highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
And Sound United is a wholly owned division of DEI holdings which is also owns several aftermarket car electronics related brands
He already has the new Yamaha RX-A3080 for his HT system. :D

But he had some issues with the WiFi Music Streaming Service on his RX-A3080.

So he is hoping that the Denon X3400 will have better results.
That's the reason WiFi shouldn't be used for this unless the router is close- AVRs are often hidden, blocking the signal. I have never seen an issue when the device was hard-wired and even then, the problems are going to be network-based unless a hardware issue exists.

highfigh

highfigh

I think I saw that he merely resigned as CEO, but may have also resigned from the board....don't think they require true divestment....
He and his wife gave up control, although I'm sure he does something via a wink and a nod.

highfigh

highfigh

And Sound United is a wholly owned division of DEI holdings which is also owns several aftermarket car electronics related brands
Issa used to write a column in a trade mag for car audio dealers, back in the early-'80s. Some good advice in there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's the reason WiFi shouldn't be used for this unless the router is close- AVRs are often hidden, blocking the signal. I have never seen an issue when the device was hard-wired and even then, the problems are going to be network-based unless a hardware issue exists.
I have Ethernet wire from my Yamaha to the modem as well.

My MusicCast has worked 100% of the time streaming music from my iPad and Samsung S9 Phone to my Yamaha via WiFi. 100% of the time.

But I don't ever use Internet Radio, Pandora, or whatever service they have. :D

highfigh

highfigh

I have Ethernet wire from my Yamaha to the modem as well.

My MusicCast has worked 100% of the time streaming music from my iPad and Samsung S9 Phone to my Yamaha via WiFi. 100% of the time.

But I don't ever use Internet Radio, Pandora, or whatever service they have. :D
I have used some of the streaming services and internet radio- the latter is a great alternative to bad reception and the stations can be saved to Favorites, so they're easy to recall. Wired is just more reliable and when a house has a large number of wireless devices, it just doesn't make sense to try to use one or even two channels for everything when several people are placing high demand on the network. I installed EERO router/access points in a house and even when they're not home, the app shows 18-20 wireless devices connected, including Apple, Roku and Nest products. All of the Apple are hand-held and the Nest are never wired unless the hub is included. The Roku are TVs. Unless a router has many channels, it doesn't take long to outgrow it. Even network switches are in jeopardy when they can't pass Gigabit on each port and in a few cases, I have to reboot them in order to get them to clear any stored data which, I have always been told, isn't much and it's odd to need to do this.

https://www.cepro.com/article/wireless_networking_second_rate_vs_hardwired

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, it's a great value if it still works in 8 years and only if you have a 7.1.6 Atmos system.

If you only have a 5.1.4 Atmos system, then the X4400 or Yamaha RX-A2070 is a much better value with the same Sound Quality.

If you have a 7.1.4 Atmos system, then the X6400 is a much better value with the same sound quality.

If you are going to be using external amps in addition to your $4 or $5K AVR, might as well get a pre-pro IMO. :D

However, I do understand if you have something like a Denon X3000/4000 or Yamaha A1000/2000 and you need additional amps for Atmos or other zones or if your speakers need the extra power. ;)
I meant for those who must have 6 Atmos speakers and 2 surround backs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I meant for those who must have 6 Atmos speakers and 2 surround backs.
Yeah, for 13CH Atmos 7.1.6, I think the only other components in similar price range is the $4,500 AV8805 (as you stated),the $4,000 Monoprice HTP-1, and the ATI ATP-16 (? Price).

So the $4K X8500 (which already has 13CH amps) is a good value from the immediate financial point of view. :D

Regarding "future value", only time will tell. If it lasts 10 years or more, then I say it's a good value. If the 13Ch amp + other circuits SOMEHOW make it even less reliable (with all those electronics horseshoed inside that chassis),then it will not be a good value.

So hopefully it will be reliable for at least 10 years.

If the $4K Monoprice HTP-1 pre-pro lasts 20 years and the $4K X8500 only lasts 8 years, then I'd say the Monoprice HTP-1 is a better value. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, for 13CH Atmos 7.1.6, I think the only other components in similar price range is the $4,500 AV8805 (as you stated),the $4,000 Monoprice HTP-1, and the ATI ATP-16 (? Price).

So the $4K X8500 (which already has 13CH amps) is a good value from the immediate financial point of view. :D

Regarding "future value", only time will tell. If it lasts 10 years or more, then I say it's a good value. If the 13Ch amp + other circuits SOMEHOW make it even less reliable (with all those electronics horseshoed inside that chassis),then it will not be a good value.

If the $4K Monoprice HTP-1 pre-pro lasts 20 years and the $4K X8500 only lasts 8 years, then I'd say the Monoprice HTP-1 is a better value. Only time will tell.
Think HDCP 2.3 and HDMI 2.1 will force upgrades for all of us at some point. I’m not clear on what HDR10+ will require as well as other new technologies. So 20 years is not likely. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I did say future value equal 10-15 months from now, meaning based on at least $1000, possibly $1500 or more price drop, Just look at the price drop of the x7200w, or the C$2999 Marantz sr7011 that dropped to C$999 at BB at the lowest point last October. The AV8802a also dropped like a ton of rock, at one point though it look a few months longer.. At full price I would touch anything like that..

Correction: It was C$999 at Bestbuy last October, not $899/Dec, for the SR7012. Also, the SR7012 was listed C$2999, not C$2499 at launch time. Still that was the greatest deal I have ever missed, if I didn't, I would have bought and store it as a back up to my X4400H:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did say future value equal 10-15 months from now, meaning based on at least $1000, possibly $1500 or more price drop, Just look at the price drop of the x7200w, or the C$2499 Marantz sr7011 that dropped to C$899 at BB at the lowest point last December. The AV8802a also dropped like a ton of rock, at one point though it look a few months longer.. At full price I would touch anything like that..
Oh, true. The price could drop almost 50% when the next model comes out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Think HDCP 2.3 and HDMI 2.1 will force upgrades for all of us at some point. I’m not clear on what HDR10+ will require as well as other new technologies. So 20 years is not likely. :)
I think most people are already happy with their current 4K UHD HDR10 TVs and PJs. So I don't think it's going to force too many people to upgrade for the Video.

HDMI was a significant upgrade.

I think Atmos/DSU/NeuralX is a significant sound upgrade.

I don't know about 8K/HDR10+, etc.

Could there be another significant sound/video technology upgrade in 10, 15, 20 years? :D

Will they do what @andyblackcat suggests and put speakers in the FLOOR and call it Atmos 7.1.4.4? :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of folk who talk about buying gear as an "investment" :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Come to the dark side Luke. Join Yamaha, a company who owns itself .
They got my $900 for the SR6012 already... I'm sure its not going to be refunded because the company is blowing, or was once owned by Issa. So we'll see where we end up n a couple years... Emotiva builds a cool RMC-1-Lite for 3500? Anthem? Yamaha?
I'm more interested in which room correction ends up being the lesser evil. I know Shady is down with Dirac. And a lot of people like ARC.
Gonna have to save for a bit before I can do any of those!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They got my $900 for the SR6012 already... I'm sure its not going to be refunded because the company is blowing, or was once owned by Issa. So we'll see where we end up n a couple years... Emotiva builds a cool RMC-1-Lite for 3500? Anthem? Yamaha?
I'm more interested in which room correction ends up being the lesser evil. I know Shady is down with Dirac. And a lot of people like ARC.
Gonna have to save for a bit before I can do any of those!
There are others in the game, too...Trinnov would be nice...RoomPerfect might be too.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think most people are already happy with their current 4K UHD HDR10 TVs and PJs. So I don't think it's going to force too many people to upgrade for the Video.

Could there be another significant sound/video technology upgrade in 10, 15, 20 years? :D

Will they do what @andyblackcat suggests and put speakers in the FLOOR and call it Atmos 7.1.4.4? :D
I haven’t heard much about how HDCP 2.3 will affect us but that’s my biggest worry.

I also think many folks will buy TVs with HDR10+ and want the receiver to pass it thru to a HDR10+ UHD player (when those exist and discs exist), but it’s likely those players have a HDMI to the TV and a separate HDMI to the receiver to get around that. :)

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Altho is having trouble getting the Alexa integrated, with Heos or however that works, so he can talk to it....
There are some specific steps that need to happen for the integration and I document them in my Marantz SR 7012 review. I touch up on the steps again in the Denon X8500H review. It is harder than it should be but that’s an Amazon issue

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Yeah, it's a great value if it still works in 8 years and only if you have a 7.1.6 Atmos system.

If you only have a 5.1.4 Atmos system, then the X4400 or Yamaha RX-A2070 is a much better value with the same Sound Quality.

If you have a 7.1.4 Atmos system, then the X6400 is a much better value with the same sound quality.

If you are going to be using external amps in addition to your $4 or $5K AVR, might as well get a pre-pro IMO. :D

However, I do understand if you have something like a Denon X3000/4000 or Yamaha A1000/2000 and you need additional amps for Atmos or other zones or if your speakers need the extra power. ;)
My setup is indeed a 7.2.6. Technically my setup is 7.2.8 But there isn’t something in the real world price point that supports that yet.

If someone is not running a 9.2.4 or 7.2.6 then there is clearly less value proposition in the flagship model and one of the step downs would possibly make more sense.

However the fact that you can run a lesser immersive audio configuration and still have assignable amps to power independent zone 2 and zone 3 is also appealing for some users.

I have traditionally been a purely separates guy and the X7200WA and now X8500H have changed my tune. And I think that’s an important point someone who wants to have 13 channels of amplification and doesn’t want to spend the money for the extra amps or doesn’t have the space has a real option here.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Think his version was called CATMOS, right? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis