Why did plasma go extinct.??

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think also, manufacturers pushed plasma out. $$$
Imo, the majority of tv buyers care about cost vs screen size. That means they will gladly give up some PQ for screen size. It’s too bad too. LCD SUUUUUCKS, and soap opera effect induced by 120hz is worse than the motion blur it was meant to deal with. I would love to do an OLED but I’m kinda paranoid about burn in. My plasma has no burn in, but does have image retention after certain viewings, or gaming. I’m also a nazi about paused images and will play music on the PS3 to use the screen saver to “wash” the screen.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Imo, the majority of tv buyers care about cost vs screen size. That means they will gladly give up some PQ for screen size. It’s too bad too. LCD SUUUUUCKS, and soap opera effect induced by 120hz is worse than the motion blur it was meant to deal with. I would love to do an OLED but I’m kinda paranoid about burn in. My plasma has no burn in, but does have image retention after certain viewings, or gaming. I’m also a nazi about paused images and will play music on the PS3 to use the screen saver to “wash” the screen.
Are oled even 240 hz or higher?
Samsung is making these ? https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/19/05/02/apple-continuing-work-on-hybrid-displays-mixing-oled-quantum-dot-led
All the more reason to keep hunting for a job haha .55-75” would cost a lot
Oled burn in?

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Samsung is working on a hybrid technology called QD-OLED that features a much brighter OLED display with the addition of Quantum Dots. Don't know when it will be available, but that's what I'm waiting for. Until then my 11 year old Pioneer Plasma's will hopefully still be running.
That is interesting that they are pushing such tech out as they are also releasing the microLED that is supposed to be superior to OLED. QD-OLED is maybe cheaper to produce in smaller sizes?
I haven't had any burn in issues with my OLED, but then again I haven't let static pictures for long periods. When I was buying the TV I was looking for some tests and if you watch various content between the static images and you are not setting your TV to brightest settings you would need hundreds of hours of static image to have burn in, so the risk should be minimal. In the test case I think they let the TV every day for static image for 8 or 16 hours and I think they ran the "screen wash" once a week and it took months to get permanent burn in.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That is interesting that they are pushing such tech out as they are also releasing the microLED that is supposed to be superior to OLED. QD-OLED is maybe cheaper to produce in smaller sizes?

I haven't had any burn in issues with my OLED, but then again I haven't let static pictures for long periods. When I was buying the TV I was looking for some tests and if you watch various content between the static images and you are not setting your TV to brightest settings you would need hundreds of hours of static image to have burn in, so the risk should be minimal. In the test case I think they let the TV every day for static image for 8 or 16 hours and I think they ran the "screen wash" once a week and it took months to get permanent burn in.
Sounds like you would have to intentionally kill a tv to get burn in..::

Now if only they can find a type of tv with the pixel qualities and depth of a plasma with the speakers extended color gamut’s that my non hdr tv is lacking .

Micro led. ? Even thinner ??

Free the reptile aliens

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic

Micro LED is exceedingly expensive right now -- in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. A lot more time is needed for this technology to come down in price.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Micro LED is exceedingly expensive right now -- in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. A lot more time is needed for this technology to come down in price.
If I remember correctly also the first models of OLED were in tens if thousands when they came out and now they are the "main stream" TV on market. But yes, for microLED to be available for consumers would take couple years to get the price down. Don't know how this QD-OLED will be priced on launch, I would assume quite high as well.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If I remember correctly also the first models of OLED were in tens if thousands when they came out and now they are the "main stream" TV on market. But yes, for microLED to be available for consumers would take couple years to get the price down. Don't know how this QD-OLED will be priced on launch, I would assume quite high as well.
It seems until something is mass manufacturered it’s expensive. Plus new technology is always expensive.
Remember those clunky projector TVs.... these are so much lighter .
Not sure why trash companies take old TVs they are full of toxic gassed .
They did have better speakers that’s it .
These are like the precursor or ancestors of plasma ??
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-projection_television
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
The new TCL 8 series looks like another good one from them. I have a 55” 2018 6 series and it’s great. The new 6 series adds a lot of new technologies for the same price. Hopefully they have addressed the dse issues they were having issues with.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, if you really want a plasma, there are 103" Panasonic units on eBay for $3,000.

That's a steal compared to their original $50,000+ price tag.

If I was in the NYC area, I would at least drive by and try to see one of them up and in action to ensure it was working properly, but then I would probably pick one up.

But, for me, it was a sad day when my Pioneer plasma was destroyed by my kids. Their still alive, but barely. Replaced it with a Samsung, and was happy with that image for years. Replaced it last year with a clearly inferior 85" LCD, but the LCD is much brighter in our family room which is a perk.

Still have my 64" Samsung and will put that up in my basement for sports viewing I expect.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So, if you really want a plasma, there are 103" Panasonic units on eBay for $3,000.

That's a steal compared to their original $50,000+ price tag.

If I was in the NYC area, I would at least drive by and try to see one of them up and in action to ensure it was working properly, but then I would probably pick one up.

But, for me, it was a sad day when my Pioneer plasma was destroyed by my kids. Their still alive, but barely. Replaced it with a Samsung, and was happy with that image for years. Replaced it last year with a clearly inferior 85" LCD, but the LCD is much brighter in our family room which is a perk.

Still have my 64" Samsung and will put that up in my basement for sports viewing I expect.
Both led and lcd are lower quality then plasma most are brighter except my non hdr model wich was Sony’s worse model ever produced.
I don’t have a job but wow why were those plasma 59k new ? And weird
If I had the money I’d need my own house to fit a tv that large ... which I’d need a high paying job in a dead economy . Middle class is extinct in USA

Free the reptile aliens

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
One of the biggest reasons plasma tv went extinct was simply that they were energy hogs. One or two tvs might not make much difference in the big picture but when you take millions of tv sets all consuming many times the power that an OLED or LCD would, you are talking some very serious environmental damage. Personally, I own a Samsung 82" LCD and am very satisfied with the picture quality.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
One of the biggest reasons plasma tv went extinct was simply that they were energy hogs. One or two tvs might not make much difference in the big picture but when you take millions of tv sets all consuming many times the power that an OLED or LCD would, you are talking some very serious environmental damage. Personally, I own a Samsung 82" LCD and am very satisfied with the picture quality.
My newer led has worst picture then my old 2011 lcd .

Free the reptile aliens

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe you should have bought a better tv.
I was not thinking should had gotten a 42”or something smaller model . Coulda gotten hdr
2015 models costed a fortune
Too late now , stuck with it . I should had waited until I found a job so I could get oled .
Might as well wait til q oled or micro oled is affordable. Or under 4k
For $1150 , $1500 msrp it ducks

Hdr was not standard so I got ripped off woulda been better off buying a 60” led 1080p
All I can do is try and not make the same mistake again and do much more research . It was rated as a good gaming tv , maybe I need to start playing my PS3 again : it’s just it’s WiFi is broken won’t stay connected.

Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Either way if plasma hadn’t went the way of the 8 track , I would had gotten one .

I was overly skeptical of buying used tv in my price budget back then Shoulda bought used .
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
I was not thinking should had gotten a 42”or something smaller model . Coulda gotten hdr
2015 models costed a fortune
Too late now , stuck with it . I should had waited until I found a job so I could get oled .
Might as well wait til q oled or micro oled is affordable. Or under 4k
For $1150 , $1500 msrp it ducks

Hdr was not standard so I got ripped off woulda been better off buying a 60” led 1080p
All I can do is try and not make the same mistake again and do much more research . It was rated as a good gaming tv , maybe I need to start playing my PS3 again : it’s just it’s WiFi is broken won’t stay connected.

Free the reptile aliens
If your WiFi router is not close enough to your ps3 to hard wire with Ethernet buy a cheap WiFi extender plug it near you ps3 and use it’s Ethernet to plug into your ps3 bypassing your WiFi issue on your ps3.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If your WiFi router is not close enough to your ps3 to hard wire with Ethernet buy a cheap WiFi extender plug it near you ps3 and use it’s Ethernet to plug into your ps3 bypassing your WiFi issue on your ps3.
Oh well possible if I hook it up downstairs closer to the router .
The built in WiFi is defective in ps3
Hopefully someday something can replace the void plasma left in the video World ,
And for movie fans .
My led sucks
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
https://www.cnet.com/news/rip-rear-projection-tv/
Death of another technology that looked truer to the cinema then most led tv with there backlight bleed such as my Sony .

Free the reptile aliens
Examples of extinct dinosaurs of Video
world

The heavyweight of these old tv doomed them from the start .
Gotta admit they look impressive and massive screens .
Projector and led tv replaced them ?

Free the reptile aliens

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Examples of extinct dinosaurs of Video
world

The heavyweight of these old tv doomed them from the start .

Free the reptile aliens
Lmao! I owned 2 of those babies. Junk.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis