Why are SACD's out of print?

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Yep same listing, different currency/price. Still appears only to be 2ch (OP is interested in multich SACD).
Maybe it is not displayed properly but i found this on one of multich sacd search websites by multi channel sacd filter. It has multichan note on the back in black rectangle.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
The best multi channel SACD that I've heard is Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms". Fantastic sound quality and use of 5 channel. Available on Ebay for reasonable prices.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I love 5.1 surround sound music, and alot of the SACD's that were made 10 years ago are out of print. Alot of the Genesis albums are very expensive used now, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is even $200 used! And Roxy Music - Avalon is $100 used. Many other discs are around $40-50 used. If these discs are over $100 on the used market, why don't record companies print them again? I'm sure it only costs them a dollar or less, they could make alot of money on them.

Or is it possible to download 5.1 HD audio? I've only seen websites with stereo HD audio. As far as I know, the only way to get surround audio to get actual discs..
Most of it is simply supply and demand, but companies are making investments into artists where they see a return.

Analogue Productions has recently released some Pink Floyd material (Wish You Were Here in Multi-ch SACD), as well as last year they released 1 of 2 Jimi Hendrix albums in stereo SACD format with the second to come out in a month or so maybe.

2channel lover

The best multi channel SACD that I've heard is Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms". Fantastic sound quality and use of 5 channel. Available on Ebay for reasonable prices.
I would need to take another listen to BIA make sure, but many of these muilti-ch SACD many do not use the CC, most are quad mixes. Brothers In Arms is very good SQ and affordable as you said.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe it is not displayed properly but i found this on one of multich sacd search websites by multi channel sacd filter. It has multichan note on the back in black rectangle.
Good eye! We'll see, ordered!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would need to take another listen to BIA make sure, but many of these muilti-ch SACD many do not use the CC, most are quad mixes. Brothers In Arms is very good SQ and affordable as you said.
My BIA is the 20th anniversary edition remixed in 5.1....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think vinyl's popularity recently is more due to the "cool" factor than anything to do with sound. Two of our children collect vinyl, and I have to say it pained me to type that, and they both listen on old-fashioned all-in-one box players. I tried to explain that having the speaker underneath the turntable was a really bad idea, but my advice fell on deaf ears (in more ways than one, I suppose).
You'd think with your system they'd appreciate high quality audio, and maybe they do, but it's interesting that they like the low-fi of the built in record player speaker.

Maybe they just like the difference? My kids aren't old enough to understand any of this other than "I like that song".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd think with your system they'd appreciate high quality audio, and maybe they do, but it's interesting that they like the low-fi of the built in record player speaker.

Maybe they just like the difference? My kids aren't old enough to understand any of this other than "I like that song".
Never bothered me when I was a kid using my own record player in my own room vs using dad's nicer setup in the living room, the "quality" of his setup was lost on me for quite a while....and I think dad preferred it that way too, he eventually got me started in a nicer stereo system later to supplement my record player in a box. Even suggested things like Janis Joplin with Big Brother (Cheap Thrills) even though he was largely into classical and played almost nothing but (some folk here and there). The quality of the system didn't really matter to me until I got to sample a lot of different systems at friends' houses and learned a bit about the gear....but it was all vinyl back then.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Never bothered me when I was a kid using my own record player in my own room vs using dad's nicer setup in the living room, the "quality" of his setup was lost on me for quite a while....and I think dad preferred it that way too, he eventually got me started in a nicer stereo system later to supplement my record player in a box. Even suggested things like Janis Joplin with Big Brother (Cheap Thrills) even though he was largely into classical and played almost nothing but (some folk here and there). The quality of the system didn't really matter to me until I got to sample a lot of different systems at friends' houses and learned a bit about the gear....but it was all vinyl back then.
I can see that, but I guess it was different for me. I noticed at about 10 that my system was garbage compared to my grandpa's. My parents are into music, but they've never really gotten into anything resembling mid or high end. They didn't even notice until I showed them what they were missing.

I used to go to the stores to listen to better systems all the time. Back when lots of stores had speaker rooms. Those are sadly few and far between now (as we all know).

I would imagine that it really depends on the age someone is when they will start to recognize something as sounding better. As I said, my kids (5,4, and 2) don't at all. I may attempt to point it out at some point, but then I'll have to share (no I won't).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan

I think many of us here who pre-date CDs forget that most people born in the 1980s grew up with digital, and even the tape format they might have been familiar with was cassettes, which hides its mechanical aspect. I find that moving parts fascinate people under 35 years old. I've run into so many who even like mechanical self-winding watches with the transparent sapphire backs, so that they can see the gears, the flywheel, and the spring. Reel-to-reel tape is the ultimate in this regard, and having been a reel-to-reel guy for recording (I owned a Crown CX-822),I understand the fascination, but RTR tape and equipment is too rare and expensive for the mainstream. I also think that's why old receivers with mechanical tuning knobs (especially the old Marantz thumb wheel models) and the slide rule frequency indicators and mechanical tuning meters are so popular. I remember when "no moving parts" was a novelty; now moving parts are a novelty. And to the non-technical folks I think the notion of getting stereo sound from a tiny needle in a groove blows their minds. Never mind that most mainstream turntables convert to digital these days; it still looks like alien magic to them. ;)

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Most of it is simply supply and demand, but companies are making investments into artists where they see a return.

Analogue Productions has recently released some Pink Floyd material (Wish You Were Here in Multi-ch SACD), as well as last year they released 1 of 2 Jimi Hendrix albums in stereo SACD format with the second to come out in a month or so maybe.
Ehh, Jimi Hendrix in stereo is kind of a waste it should be 5.1! I would buy it in 5.1, in 2.0 I don't think I will bother.

The Moody Blues SACD's blow me away, they were from the quad mixes in the 70's. The music takes on a whole new 3D life in 5.1 I'd love to hear Radiohead OK Computer in 5.1, that would be epic! Too bad that album was butchered when it was mastered, all the dynamics got smashed and compressed. It's hard for me to enjoy now, the sound quality is so bad. Even with the 20th anniversary edition, they kept the terrible compressed mastering yuck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can see that, but I guess it was different for me. I noticed at about 10 that my system was garbage compared to my grandpa's. My parents are into music, but they've never really gotten into anything resembling mid or high end. They didn't even notice until I showed them what they were missing.

I used to go to the stores to listen to better systems all the time. Back when lots of stores had speaker rooms. Those are sadly few and far between now (as we all know).

I would imagine that it really depends on the age someone is when they will start to recognize something as sounding better. As I said, my kids (5,4, and 2) don't at all. I may attempt to point it out at some point, but then I'll have to share (no I won't).
Yeah at 10 I had no clue. Got the better stereo system at 12 or so, and could play both records and 8-tracks! It wasn't until I was about 15 and got around to see more systems (mostly of my friends' parents, some older siblings) that I even appreciated what dad had as being pretty good. My grandparents on both sides had the furniture kind of console stereos....they never impressed me much. Then when I had a part time job at 16 could finally buy something for myself.

Thanks, I didn't know about Wish you were Here! I'm getting that one now!
I think Yellow Submarine is the animated movie, it would still be cool. Would like Sgt. Peppers in 5.1!!
It was the very first SACD on that link I provided earlier that you said you'd been to.... ;)

Yes, Yellow Submarine is the movie. There's this for Sgt Pepper https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=290523

2channel lover

Ehh, Jimi Hendrix in stereo is kind of a waste it should be 5.1! I would buy it in 5.1, in 2.0 I don't think I will bother.

The Moody Blues SACD's blow me away, they were from the quad mixes in the 70's. The music takes on a whole new 3D life in 5.1 I'd love to hear Radiohead OK Computer in 5.1, that would be epic! Too bad that album was butchered when it was mastered, all the dynamics got smashed and compressed. It's hard for me to enjoy now, the sound quality is so bad. Even with the 20th anniversary edition, they kept the terrible compressed mastering yuck.
Hendrix, I feel differently, but totally understand.

As most have said the wow factor is in multi-ch and I agree with that. I have "Bold As Love" SACD and it's great, but it's been remastered as well. I have "Are You Experienced" in 44/16 CD so I will be able to compare the SACD version when it comes out as it's supposed to be remastered also.

Wishing You Were Here is awesome, but admittedly it took me a couple of passes before I embraced it.

2channel lover

10...wow, talk about ahead of the curve!

Actually a neighborhood friend's older brother got me into music on a different kind of level...He had a Sansui system with some technics speakers. Of course everything was albums back then, but all I really knew was it sounded better than my folk's old console system with integrated speakers....I was about 13 or so then.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hendrix, I feel differently, but totally understand.

As most have said the wow factor is in multi-ch and I agree with that. I have "Bold As Love" SACD and it's great, but it's been remastered as well. I have "Are You Experienced" in 44/16 CD so I will be able to compare the SACD version when it comes out as it's supposed to be remastered also.

Wishing You Were Here is awesome, but admittedly it took me a couple of passes before I embraced it.
The Bold as Love is this mono/stereo SACD?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's good to recall all the different playback formats over the years.

When I started to work, I didn't have much money and was using a monophonic portable system in a box with a 78 rpm turntable. Later on, I built my first tube amplifier from a schematic in a Radio-Electronics magazine. It was a 10 watt tube amplifier.
Shortly afterwards, as I wanted to play LPs, I built a tube preamp which I added to the amp chassis. I bought a Elac turntable and followed with several vinyl purchases until the time I got a Mercury LP featuring David Carroll's RePercussion recording. Because of the massive low frequency peaks on the disc, the cartridge I was using then couldn't properly track it, so I had to get a more decent cartridge.
I had a lot of enjoyment with that equipment until I switched to stereo with a Fisher 202 tube stereo amp and built speaker enclosures using Goodman drivers. The new turntable was a Thorens TD-124 equipped with a Pickering cartridge installed in a SME 3012 tone arm. In the early 1980's, I switched to SS electronics with Crown IC150 preamp and Harman Kardon Citation 12 & Sony TA-3200 Power amps and Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theater speakers in own design 8 cf ducted cabinets.
In the early 2000's, I moved on to surround playback possibility which evolved to my current HT system.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis