Why are SACD's out of print?

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I love 5.1 surround sound music, and alot of the SACD's that were made 10 years ago are out of print. Alot of the Genesis albums are very expensive used now, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is even $200 used! And Roxy Music - Avalon is $100 used. Many other discs are around $40-50 used. If these discs are over $100 on the used market, why don't record companies print them again? I'm sure it only costs them a dollar or less, they could make alot of money on them.

Or is it possible to download 5.1 HD audio? I've only seen websites with stereo HD audio. As far as I know, the only way to get surround audio to get actual discs..

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
We can only guess, but most likely because they don't sound any better than identical material on standard CDs, and very few buyers are interested in the 5.1 audio capabilities of SACDs for music.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
But yet, new vinyl is in print and sells for high cost now? Is the market for new vinyl that much bigger? SACD is a better format than vinyl is every way, doesn't get noisy, wow, flutter, degrade ects.

If very few buyers were interested in it used prices wouldn't be over $100 for SACDs

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because DTS NeuralX can turn high-quality 2Ch CD into 13Ch Atmos or DTSX Music.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Because DTS NeuralX can turn high-quality 2Ch CD into 13Ch Atmos or DTSX Music.
No, it only upmixes. It may be decent upmixing, but it ain't in the original recording.
But yet, new vinyl is in print and sells for high cost now? Is the market for new vinyl that much bigger? SACD is a better format than vinyl is every way, doesn't get noisy, wow, flutter, degrade ects.

If very few buyers were interested in it used prices wouldn't be over $100 for SACDs
A lot of people enjoy vinyl because of its flaws, not in spite of its flaws. It's an enjoyable and more engaging medium because it is more involving to deal with. The like the vintage sound. I don't like vinyl, but I get why its popular. Listening to a recording is more of a process with vinyl and less passive.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Yea, upmixing can sound good, but it's still not as good as a proper discrete 5.1 mix. You can't have front to back panning and pin point sound from an upmix no matter how good it is.
I don't see why people are so hung up on stereo. Why not just stick with mono then? 1 speaker is cheaper than 2. People love movies in 5.1, why not music too? Have the music coming from all around like you are in a concert hall, or the band is playing all around the room.

I have some vinyl, but I got over the fad 10 years ago. After the first time you accidentally drop the needle and put a giant scratch across a song and it's there forever, uggg no thanks. The pops drive me crazy! Or you want to skip a song, you have to get up and find the needle and drop it again. For me the process is just an annoyance to enjoying music. I can see some people might enjoy it though. I'd prefer 1" reel to reel tape machine if I was doing analog. I don't want to invest in a format that decays every time I listen to it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of people enjoy vinyl because of its flaws, not in spite of its flaws. It's an enjoyable and more engaging medium because it is more involving to deal with. The like the vintage sound. I don't like vinyl, but I get why its popular. Listening to a recording is more of a process with vinyl and less passive.
I think vinyl's popularity recently is more due to the "cool" factor than anything to do with sound. Two of our children collect vinyl, and I have to say it pained me to type that, and they both listen on old-fashioned all-in-one box players. I tried to explain that having the speaker underneath the turntable was a really bad idea, but my advice fell on deaf ears (in more ways than one, I suppose).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have some vinyl, but I got over the fad 10 years ago. After the first time you accidentally drop the needle and put a giant scratch across a song and it's there forever, uggg no thanks. The pops drive me crazy! Or you want to skip a song, you have to get up and find the needle and drop it again. For me the process is just an annoyance to enjoying music. I can see some people might enjoy it though. I'd prefer 1" reel to reel tape machine if I was doing analog. I don't want to invest in a format that decays every time I listen to it.
Magnetic tape does too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, it only upmixes. It may be decent upmixing, but it ain't in the original recording.
Yea, upmixing can sound good, but it's still not as good as a proper discrete 5.1 mix.
I'm saying that I think NeuralX upmixing of 2Ch music sounds a lot better to me than any SACD, DVD-A, and DTS-CD I ever owned, which was over 100 discs.

I'm glad I sold all those discs on AH and eBay. :D

NeuralX upmixing makes all my 2Ch CD music sound like they are Dolby Atmos music to me.

But this is in the category of personal preference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably simply not enough demand and not enough money in it. There are some more reasonably priced ones than $100 but even new ones are easily $30-50 for many titles, have you checked out this place? https://store.acousticsounds.com/g/5/Pop/Rock.

You can download multich dsd files at nativedsd.com but multich rock selections are pretty much non-existent there when I've looked.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Probably simply not enough demand and not enough money in it. There are some more reasonably priced ones than $100 but even new ones are easily $30-50 for many titles, have you checked out this place? https://store.acousticsounds.com/g/5/Pop/Rock.

You can download multich dsd files at nativedsd.com but multich rock selections are pretty much non-existent there when I've looked.
Yes, I've seen that https://store.acousticsounds.com/g/5/Pop/Rock. They don't have any Genesis albums. I'm specifically looking for all the Genesis albums. It's going to be about $1000 to get all the Genesis albums. And I'd like Roxy Music - Avalon.

I havn't seen nativedsd.com that looks good for classical recordings, doesn't seem to have any rock recordings.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I love 5.1 surround sound music, and alot of the SACD's that were made 10 years ago are out of print. Alot of the Genesis albums are very expensive used now, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is even $200 used! And Roxy Music - Avalon is $100 used. Many other discs are around $40-50 used. If these discs are over $100 on the used market, why don't record companies print them again? I'm sure it only costs them a dollar or less, they could make alot of money on them.

Or is it possible to download 5.1 HD audio? I've only seen websites with stereo HD audio. As far as I know, the only way to get surround audio to get actual discs..
I love the 5.1 channel SACD discs. Sadly, it seems the majority of SACD discs are only two channel and don't really sound any better than a standard CD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I've seen that https://store.acousticsounds.com/g/5/Pop/Rock. They don't have any Genesis albums. I'm specifically looking for all the Genesis albums. It's going to be about $1000 to get all the Genesis albums. And I'd like Roxy Music - Avalon.

I havn't seen nativedsd.com that looks good for classical recordings, doesn't seem to have any rock recordings.
Can only say good luck! Not much of a Genesis fan and don't recall seeing much of theirs in my looking for multich rock/jazz. Is it really worth $1000? Have you heard any of the recordings? Not all multich SACD is done well (or even mixed particularly for 5.1). Pickins are slim! Might check out anything available on dvd/bluray, too.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Can only say good luck! Not much of a Genesis fan and don't recall seeing much of theirs in my looking for multich rock/jazz. Is it really worth $1000? Have you heard any of the recordings? Not all multich SACD is done well (or even mixed particularly for 5.1). Pickins are slim! Might check out anything available on dvd/bluray, too.
Genesis, Yes, and Pink Floyd are my favorite bands. $1000 isn't really worth it though. So I'm trying to find out if there is any way to find their mulitchannel recordings for cheaper. I have one of their SACD's, it is good but not amazing as far as 5.1 mixes go. So I don't want to spend so much for them, I might get a couple. Yea, I agree stereo SACD's are not generally worth the bother, I have a couple and they are only slightly better than the CD.

I have 4 Yes 5.1 discs. Fragile is terrible, the rest are pretty good.
I have Dark Side of the Moon which is excellent. I'm not aware that Pink Floyd has done any other 5.1 mixes. I wish they would release more. I'd love to have some of the Beatles albums in 5.1, but I don't think they have any. It's unfortunate that no one can do a 5.1 mix for famous artists at least.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Genesis, Yes, and Pink Floyd are my favorite bands. $1000 isn't really worth it though. So I'm trying to find out if there is any way to find their mulitchannel recordings for cheaper. I have one of their SACD's, it is good but not amazing as far as 5.1 mixes go. So I don't want to spend so much for them, I might get a couple. Yea, I agree stereo SACD's are not generally worth the bother, I have a couple and they are only slightly better than the CD.

I have 4 Yes 5.1 discs. Fragile is terrible, the rest are pretty good.
I have Dark Side of the Moon which is excellent. I'm not aware that Pink Floyd has done any other 5.1 mixes. I wish they would release more. I'd love to have some of the Beatles albums in 5.1, but I don't think they have any. It's unfortunate that no one can do a 5.1 mix for famous artists at least.
You should get Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here

Beatles Yellow Submarine is avail on BluRay....

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I saw Deep Purple Machine Head in SACD on amazon. One of their best albums imho.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
We can only guess, but most likely because they don't sound any better than identical material on standard CDs, and very few buyers are interested in the 5.1 audio capabilities of SACDs for music.
I think you nailed part of this.

Actually the wow factor in SACD is in the multi-ch offerings.

But you nailed it with the supply and demand comment....while the SACD buyer market is a relatively enthusiastic market, it's a micro percentage of buyers relative to those who would buy a 44/16 CD or even a MP3 download of the same music. Muliti-ch just adds another layer of scarcity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis