ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I looked a little, not all that interested. I followed him more when I was a Californian :) I do like this part from the wiki page:

Issa soon turned Steal Stopper around, to the point that it was supplying Ford with thousands of car alarms and negotiating a similar deal with Toyota. But early in the morning of September 7, 1982, the offices and factory of Quantum and Steal Stopper in the Cleveland suburb of Maple Heights caught fire. The fire took three hours to put out. The buildings and almost all the inventory within were destroyed. An investigation of the cause of the fire noted "suspicious burn patterns" with fires starting in two places aided by an accelerant such as gasoline.[16]
Adkins said Issa appeared to prepare for a fire by increasing the fire insurance policy by 462% three weeks previously, and by removing computer equipment holding accounting and customer information. St. Paul Insurance, suspicious of arson and insurance fraud, initially paid only $25,000, according to Issa.
Strangely, this seems to sum perfectly the day I've experienced so far. My surreal filter needs needs a massage. And a double Makers, neat.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm not sure whether he still has financial ties to the company, but he started it (DEI Holdings) back in the 80s or 90s and made his fortune selling their car alarm products. He was always one of, if not THE richest people in Congress. When he went into Congress, he resigned his position as CEO. This was long before they bought D&M, and probably well before they bought Polk and Definitive.
Pretty sure that when he entered Congress, it was mandatory that they divest their control over their holdings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure that when he entered Congress, it was mandatory that they divest their control over their holdings.
I think I saw that he merely resigned as CEO, but may have also resigned from the board....don't think they require true divestment....

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Denon and Marantz were under D+M Holdings. They were then acquired by Sound United. I have been incredibly impressed with Sound United’s care and curation of both brands. The build quality of Denon’s newest flagship the AVR-X8500H is unbelievable. As you’ll soon see when the review gets posted the Denon is worthy of AVR of the year honors. It’s reminiscent of Denon’s glory days. I have no hesitation about having this unit serve as my reference in my theater.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon and Marantz were under D+M Holdings. They were then acquired by Sound United. I have been incredibly impressed with Sound United’s care and curation of both brands. The build quality of Denon’s newest flagship the AVR-X8500H is unbelievable. As you’ll soon see when the review gets posted the Denon is worthy of AVR of the year honors. It’s reminiscent of Denon’s glory days. I have no hesitation about having this unit serve as my reference in my theater.
And Sound United is a wholly owned division of DEI holdings which is also owns several aftermarket car electronics related brands

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The build quality of Denon’s newest flagship the AVR-X8500H is unbelievable.
That's what I said about the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.......until it malfunctioned after 8 years.

Although my Denon AVR-5308CI still works fine, but is now sitting in a box.

You would spend that much money on an AVR ($4K retail), instead of going separates?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, they were D&M Holdings,, then D+M Group before Sound United/DEI acquired them. I hope they do well under Sound United but my one customer service interaction after purchase was fairly disappointing (re firmware update to apps on my 4520). I've read several nice things about the 8500. We'll see how their contractor's execution works out over time for less than flagship line models...

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
That's what I said about the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.......until it malfunctioned after 8 years.

Although my Denon AVR-5308CI still works fine, but is now sitting in a box.

You would spend that much money on an AVR ($4K retail), instead of going separates?
I found the X8500H to be exceptional and a great value. 13-on board amps, assignable, with 15 pre-outs and you’re not filling up an entire rack with equipment. You have the flexibility of using the internal amps or supplementing with external amps with the Denon’s excellent preamp stage. A great setup in a mutizone home is putting three monoblocks on the fronts and assigning the internal amps for the rest of the channels and Zone 2 and Zone 3.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Come to the dark side Luke. Join Yamaha, a company who owns itself .
He already has the new Yamaha RX-A3080 for his HT system. :D

But he had some issues with the WiFi Music Streaming Service on his RX-A3080.

So he is hoping that the Denon X3400 will have better results.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He already has the new Yamaha RX-A3080 for his HT system. :D

But he had some issues with the WiFi Music Streaming Service on his RX-A3080.

So he is hoping that the Denon X3400 will have better results.
Altho is having trouble getting the Alexa integrated, with Heos or however that works, so he can talk to it....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I found the X8500H to be exceptional and a great value. 13-on board amps, assignable, with 15 pre-outs and you’re not filling up an entire rack with equipment. You have the flexibility of using the internal amps or supplementing with external amps with the Denon’s excellent preamp stage. A great setup in a mutizone home is putting three monoblocks on the fronts and assigning the internal amps for the rest of the channels and Zone 2 and Zone 3.
I think it will be a great future value, future = in about 10-15 months from now.:D For now, it is still great value but only relative to its blood relative/sister, namely the ridiculously priced AV8805.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it will be a great future value, future = in about 10-15 months from now.:D For now, it is still great value but only relative to its blood relative/sister, namely the ridiculously priced AV8805.
Yeah, it's a great value if it still works in 8 years and only if you have a 7.1.6 Atmos system.

If you only have a 5.1.4 Atmos system, then the X4400 or Yamaha RX-A2070 is a much better value with the same Sound Quality.

If you have a 7.1.4 Atmos system, then the X6400 is a much better value with the same sound quality.

If you are going to be using external amps in addition to your $4 or $5K AVR, might as well get a pre-pro IMO. :D

However, I do understand if you have something like a Denon X3000/4000 or Yamaha A1000/2000 and you need additional amps for Atmos or other zones or if your speakers need the extra power. ;)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm surprised @TLS Guy hasn't said anything yet about a $4,000 AV Receiver vs Separates. :D

The only thing worse would be a $5K AVR (Emotiva, Arcam, Lexicon, Audio-Control, etc.).

I can't believe I bought a $5,500 AVR 8 years ago. Now I'm selling it on Craigslist for like $800 and nobody wants to buy it. Not very great value. :eek:

My ATI Amps? Great value! I didn't spend too much over $2K on my ATI AT3005 7 years ago and just sold it for $2K. :D

I didn't spend too much over $1200 on my AT3002 8 years ago and sold it for $1200 a few months ago.

Expensive AVR = Bad Value IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis