correctly. Researchers indicated a few years ago that olive oil was horrible for people...now experts say that it's great for people. Perhaps the data changed, perhaps people viewed it differently, or perhaps it was simply communicated incorrectly the first time.

Either way, what is "logical" and "obvious" to some isn't the same to others, nor is it universally applicable.

I like the sun brakes idea! Good stuff. I don't think those would sell all that well here in the southwest, though. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the sun brakes idea! Good stuff. I don't think those would sell all that well here in the southwest, though. :D
Due to the magnetic polarfication in your area, Moon Brakes, although slightly more expensive are the prefered thermal attenuation device. :)
How many would you like to order?

itschris

itschris

Values play a large role in how things are interpreted. Right and wrong is black and white. The grey area everyone likes to talk about is merely the wiggle room we allow ourselves to feel better about not doing what we know we should... generally speaking.

On any given day, on any large sample, you'll have close to a 45/55 splite on any given topic... a week later it could 45/55 the other way. We all interpret things differently and for different reasons as well. Even though you and I may agree on something, our motivation to do so, the reasonings behind it, may be entirely different.

For example, look at big fat speaker cable. I know $500 cable sounds no better than $40 cable, but I may still buy it for any number of others reasons that you may not agree with or care about.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Expensive amps sound better.

Car audio marketed speakers sound better because they cost more than the un-badged OEM versions of them.

You go to a concert and turn your back to the singer. I know I like my stage to be behind me.

Oh, and yes, man can fly without propulsion or use of speed/wings. Just flap your arms very fast.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the bio/psych mechanism is similar to that of depression. We've all heard of electro-shock treatment. This still gets used today when all other methods fail. Funny thing is that electro-shock often works. The reason goes something like this: your neurons get more and more attached to each other through what's called Hebb's Rule. On a simple scale, the more 2 neurons interact with each other, the stronger the connection. "Neurons that fire together, wire together." The reason shock therapy works is because by sending such a large jolt of targeted electricity, you're weakening some of these attachments and thus relieving depression. Think of someone with curly hair that has it straightened. Yes, the hair is straight for some time, but little by little, it curls right back up. This is why shock therapy only works for a while before another treatment is needed.

Now, all we need to figure out is how to directly wire the two amplifiers we're comparing to our brains and induce a shock before we begin critical listening :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Really?

Why do they do it?

People that resist countless DBTs, and other blatantly obvious tests that show clearly what is, and what isn't true. Is it possible that there are so many people that follow this line of thought are the same kind of people that are killing the economy? Are they just plain stupid? (eh, maybe that one's a combination of greed and stupid).

Forgive my mini-rant. I just comprehend what could possibly be going through someone's head when they deny logic, and truly believe their bias must be, and has to be correct.
Yes, many people are stupid, and unfortunately many of them are editors in leading magazines :confused:
Or otherways sitting in leading positions....

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
the same kind of people that are killing the economy? Are they just plain stupid? (eh, maybe that one's a combination of greed and stupid).
Yes, many people are stupid, ...
What I don't understand when I read posts like this is why the bully mentality? Are you insecure? Do you feel so threatened by these people that you need to attack? What's going on here, and how could it possibly be helpful?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, many people are stupid, and unfortunately many of them are editors in leading magazines :confused:
Or otherways sitting in leading positions....
Actually those people are predatory liars. Consumers of their wares would be considered the beguiled.

Last edited:
yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Why? It's the fun and cool thing to do in this day and age?
Idiocracy? Getting closer.....

PS: DUBS :D :D :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
What I don't understand when I read posts like this is why the bully mentality? Are you insecure? Do you feel so threatened by these people that you need to attack? What's going on here, and how could it possibly be helpful?
ever heard about sarcasm :cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking for myself let me say that I am a sarcastic, insecure and mean spirited bully that feels threatened by differing world views. Due to my reduced intellectual abilities all I can come up with is words like 'stupid' to sling around.

That about cover it?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Speaking for myself let me say that I am a sarcastic, insecure and mean spirited bully that feels threatened by differing world views. Due to my reduced intellectual abilities all I can come up with is words like 'stupid' to sling around.

That about cover it?
You forgot about how you only bully people because you really want them to like you, but are socially awkward and your dad never loved you. :D:p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, so it’s sarcastic mean-spirited bullying. The question still stands, why take this approach?
Why not?

If you want to read mean-spirited bullying, please read the post by senior editor Michael Fremer representing Stereophile.... in this forum.

That's the meanest mean-spirited bullying ever :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis